Stephen Glass: What should we do?

Stephen Glass: What do we do?   

292 members have voted

1. 1. Stephen Glass: What do we do?

• Sack him immediately
    • If we lose to Dundee
    • Review at end of October
    • Give him the full season

I've always advocated giving him till the end of the season at least due to the massive upheaval at the club.

During McInnes tenure we lost the likes of McLean, Jack, Rooney, and McKenna whilst also having likes of Hayes and McGinn getting older/slower. The replacements for them weren't great bar Ferguson to be honest. Signing numerous injury prone players like Hoban for example caused us to become pure grinders for the last couple of years and that had to change.

Glass has come in as a rookie, his assistant even with his England connections has his own personal issues and is quite raw at this level and Brown is in his first coaching gig. It was a huge risk especially with it not being a settled squad he was taking over. I'm also keen to find out who drove home some of the transfers - if Glass wants a pressing, attacking, slick passing style of play, why would you take a maverick player like JET? Ramirez also is a guy who needs crosses into the box or plenty of time with balls in behind (and is good at meeting them and scoring if clean through albeit has a lack of pace) - again this doesn't fit the mantra. We seem to have thrown a number of darts at the board be it Glass, Gunn or Cormack (or as a collective) and missed the board with quite a few.

Now this is a critical juncture for the entire club, we are in a real mess not seen since the days of McGhee and need to resolve it quickly. I'd like us to look at taking in an experienced assistant or coach that can help our young management team out, especially one who will have seen bad runs of form in the past. I'm not for just binning Glass, fact is we finish 10th or 4th it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things (it's not like we do anything with European qualification anyway). What does matter is how we are playing come the latter part of the season, if the football is somehow worse, big decisions will have to be made.

It's gutting as the OF are wobbly this season, Rangers aren't as good, and the likes of Hearts, Hibs and Dundee Utd will take points off them - in previous years we'd have been in and around picking up the pieces and getting close - sadly this time we aren't.

On a side note, I can't see Cormack or the Atlanta overlords sacking Glass and taking in an "old heed" - they look to take in young inexperienced coaches, Glass was replaced with Jack Collison (Doesn't seem like that long ago he burst through for West Ham but injuries scuppered him) who's previous experience was basically Hammers under 16's and Atlanta Under 17's. Even the Main Team coach Pineda's only managerial experience was as assistant at Seattle. They go for young, unproven managers - probably cheaper but probably hoping if they come good it becomes attractive to any young talented manager.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Roberto said:

Indeed.

Scott Brown one of the only decent guys behind the scenes, Ramirez the happiest guy ever and Glass a complete arsehole. 

Throughout life, it's become apparent to me that the most outwardly happy people are normally on very good terms with JC.  Sometimes makes me wish that I could see the light!

Amen!

50 minutes ago, Crossbow said:

I do - obviously you're seeing something different if you want him to stay - I see a team of midfielders making zero progress - losing the ball and gifting chances to the opposition who then score. We lose - rinse and repeat. Are Aberdeen winning in your world? Do they have a hand picked squad of winners better than before - each new signing addressing an area of possible need?

We've had one window since the new management team took over. We anticipated more going out than we did.

It's not enough to build the ideal balanced team.

I can accept and see we've not achieved the results we anticipated and our play warranted, but the potential is there and maybe it needs another window or two to get the balanced, attacking team that consistently gets results 

1 hour ago, afc1903mad said:

We've had one window since the new management team took over. We anticipated more going out than we did.

It's not enough to build the ideal balanced team.

I can accept and see we've not achieved the results we anticipated and our play warranted, but the potential is there and maybe it needs another window or two to get the balanced, attacking team that consistently gets results 

Based on his signings in the summer window. Would you honestly trust him with another?

That’s the difficulty I have with Glass.  Not sure I trust him if we get into a fist fight at one end of the league (notwithstanding his own personal contribution the last time we did to be fair) and equally uncertain if he has the nous to take us forward if he does recover the lost ground over the next few windows.

