1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Have to agree there. They were better than us but we have seen plenty better teams at Pittodrie in the last 8 years.

We'd all expect Aberdeen to hold their own against Rangers/Celtic at home and I think either of those sides would comfortably beat Qarabag home and away

Celtic struggled against Quarabag under Rodgers - scraped through 1-0 on aggregate. Celtic were miles better then than they are now. Quarabag were better then than they are now. They certainly wouldnt comfortably beat them home and away. 

Just now, dazzy_deff said:

Didnt see Campbell's contribution last night. I'd left before he came on. But at least him and Mcgeough can pick a pass. Technically two of the more gifted players yet we (and the rest of Scotland) favour athleticism and brute strength. Maybe saying something that all these teams that beat us year in year out prefer a technical approach to games. Is it really such a cooincidence that other than Rangers and Celtic, scottish clubs are consistently pumped out from teams in so called lesser leagues. 

Absolutely, as I say all these teams we end up going out to are far better technically. It’s an issue with Scottish football in general rather than specific to AFC. Like I said I would have actually preferred us to go route one last night and at least test their defence, get in their faces and use some physicality.

Breidablik are from fucking Iceland and could pass a ball better than we could.

Just now, Big Hat Logan said:

Absolutely, as I say all these teams we end up going out to are far better technically. It’s an issue with Scottish football in general rather than specific to AFC. Like I said I would have actually preferred us to go route one last night and at least test their defence, get in their faces and use some physicality.

Breidablik are from fucking Iceland and could pass a ball better than we could.

exactly. Back to my point though - our two best passers of the ball dont play. 

28 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

We see it every single season, nearly every team we get at this stage is miles ahead of us technically regardless of where they are from. When they had the ball last night it was quick passing and moving with some lovely long diagonals. When we had it we were laboured and passed it backwards and sideways with no urgency. Like I said we would have been as well going route one instead of trying to play football against them.

I find even in the earlier rounds, the teams are technically better than us. Eventually we just power through them with our route 1 football. It was the same in the Euros for Scotland, we are so far behind as a nation.

9 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

What bollocks, we will be soundly pumped by either of the old firm with the squad the way it is at the moment. We are a long way off holding our own against a decent side. We couldn’t beat Raith Rovers ffs.

Aye I fully expect us to lose to them as well.

I just wouldn't expect us to get beat so easily by Rangers at home and come onto this message board to read "oh they are just a better team than us". Ah cunt would be raging

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

We have three spaces in midfield and we need a mix of players that can do the attacking and defensive work both technically and physically. 

We have loads of midfield players but  not the right mix. 

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We have three spaces in midfield and we need a mix of players that can do the attacking and defensive work both technically and physically. 

Agree. Was the same with Mcinnes, too many holders. 

7 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

Brown was signed for nights like last night but we would actually have been better if McGeouch or Campbell played instead. He was never going to sub Brown though, which is an issue.

5 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I find even in the earlier rounds, the teams are technically better than us. Eventually we just power through them with our route 1 football. It was the same in the Euros for Scotland, we are so far behind as a nation.

Aye I fully expect us to lose to them as well.

I just wouldn't expect us to get beat so easily by Rangers at home and come onto this message board to read "oh they are just a better team than us". Ah cunt would be raging

Yup, Scotland as a nation needs an overhaul when it comes to grass roots football.

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Which goes back to my point about Brown. Glass basically can’t drop him because of who he is. Last night Brown was stinking yet still managed the 90. It puts Glass in a real situation here. 

2 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Which goes back to my point about Brown. Glass basically can’t drop him because of who he is. Last night Brown was stinking yet still managed the 90. It puts Glass in a real situation here. 

This won't go down well but I don't think Glass has a fucking clue what he's doing with that midfield.  

Hopefully new recruits will help. 

2 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Brown was signed for nights like last night but we would actually have been better if McGeouch or Campbell played instead. He was never going to sub Brown though, which is an issue.

Yup, Scotland as a nation needs an overhaul when it comes to grass roots football.

