Jack Mackenzie

2 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

He has been decent, but he’s still limited when attacking.

His first instinct is usually to cut back or pass back. 

At this level he's more than good enough imo.

A real NE man also 

Terrific.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

He has been decent, but he’s still limited when attacking.

His first instinct is usually to cut back or pass back. 

Aye he’s got a bit to go to prove he can stay in the team if we’ve got any aspirations of consistently being top 3 and challenging for trophies. Hope he does though, Aberdeen needs local guys in the side 

44 minutes ago, bonzodaddy73 said:

He's pretty good in 1v1 situations. Seen a few times this season that the opposition have made changes on the right because they've been getting nothing against Mackenzie.

Defensively he’s fine on 1v1’s,

My issue is when we’re attacking, he’s not great. 
It wouldn’t be such an issue if we had width further up the pitch. 

16 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Defensively he’s fine on 1v1’s,

My issue is when we’re attacking, he’s not great. 
It wouldn’t be such an issue if we had width further up the pitch. 

Funny how folk see things differently. I'd say going forward/attacking was one of his main strengths.

• Upvote 2

His first thought when going forward was always to stop and either pass backwards or inside. He now seems to be understanding that he's more of a danger if he uses his natural pace, beat the defender and head to the bye-line to get a cross in.

He's by no means anywhere near the finished article yet...even at approaching 24... but for sure MacKenzie > McGarry

• Upvote 1

He's done better lately but he's not good enough in my eyes. 

Majority of the loons coming through are poor.  The list of them not making it is endless.  That's why we need to look at the pathway and clear out the coaches as they can't be cutting the mustard.  Our success rate in players coming through is pathetic.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, jamiesd said:

He's done better lately but he's not good enough in my eyes. 

Majority of the loons coming through are poor.  The list of them not making it is endless.  That's why we need to look at the pathway and clear out the coaches as they can't be cutting the mustard.  Our success rate in players coming through is pathetic.

Pathetic seems harsh. Who else has brought in £10m + on academy players the last 5 years?

ryan fraser playing loads down there too. 

lovely to have more but we are probably best in the country 

He's fuckin rotten, seriously bad. Just watch him, he is constantly out of position, he walks around in a total daze, oblivious to the actual flow of the game. Playing out on the left he should be watching right along the line, he doesn't, always seen yards behind. Also, I'm not sure if he is partially sighted in his left eye as he often fails to see what's going on outside him if he tucks in. 

His strength appears to be the last ditch tackle, he's strong in that but good players tend to avoid getting into those situations in the first place. 

He's probably okay to have as cover but no danger he should be starting each week. As somebody else said, if he was to leave it would be to a Dundee United or a St Johnstone type level, we need better. 

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, perthshirered said:

He's fuckin rotten, seriously bad. Just watch him, he is constantly out of position, he walks around in a total daze, oblivious to the actual flow of the game. Playing out on the left he should be watching right along the line, he doesn't, always seen yards behind. Also, I'm not sure if he is partially sighted in his left eye as he often fails to see what's going on outside him if he tucks in. 

His strength appears to be the last ditch tackle, he's strong in that but good players tend to avoid getting into those situations in the first place. 

He's probably okay to have as cover but no danger he should be starting each week. As somebody else said, if he was to leave it would be to a Dundee United or a St Johnstone type level, we need better. 

As a full back he is more than adequate, in a back 3 he struggles. Last night was down to Warnock's selection and idiotic line up.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, perthshirered said:

Both fullbacks look miles off it at the moment. I don’t know if that’s due to shape of team or whether they are just shite.

Does my nut in. Don't mind a ball over the top if there's a man on the run in behind, but he punts it so high in to the air that it just takes any sting out the attack and it's an easy clearance for the opposition. Even when he's bombing down the wing with the ball I presume that's the attack over, there's just nothing about him. 

Defensively he's okay at best. 

Would be looking to move him on in Summer, would be a cracking championship player. 

3 minutes ago, C'monEweReds said:

Does my nut in. Don't mind a ball over the top if there's a man on the run in behind, but he punts it so high in to the air that it just takes any sting out the attack and it's an easy clearance for the opposition. Even when he's bombing down the wing with the ball I presume that's the attack over, there's just nothing about him. 

Would be looking to move him on in Summer, would be a cracking championship player. 

He 100% needs to be punted in the summer.

1 minute ago, C'monEweReds said:

Haha, spotted that a couple of times last night. Trying the long ball up the line and the trajectory is outrageous, like he's got a gimpy left foot or something. 

On 2/15/2024 at 8:37 AM, perthshirered said:

Haha, spotted that a couple of times last night. Trying the long ball up the line and the trajectory is outrageous, like he's got a gimpy left foot or something. 

His left foot was in perfect working order down at iprix earlier this season. 

If you play Jack MacKenzie in a flat back 4, he is perfectly fine.

He's not afraid to stick the boot in as and when required, getting better with his positional awareness, has a great work ethic. and can provide a lovely pass or cross into the box. 

• Thanks 1

He's definitely improved in the couple seasons he's been in the first team.

Should never be considered the answer long term, but at the moment he should be our first choice LB and I've no issue with him remaining as a squad player should we sign someone of the required ability to be our starting LB in summer.

Get McGarry and Hayes in the bin 

• Upvote 1