At the very very least we have to consolidate and sort that bloody defence out for a start.  Make us hard(er) to beat and at least settle mid table till we sort the other bits out.

15 minutes ago, RAZOR said:

Based on his signings in the summer window. Would you honestly trust him with another?

Were they purely his signings? Were any Cormack's ego or buddies (Jet and Ramirez being likely for those arguments)? What input did Gunn have as DOF? It's rare these days that JUST the manager makes the decisions on transfers.

This is my main concern, our squad had huge upheaval but is even more of a mish-mash with no real settled first 11, still some of the old guard from McInnes tenure and some young lads thrown to the lions along with 1 or 2 bizarre/maverick signings. If that was ALL Glass (especially as a rookie manager) i'd be extremely surprised, but i can't see Cormack ever owning up to a mistake so i'm sure Glass as manager will be the fall guy.

21 minutes ago, DoonTheLine said:

Were they purely his signings? Were any Cormack's ego or buddies (Jet and Ramirez being likely for those arguments)

Oh I don't doubt that at all. Cormack is a much bigger issue. He's pulled the wool over all our eyes and wanked us clean aff.

1 hour ago, afc1903mad said:

I can accept and see we've not achieved the results we anticipated and our play warranted, but the potential is there and maybe it needs another window or two to get the balanced, attacking team that consistently gets results 

Our play warranted? We are where we deserve to be lad. The league table doesn’t lie. If you don’t take chances you don’t score and if you defend as ridiculously bad as we have you will concede goals. 

Just now, RAZOR said:

Oh I don't doubt that at all. Cormack is a much bigger issue. He's pulled the wool over all our eyes and wanked us clean aff.

I've never trusted Cormack from the start personally, got a ton of stick from mates for it - then he named a training ground after himself in the largest show of ego i've seen for some time. Then we had the "interview process" after McInnes job, which was just complete lies - if he can lie so blatantly on camera and do it so well, then for me, what else is he lying about constantly? Don't trust the fella, can see why some want him and want to like him after Milne, but just because you do the odd interview and are "open and transparent" doesn't mean you are honest and good at your job!

It's all extremely messy especially with our Atlanta overlords all over our board...are they working to our best interests or Atlanta's? (In turn their own?).....I've seen very little benefit as yet to this link-up apart from to them being able to shuffle money through the books for Hernandez (flop), being able to ship Gallagher and Gurr to us for experience (absolute flops) and then shipping Glass over to us as manager (Appears the biggest flop of all). I guess Ramirez is a plus that comes from the MLS link but that is about it!

1 hour ago, DoonTheLine said:

I've always advocated giving him till the end of the season at least due to the massive upheaval at the club.

During McInnes tenure we lost the likes of McLean, Jack, Rooney, and McKenna whilst also having likes of Hayes and McGinn getting older/slower. The replacements for them weren't great bar Ferguson to be honest. Signing numerous injury prone players like Hoban for example caused us to become pure grinders for the last couple of years and that had to change.

Glass has come in as a rookie, his assistant even with his England connections has his own personal issues and is quite raw at this level and Brown is in his first coaching gig. It was a huge risk especially with it not being a settled squad he was taking over. I'm also keen to find out who drove home some of the transfers - if Glass wants a pressing, attacking, slick passing style of play, why would you take a maverick player like JET? Ramirez also is a guy who needs crosses into the box or plenty of time with balls in behind (and is good at meeting them and scoring if clean through albeit has a lack of pace) - again this doesn't fit the mantra. We seem to have thrown a number of darts at the board be it Glass, Gunn or Cormack (or as a collective) and missed the board with quite a few.

Now this is a critical juncture for the entire club, we are in a real mess not seen since the days of McGhee and need to resolve it quickly. I'd like us to look at taking in an experienced assistant or coach that can help our young management team out, especially one who will have seen bad runs of form in the past. I'm not for just binning Glass, fact is we finish 10th or 4th it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things (it's not like we do anything with European qualification anyway). What does matter is how we are playing come the latter part of the season, if the football is somehow worse, big decisions will have to be made.

