Christian Ramirez

7 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

It's his level. His level was known before we signed him. That's the level that Glass and Russell thought was good enough. 

He makes some occasional good runs inside the box to find space.  Control is average. 

But that's it. 

Haven't seen him hit the ball cleanly once. And always seems to be on his heels rather than his toes, anticipation is poor.  And looks like he is running through treacle. 

8 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

I didn’t include his headers I.e. against Utd as that technically isn’t striking the ball, which you said you’d never seen him do cleanly

That's fine if you want to get literal about it.

Do you think he's generally a good striker of the ball? 

Because I don't. 

But I accept you see things completely differently. 

3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

That's fine if you want to get literal about it.

Do you think he's generally a good striker of the ball? 

Because I don't. 

But I accept you see things completely differently. 

I don’t think his finishing is that good, no.

He makes good intelligent runs, but his control and options are quite poor. He doesn’t hold the ball up well enough for me either

I just don’t make silly comments which are clearly easily proved wrong.

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I pretty much said the same as that up above. 

I only showed you a couple of instances he did strike the ball cleanly as you must’ve missed them. I didn’t comment on your other points, indeed I took the time to remove them to highlight the part I was responding to

Ramirez needs service, a quick youtube search shows that most of his MLS goals were down to him being in the box and being a decent predator to solid delivery, or him playing off the last man (high defensive lines) and getting in behind despite his lack of pace due to poor defending. No surprise that wee Ramsay getting in crosses has been his best outlet.

We don't have a style of play, and we don't get crosses into the box from the bye-line or even from deep bar Ramsay, so we don't play to Ramirez's strengths. However if the manager want's to play a different style (passing, pressing, between the lines, work the ball in channels etc) why was Ramirez signed? Did Glass sanction this or was he told to take him by our USA overlords.

The only half decent game I've seen him play was when he had a partner up front. Isolating him up there with 0 creativity behind is doing him no favours. He's not good enough for that.

9 central midfielders and 1 striker yet we have a FT striker coach on the books. Don't understand it.

Guest findlay_1903
31 minutes ago, RAZOR said:

Just watching the lowlights. Diving cunt actually should have scored in the first half instead of the theatrics.

I thought this at the time. 

He’s  certainly not the worst striker we’ve ever had. But could do with a little bit more. 
He’s quite capable of fashioning a chance from a corner, which impressed me yesterday, slick movement. 

I’m not writing American Chris off yet, if he was playing with a couple nifty offensive players he’d look alright I reckon. 

DTID 

2 minutes ago, findlay_1903 said:

I thought this at the time. 

He’s  certainly not the worst striker we’ve ever had. But could do with a little bit more. 
He’s quite capable of fashioning a chance from a corner, which impressed me yesterday, slick movement. 

I’m not writing American Chris off yet, if he was playing with a couple nifty offensive players he’d look alright I reckon. 

DTID 

Very much agree on his penalty-box movement, he's an older school type who is decent when the ball is put in the box repeatedly from cross or set-pieces. I'd fancy him to nick goals in those situations. The problem lies in how we set-up and play, with very little crossing to him, and an expectation for him to press and run the channels, that is not his strong suit at all.

17 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

He is not getting played to his strengths. Glass is making this hard for him. 

Exactly this - I've been saying this for ages too. Start of the season he's got JET playing alongside him, and sticking fairly close to him - they're combining well and he looks a real threat. Then we suddenly go to this 433 thing and he's isolated up front on his own with some useless headless chicken like Samuels standing on the touchline on one side, and Ojo or someone allegedly supporting on the other. Any time JET gets on the park he seems to be playing more like another central midfielder. 

Ramirez doesn't have the physicality, pace, ability to beat a man etc to play the role he's being asked to play. Give him a strike partner he can link up with and he will do a decent job and score more goals. The guy must be frustrated running about like a headless chicken every week with no support any time the ball comes near him.

27 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Exactly this - I've been saying this for ages too. Start of the season he's got JET playing alongside him, and sticking fairly close to him - they're combining well and he looks a real threat. Then we suddenly go to this 433 thing and he's isolated up front on his own with some useless headless chicken like Samuels standing on the touchline on one side, and Ojo or someone allegedly supporting on the other. Any time JET gets on the park he seems to be playing more like another central midfielder. 

Ramirez doesn't have the physicality, pace, ability to beat a man etc to play the role he's being asked to play. Give him a strike partner he can link up with and he will do a decent job and score more goals. The guy must be frustrated running about like a headless chicken every week with no support any time the ball comes near him.

I think having Watkins and Hedges back, hopefully by the Dundee game, will help Ramirez hugely. 

I think the last two league games, we’ve been more 4-2-3-1 than 4-3-3, so the two returnees above should fit into that system 

56 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Time to go either 3-5-2 or 3-4-1-2 in my opinion.

It gets another central defender on the park to help clear crosses.

It gets support for Ramirez. 

Lewis

Bates  Gallagher McCrorie

Ramsay Ferguson Brown Hayes

Hedges 

Ramirez Watkins 

16 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Time to go either 3-5-2 or 3-4-1-2 in my opinion.

It gets another central defender on the park to help clear crosses.

It gets support for Ramirez. 

Lewis

Bates  Gallagher McCrorie

Ramsay Ferguson Brown Hayes

Hedges 

Ramirez Watkins 

Big problem there is the lack of legs on the left and McCrorie not being a typical LCB - I'd be looking to get in behind down there constantly as an opposition. All for trying things but despite the activity we had in the transfer market, we have some glaring holes in the squad and a real lack of intensity/pace.