January 2022 transfer window

24 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Who says that our offer might not turn out to be the best he gets? We certainly know it topped the St Mirren offer and they are on record as saying what they have would/will have made him their highest paid player ever.

He may well end up regretting fucking us about. 

I was never massively in favour of signing him and I hope that if his agent does a U-turn and suddenly says he is willing to join up that we tell him our offer has changed and is now for £500/wk less

Which is why Glass shouldn’t have said what he did about players wanting to play for Aberdeen.  As somebody said it’s biting your nose off to spite your face, especially when it appears that there isn’t a plan b.   I just don’t think we should publicly shut the door on players as your scenario above could potentially happen and we could still have got him for less than we offered originally.  

12 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

Do we know he turned us down though? Could it have been the agent? It wouldn't be unusual for them to act like cunts. 

The agent wouldn't dare do that without running it past the player first (or at least the player having stipulated a minimum set amount the contract has to be worth and allowing the agent to reject any offers that dont at least match this amount)

8 minutes ago, Kiriakov33 said:

Which is why Glass shouldn’t have said what he did about players wanting to play for Aberdeen.  As somebody said it’s biting your nose off to spite your face, especially when it appears that there isn’t a plan b.   I just don’t think we should publicly shut the door on players as your scenario above could potentially happen and we could still have got him for less than we offered originally.  

I'd rather wait a bit and get my Plan A player who takes his time to make a decision than move on to Plan B who signs up straight away and turns out to be not as good. If Glass was adamant McGrath was his top target and offers him a pre-contract he should know that if he's our top target then other teams will likely be looking at him aswell and he won't make a decision right away. It's his right. It's really naive to offer a player a contract for next season and expect him to make his mind up right away. 

2 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

I'd rather wait a bit and get my Plan A player who takes his time to make a decision than move on to Plan B who signs up straight away and turns out to be not as good. If Glass was adamant McGrath was his top target and offers him a pre-contract he should know that if he's our top target then other teams will likely be looking at him aswell and he won't make a decision right away. It's his right. It's really naive to offer a player a contract for next season and expect him to make his mind up right away. 

Very true on a pre contract the player has every right to weigh up his options , different scenario if it's a straight up bid .... we want you now 

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

The player either got a better offer or at least the sniff of a better offer and wanted to wait. 

I'm not sure what they player has meant to have done wrong here.  He hadn't signed anything I assume. 

Exactly. It happens all the time in football.

He may well have been interested enough to sign for us as he entered into talks but he obviously thinks he can get a better deal elsewhere for more money.

It's no big deal and it's the clubs perogative to move on and look at other options. 

Don't know why it's still being discussed and folk are getting their knickers in a twist.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Mcgraths been out the st mirren team. Have to question the boys mentality. If he came up here and put in a few good performances and Celtic offered 600k would he be handing in a transfer request and greeting if it was turned down?

It happens all the time. Players who's future are in doubt getting left out the team. It's not something new.

I look at the McGrath situation in the same light as Hedges. We've offered Hedges a deal to be amongst the highest earner at the club. He hasn't signed it yet but as far as we know the offer is still on the table. Does that not totally fly in the face of everything Glass has said? I haven't seen anything from the club to say we offered him a deal, he stalled so we withdrew it. At which point Glass has a cheek to comment on McGrath's mentality when a player in his club is doing the self same thing. 

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

The player either got a better offer or at least the sniff of a better offer and wanted to wait. 

I'm not sure what they player has meant to have done wrong here.  He hadn't signed anything I assume. 

I think that's the point. He hasn't done anything wrong and Glass has had a pop at him for doing exactly what he would do in the same situation. 

4 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

He may well have been interested enough to sign for us as he entered into talks but he obviously thinks he can get a better deal elsewhere for more money.

It's no big deal and it's the clubs perogative to move on and look at other options. 

Don't know why it's still being discussed and folk are getting their knickers in a twist.

Agreed. If McGrath is confident he can get more money by moving down south then good luck to him. It's a short career and he's a full ROI international at a good age. He will likely get a better offer financially from clubs down south. Playing in England is obviously a more attractive proposition for a lot of these players. No problem we just move on to another target.

10 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

Agree.

The only thing I don’t agree with was the almost huff that Glass appeared to take with his thinly veiled dig at McGrath.

“Only certain players can handle playing for Aberdeen”, making out we were Liverpool or Man Utd FFS. 

He’s played numerous games for ROI, including Portugal, against Ronaldo etc.

I hardly think he’d be shitting a brick about running out at Pittodrie in front of 12,000 

8 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Agree.

The only thing I don’t agree with was the almost huff that Glass appeared to take with his thinly veiled dig at McGrath.

“Only certain players can handle playing for Aberdeen”, making out we were Liverpool or Man Utd FFS. 

He’s played numerous games for ROI, including Portugal, against Ronaldo etc.

I hardly think he’d be shitting a brick about running out at Pittodrie in front of 12,000 

He's also played Champions League and Europa League football for Dundalk. I've got no issue with him not coming here if he gets more money down south. It's a short career and you're always 1 bad injury away from having your career ended. But I do have an issue with what Glass said when it's clearly bollocks. 