It's gutting as the OF are wobbly this season, Rangers aren't as good, and the likes of Hearts, Hibs and Dundee Utd will take points off them - in previous years we'd have been in and around picking up the pieces and getting close - sadly this time we aren't.

On a side note, I can't see Cormack or the Atlanta overlords sacking Glass and taking in an "old heed" - they look to take in young inexperienced coaches, Glass was replaced with Jack Collison (Doesn't seem like that long ago he burst through for West Ham but injuries scuppered him) who's previous experience was basically Hammers under 16's and Atlanta Under 17's. Even the Main Team coach Pineda's only managerial experience was as assistant at Seattle. They go for young, unproven managers - probably cheaper but probably hoping if they come good it becomes attractive to any young talented manager.

Well thought out and balanced post.

Its not only Glass that’s the problem, he’s only part of the problem.

The appointments of him, Gunn, Russell and Appolloo are the problem. Replace Glass, however massive a fuck up that was,  and you’ve only removed part of the cancer, the illness will remain.

As someone remarked the other day, someone like Brian Rice should come in and assist the manager, whoever that is. Someone whose been round the block.

The appointment of Steven Gunn is just mental, having the head of youth, the 1st team manager and the head of recruitment all reporting to him?

It’s a City Council style setup of epic ineptitude, all jobs for the fucking boys and girls 

5 minutes ago, RAZOR said:

Yes

Brown - Good positive Signing

Gallagher - Scottish Internationalist whom many thought would be an improvement, sadly not however signing him was seen as a good progression. got to also commend the fact that Glass is not playing him when he has turned out to be poor.

Gurr - Brought in on only a years deal to cover for the development of Ramsay despite the spin put forward that he was more than that. If he was, he would have been given more than a years deal

Jenks - Only on loan and anticipated to be cover for the departing Ferguson. Not worked out as yet.

Longstaff - I think we only went for him because we accepted the Huddersfield offer for Ferguson and the Jenks loan was not fulfilling the needs. again, only a loan player as coverage.

Bates - Jury's out. At times I think there is potential for a good partnership to be developed with McCrorie, but he has made some basic mistakes the last couple of games. He really should be able to get a head on the ball ahead of Kyogo chesting into our net. He needs to be better in those scenarios

JET - said before he signed it would be a poor lazy signing. Could be good against the bottom half of the league, but not enough workrate for the top half games. Luxury signing

Ramirez - Flatters to frustrate. 6 goals in 15 games is probably decent for an Aberdeen striker, possibly more commendable given we are lacking open play chances.  Certainly better than other recent strikers (Hornby, Kamberi etc)

Samuels - RAW, potential, signed on loan with a view to being permanent. Will not be kept on if he's not good enough

Watkins - Not seen enough of him in his second stint. Were all hoping he links the play and creativity he did at the start of last season. Hoping he doesn't end up in the treatment room more than the pitch

These signings in general are seen as a better level than we have done over the years  

13 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Well thought out and balanced post.

Its not only Glass that’s the problem, he’s only part of the problem.

The appointments of him, Gunn, Russell and Appolloo are the problem. Replace Glass, however massive a fuck up that was,  and you’ve only removed part of the cancer, the illness will remain.

As someone remarked the other day, someone like Brian Rice should come in and assist the manager, whoever that is. Someone whose been round the block.

The appointment of Steven Gunn is just mental, having the head of youth, the 1st team manager and the head of recruitment all reporting to him?

It’s a City Council style setup of epic ineptitude, all jobs for the fucking boys and girls 

Yep, it's an old school thought process to just blame the manager (don't get me wrong he deserves a chunk of the blame!), there are more issues at the club and things going on we don't know about.

