Calvin Ramsay

16 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

The answer to your question is because Bolton have a right back and we dont.

I realise its not the best example in this case as we do have a right back of sorts as opposed to several other positions where we simply dont (or wont come summer).

Ive already said this in a discussion about (prior to this season) Danny Ward.  Why would we take in a player who cant get a game for (insert perceived shite guffy team) etc etc.  Because Kelle Roos.  That's why.  

Goalkeepers I think are more of a special case.

But the reason I don't want us going anywhere near Ramsay is because he hasn't been able to prove himself capable of being an effective player anywhere after his well documented injury problems. Just because he's a local loon who has played well for us in the past isn't a reason for us to be a rehabilitation centre for him. Ideally we will sign an upgrade on Devlin this summer but not an experimental one. If we announced that we were signing another player from Bolton who couldn't make their matchday squad on a regular basis I think most of here would be thinking "What the fuck????". 

We signed Morris from an EFL1 club (for not insignificant money).....he could barely get off the Fleetwood bench. Look how that turned out.

I really do hope Ramsay can get himself fully fit and back to the player he once was prior to leaving us but I'd like him to do it elsewhere and if that upsets some folk on here I can live with it. If...and only if.....he manages to do that would I want him back

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Goalkeepers I think are more of a special case.

But the reason I don't want us going anywhere near Ramsay is because he hasn't been able to prove himself capable of being an effective player anywhere after his well documented injury problems. Just because he's a local loon who has played well for us in the past isn't a reason for us to be a rehabilitation centre for him. Ideally we will sign an upgrade on Devlin this summer but not an experimental one. If we announced that we were signing another player from Bolton who couldn't make their matchday squad on a regular basis I think most of here would be thinking "What the fuck????". 

We signed Morris from an EFL1 club (for not insignificant money).....he could barely get off the Fleetwood bench. Look how that turned out.

I really do hope Ramsay can get himself fully fit and back to the player he once was prior to leaving us but I'd like him to do it elsewhere and if that upsets some folk on here I can live with it. If...and only if.....he manages to do that would I want him back

We signed players from that level of football that couldn’t get games for their teams and were great for us. We’ve signed players who were starters and turned out to be shit, so saying you wouldn’t take him back because he can’t get into the Preston or Bolton teams and he hasn’t proved himself down there is a bit silly 

• Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, thurso said:

We signed players from that level of football that couldn’t get games for their teams and were great for us. We’ve signed players who were starters and turned out to be shit, so saying you wouldn’t take him back because he can’t get into the Preston or Bolton teams and he hasn’t proved himself down there is a bit silly 

We did? Can you name me one?

1 hour ago, DD1903 said:

Adam Rooney ? 

Played 33 times for Oldham in the 6 months he was with them for before joining us

1 hour ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Barry Robson?

Played 18 times for Sheffield United in the 4 months or so he was with them after signing a short term deal

15 minutes ago, sheepcrooky said:

Shaelum Logan?

Played 19 times for Brentford between August to late January before joining us on loan, admittedly he was dropped for 7 weeks in that period but was back getting game time after this

2 minutes ago, Roberto said:

I rest my case. Duncan Shearer.

The parameter was "couldn't get into the team". 

The season only had about 8 weeks to go when he signed for them and he played 6 times...supposedly to replace the injured Mike Newell but some say it was really to weaken Swindon who were promotion rivals to Blackburn. 

1 minute ago, Ten Caat said:

The parameter was "couldn't get into the team". 

The season only had about 8 weeks to go when he signed for them and he played 6 times...supposedly to replace the injured Mike Newell but some say it was really to weaken Swindon who were promotion rivals to Blackburn. 

I don't really care what the parameters are, if it means I can mention the great Duncan Shearer I will.

• Upvote 1
Just now, DD1903 said:

Wasn't all starts though. So I'm taking it. And some sites say 24 games.

So getting on from the bench doesnt count? 

it was 24 league matches, the rest in cups.

This was about us signing players from ECL/EFL1 who couldn't get playing time (ie not even making the bench) at the club they are at. As Ramsay can't do now 

2 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Played 33 times for Oldham in the 6 months he was with them for before joining us

Played 18 times for Sheffield United in the 4 months or so he was with them after signing a short term deal

Played 19 times for Brentford between August to late January before joining us on loan, admittedly he was dropped for 7 weeks in that period but was back getting game time after this

Adam Rooney played 24 league games but had only scored 4 league goals that’s hardly a record of setting the league alight. If you listen to his interviews he admits himself he was struggling before joining us. 

Scott vernon was hardly a great striker before joining us but turned out alright.