9 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

He's also played Champions League and Europa League football for Dundalk. I've got no issue with him not coming here if he gets more money down south. It's a short career and you're always 1 bad injury away from having your career ended. But I do have an issue with what Glass said when it's clearly bollocks. 

Yip, agreed.

No need for it. Made him look like a bit of a tit 

5 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I don't think we apply any pressure at all as fans. 

Even when we're shit the boos at the end of games at Pittodrie are at best half hearted. 

It's hardly a hostile atmosphere. 

Are you trying to say the rustling of werthers originals wrappers from folk in the main stand wrapped under their tartan blanket isn't comparable to say Galatasaray fans? ?

1 minute ago, AyrshireSheep said:

Are you trying to say the rustling of werthers originals wrappers from folk in the main stand wrapped under their tartan blanket isn't comparable to say Galatasaray fans? ?

Even in the last days of McInnes when folk started getting fed up the McInnes out banner was put up at the stadium in the dark when no one was there! 

21 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

He's played international football, champions league and Europa league. 

I don't think he would have been unable to handle playing for us. 

If anything it's the club who are being naive if they didn't have a plan b in mind if he didn't sign. 

Those things happen now and then, better players have came here, failed to settle and been on the end of constant criticism which has led to them failing to perform then eventually fucking off.

McGrath is a player I like, I'd have loved to have seen him play for us but for whatever reason he's taking an easy option with more money, the manner in which he and his agent have went about it is my issue, they are cunts. 

Just now, minijc said:

Those things happen now and then, better players have came here, failed to settle and been on the end of constant criticism which has led to them failing to perform then eventually fucking off.

McGrath is a player I like, I'd have loved to have seen him play for us but for whatever reason he's taking an easy option with more money, the manner in which he and his agent have went about it is my issue, they are cunts. 

What's he done wrong then mini? 

I'm sure the conversation went along the lines of 'aye he's interested in coming and your offer sounds good'. But until they've signed and you've got the scarf over the heid photo there's absolutely no guarantees. Especially when it's a pre contract situation. 

We should have got him up the road straight away and closed it out. As soon as they ask you to hang on then surely you've got an idea they are shopping around and you need to have a plan b just in case? 

50 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

It’s been clear since the summer that we’ve been tracking McGrath and so you’d have to expect we’ve been in his agent’s ear ever since, so not just since Jan 1st.

The lad has every right to wait even up till this summer to make his decision on his next destination.

Whole thing does seem a bit weird. Normally any manager (even Glass) keeps speculation about incoming players zipped, so even though he never mentioned McGrath by name, to say what he did once again just sums up his ignorance and naivety

We could have easily left the offer on the table but said to him / his agent that we’re also looking at plan B or C as well, and if we get a deal done for them before you’ve agreed then the offer is no longer there. Put the onus on them to accept rather than us to wait. 

The dig from Glass was pretty unprofessional, like a lot of his actions so far have been. If his agent has screwed us about then just come out and say that. Don’t make out like McGrath would have been shitting his pants playing for us, because he wouldn’t have.

Fits the exact quote from Glass?

None of this sensationalist pish from newspapers that folk gobble up.

I watched the presser he did where these comments are supposed to originate and can't recall anything he said as being controversial. I'll maybe to rewatch it.

I agree with him when says that he only wants people to play for Aberdeen that are committed and up for the fight of doing so.

McGrath has obviously had his head turned by his agent and his old boy (if Goodwins comments are to be believed) and has probably wasted a lot of everyone's time at AFC in negotiations. So there may be a good reason for a bit of animosity. 

But for abdy to be getting bent out of shape over a few words is bewildering. Would everyone be this upset if Fergie had done or said the same thing for Aberdeenor Man Utd? Probably not. It's because it's Glass who has spoken and the majority of those who are pissed off are probably ones who don't want Glass as manager. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
3 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

Fits the exact quote from Glass?

None of this sensationalist pish from newspapers that folk gobble up.

I watched the presser he did where these comments are supposed to originate and can't recall anything he said as being controversial. I'll maybe to rewatch it.

I agree with him when says that he only wants people to play for Aberdeen that are committed and up for the fight of doing so.

McGrath has obviously had his head turned by his agent and his old boy (if Goodwins comments are to be believed) and has probably wasted a lot of everyone's time at AFC in negotiations. So there may be a good reason for a bit of animosity. 

But for abdy to be getting bent out of shape over a few words is bewildering. Would everyone be this upset if Fergie had done or said the same thing for Aberdeenor Man Utd? Probably not. It's because it's Glass who has spoken and the majority of those who are pissed off are probably ones who don't want Glass as manager. 

Regardless if you are fan of the manager of not we all want the best players possible playing for our club. Glass mouthing off about McGrath reduces the chances of him actually weighing up his offers and picking us IMO.

Must be hundreds of players we've offered contracts to that have decided to go elsewhere instead. Quite a lot probably kept their options open by keeping us hanging for a bit as well. 

And we've probably got loads of players that would have taken another club's offer if we hadn't came in.  McCrorie and Ojo spring to mind for a start. 

Nobody here cares that they 'fucked over' Hibs.  It's normal football business. 

• Upvote 2