For all my dislike of Cormack, I do applaud us trying to put some structure to the club from top to bottom, with pathways/development etc however, how that is run and who is controlling those parts of the club seem very inexperienced or like you say "jobs for the boys".

I'm a bit reluctant to hammer Gunn since he's been at the club 20 years, clearly worked to understand the full footballing operation and is probably as much a fan as we are, but again despite that time at the club he does appear "inexperienced" in terms of being responsible for the areas you mention. It just seems that from top to bottom our club is full of inexperience, and we may have plenty of endeavour but a lack of ability, especially in a crisis when you need to call upon your experiences and having a level head.

2 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Yes

Brown - Good positive Signing

Gallagher - Scottish Internationalist whom many thought would be an improvement, sadly not however signing him was seen as a good progression. got to also commend the fact that Glass is not playing him when he has turned out to be poor.

Gurr - Brought in on only a years deal to cover for the development of Ramsay despite the spin put forward that he was more than that. If he was, he would have been given more than a years deal

Jenks - Only on loan and anticipated to be cover for the departing Ferguson. Not worked out as yet.

Longstaff - I think we only went for him because we accepted the Huddersfield offer for Ferguson and the Jenks loan was not fulfilling the needs. again, only a loan player as coverage.

Bates - Jury's out. At times I think there is potential for a good partnership to be developed with McCrorie, but he has made some basic mistakes the last couple of games. He really should be able to get a head on the ball ahead of Kyogo chesting into our net. He needs to be better in those scenarios

JET - said before he signed it would be a poor lazy signing. Could be good against the bottom half of the league, but not enough workrate for the top half games. Luxury signing

Ramirez - Flatters to frustrate. 6 goals in 15 games is probably decent for an Aberdeen striker, possibly more commendable given we are lacking open play chances.  Certainly better than other recent strikers (Hornby, Kamberi etc)

Samuels - RAW, potential, signed on loan with a view to being permanent. Will not be kept on if he's not good enough

Watkins - Not seen enough of him in his second stint. Were all hoping he links the play and creativity he did at the start of last season. Hoping he doesn't end up in the treatment room more than the pitch

These signings in general are seen as a better level than we have done over the years  

So one good signing then. 

Totally justifies your confidence in letting him have another window. 

Other than Brown I'm really struggling to agree with any of the rest of your post min. They all look and have performed terribly.

Good on paper doesn't make a good signing.

Obviously a lot of negativity right now due to a horrendous run of form.

You're obviously staying positive and fair play but I'm just not getting it.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Signings can sometimes only be as good as the manager/system allows them to be....plus were all the signings driven by Glass - I'd assume Gurr and Ramirez were forced upon him by the board with where they came from...

I'd say most teams in the league would take Bates, Gallagher, Longstaff, Brown and Ramirez - That's essentially a spine for anyone to work around.

The fact Glass can't really get a tune out of any of them, and can't get a system in place to get the best out of them is deeply concerning - I don't include Brown in the "tune" as I think he'd just give you what he does anywhere he goes personally, especially at this late stage of his career.

Currently 9th place in the league and 9 games on the bounce without a win and now 4 straight defeats in the league, Dundee could very easily notch up their first league win of the season against us in a couple of weeks time (Griffiths with the winner) then we have a run of Hibs, Huns and diet huns, and after that games we could very easily find ourselves 11th or 12th in the league.

Glass has to go before it is too fcukin late, he is well and truly out of his depth. There is a part of me kind of feels sorry for him as this whole situation is not his fault, it is 100% the fault of Dave fcukin Cormack who should never have appointed Glass in the first place, out of the "hundreds" of supposed top quality "applicants and CV's" the club had for the position, why the fk give the job to Glass? 

The sparkling teeth slippery fish twat should do the right thing and send Glass back to coach his beloved Atlanta reserves or Atlanta youth team, as that is about the right level for Glass.

We need to act now before it is too fkn late, and no I not a pant pisher I am just being realistic.

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Hindsights a wonderful thing.