Absolutely spot on.

We can agree on some things then. There's hope for you yet

3 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Part in bold 100%. Things still going on with youth football that went on when I was a kid and involved with the Dons. 

One of my best mates loon is a standout player, 10 years old - puts in so much effort with his practice and glides across the pitch. Technically gifted with a great workrate. Aberdeen are aware of him and have basically said its a shame hes a December birthday and not a January, as if he played the year below he'd bully everybody and would be picked up easily. So because his "growth spurt" is after other kids in his age group its costing him getting a chance. We've never learnt as a club or a nation. 

4 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

I wonder how much Qarabags wage bill is. They've got fuck all fans, and presumably Azerbaijani TV rights aren't much? So are they being funded by oil? 

They’re owned by some food company aren’t they? Plenty cash I’d guess. 

It’s irrelevant. We were shite. Not signed the right players and set out wrong IMO. 

5 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

One of my best mates loon is a standout player, 10 years old - puts in so much effort with his practice and glides across the pitch. Technically gifted with a great workrate. Aberdeen are aware of him and have basically said its a shame hes a December birthday and not a January, as if he played the year below he'd bully everybody and would be picked up easily. So because his "growth spurt" is after other kids in his age group its costing him getting a chance. We've never learnt as a club or a nation. 

That is terrible to hear

Exact reason Scotland do well in the early group levels and are shite at the top level. Cause we pick the bruisers, then the actual footballers disappear.

7 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

Part in bold 100%. Things still going on with youth football that went on when I was a kid and involved with the Dons. 

I seriously hope this is AFC telling him a white lie to let him down gently. 

If it's actual policy then we need to burn Pittodrie and Kingsford to the ground. 

Just now, Ernie McCracken said:

If it's actual policy then we need to burn Pittodrie and Kingsford to the ground. 

I'd say its true - I watch him quite a lot and he stands out technically - most players cant get near him. Lacks a bit of bite but that will come with confidence, and is already improving. Telling that if he was born 7 days later (he was born Xmas day) then he'd have been picked up. Seen lads from his team now in the Academy who arent as good as him. 

8 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Aberdeen have boys born between January and December at all ages. 

5 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

I'd say its true - I watch him quite a lot and he stands out technically - most players cant get near him. Lacks a bit of bite but that will come with confidence, and is already improving. Telling that if he was born 7 days later (he was born Xmas day) then he'd have been picked up. Seen lads from his team now in the Academy who arent as good as him. 

But even the logic is flawed. What benefit is he going to get from a developmental point of view if he's big enough to bully all the other players? In that situation he wouldn't need to rely on or develop his footballing skill as much. 

2 hours ago, dazzy_deff said:

Whilst I agree with what you say, Aberdeen still select player as they move up the age groups and move from 7's to  9's and then 11's.

Hope he sticks in, enjoys his football and becomes the bast he can be.

Its true though with the Dons, they still favour physicality, which means they are successful in the youth groups, but don't really develop as much they could.

Look at Qarabag last night. The had two physically big players. the no 81 in defence and the no 77 up front. The rest were averagely sized but much, much better technically 

18 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Whilst I agree with what you say, Aberdeen still select player as they move up the age groups and move from 7's to  9's and then 11's.

Hope he sticks in, enjoys his football and becomes the bast he can be.

Its true though with the Dons, they still favour physicality, which means they are successful in the youth groups, but don't really develop as much they could.

Look at Qarabag last night. The had two physically big players. the no 81 in defence and the no 77 up front. The rest were averagely sized but much, much better technically 

Others in his old team, nowhere near as good technically, already been picked up. One athletic type who is a beast, but was never actually very good on the ball. We never learn and will continually go for the big lad who can cover the pitch. 

3 minutes ago, Betty Swallicks said:

Qarabag would win our league going on last nights evidence imo. 

Absolutely, they totally controlled the game and were very impressive to watch.

what annoyed me is that they preferred to let their no 81 in defence splay the ball about, we needed to close that out and didn't seem to pick up on it.