Maybe you'd prefer we go back to signing the Jeffrey Monaka's, Stephen Gleesons, Chris Forresters, Greg Halfords, Greg Tansays, Nicky Maynards, Alan Tate etc etc etc

• Upvote 1
Guest findlay_1903

Why can’t he address the lack of width. I’m just the fan in the stand (sometimes) I can see we are lacking natural width. We’ve overloaded with central midfielders and forgot the wing play.

A wise man once said: 

you can’t get a horse to play a tune on a piano. 

10 minutes ago, findlay_1903 said:

Why can’t he address the lack of width. I’m just the fan in the stand (sometimes) I can see we are lacking natural width. We’ve overloaded with central midfielders and forgot the wing play.

A wise man once said: 

Exactly this, the only width we have is Hayes who is shot, Ramsay who is still very raw and Hedges who really likes to come inside more and work the ball through - Only Ramsay really plays to the strength of our striker Ramirez who isn't a quick interchange passer in and around the box, but someone who will show decent movement and heading ability when crosses are put in his areas. It all means our team is grinding in midfield but can't really get anywhere even if we get the ball as the players wide and up top don't match the style. No surprise to me that we actually have good possession stats but are atrocious in the final third.

Edit - Forgot about McLennan, McGinn and Samuels (says it all really) - McLennan has never shown he's good enough, could see him at Cove in 2-3 years if he doesn't wake up. McGinn is in the Hayes category where his mind is probably sharp but the legs are not. Samuels could be anything really, definitely has pace which could be an asset in the right counter-attacking system but his play was very basic (knock it past, use pace, shoot or cross essentially) - no tricks, no subtlety but the pace alone could cause problems in Scotland.

3 minutes ago, findlay_1903 said:

A wise man once said: 

Its a good point and one I commented on at the game.

Samuels and Hayes were knackered, yet we had no real options from the bench.

McLennan came on but he looked far from match fit

McGinn doesn't have the legs to be the wide man anymore

Kennedy is injured

Hedges was ill

For games like yesterday, being able to counter quickly is a huge asset

26 minutes ago, blowupsheep said:

Currently 9th place in the league and 9 games on the bounce without a win and now 4 straight defeats in the league, Dundee could very easily notch up their first league win of the season against us in a couple of weeks time (Griffiths with the winner) then we have a run of Hibs, Huns and diet huns, and after that games we could very easily find ourselves 11th or 12th in the league.

Glass has to go before it is too fcukin late, he is well and truly out of his depth. There is a part of me kind of feels sorry for him as this whole situation is not his fault, it is 100% the fault of Dave fcukin Cormack who should never have appointed Glass in the first place, out of the "hundreds" of supposed top quality "applicants and CV's" the club had for the position, why the fk give the job to Glass? 

The sparkling teeth slippery fish twat should do the right thing and send Glass back to coach his beloved Atlanta reserves or Atlanta youth team, as that is about the right level for Glass.

We need to act now before it is too fkn late, and no I not a pant pisher I am just being realistic.

Fair comments.

I also feel slight sympathy for Glass too, although nobody held a Gunn to his head, he could simply have declined the kind offer.

Read his soundbites after yesterday; he’s not enjoying this. We may well beat Dundee in a fortnight but the cracks will only be papered over. He’ll be gone soon enough; him, Russell and Apolloo, mutual consent or some shit. Will all get re-employed at Atlanta. 

Who comes in? No idea. Experience is key. Folk speak about Yogi but very patchy cv. Wants football played the right way but the right way to play football is to WIN. Did well at ICT and County but not at Hibs or in England 

• Upvote 1

It doesn't matter a toss now how good or bad the signings have been that's done  The important thing is Glass has no clue tactically or man management, ( look at he teams he put out against Livingston and Raith Rovers immature arrogance) if you gave him the Man City squad he'd fuck it up, completely out of his depth. Speaking to Hearts and Hibs supporters in Edinburgh last week they are chuffed he's in charge, says it all.