Aussie Open Tennis

30 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Depends what you base it on...

Grand Slams? Nadal the GOAT then but I know Djokovic will over take that.

Titles? Jimmy Conners it is then... and let's be honest, he isn't.

Federer is exceptional and the original GOAT (that term only really came around during the time he played, its a new thing really).

However IMO Djokovic will walk away from tennis the best ever. That's just my opinion... but it's shared by many, and not shared by others as you've just shown. But when all end their careers, most grand slams/titles will be telling and I reckon Djokovic will top them all.

Borgย 

16 minutes ago, Roberto said:

So what do you base your GOAT on and who is your best ever?

On who's been the best. Who's achieved the most. Who's overcome the most to achieve what they've achieved. Who's the strongest mentally. Who's the classiest in victory and in defeat.ย 

Djokovic doesn't win in any of those categories.ย 

7 hours ago, Parklife said:

On who's been the best. Who's achieved the most. Who's overcome the most to achieve what they've achieved. Who's the strongest mentally. Who's the classiest in victory and in defeat.ย 

Djokovic doesn't win in any of those categories.ย 

Djokovic is easily the strongest mentally. I think technically, Federer is superior but Djokovicโ€™s mental strength, his sheer will to win, is what sets him apart from the rest and the reason why I consider him the GOAT.

It was also the reason he wouldnโ€™t be cowed into taking the vaxx despite potentially losing out on slam victories. Much respect.

Federer is a close second due to his undoubted natural ability. He seemed to hardly ever break sweat, just glided over the court.

Nadal is mainly about physicality, so heโ€™s my least favourite of those 3 greats.

2 hours ago, tutankamun said:

Djokovic is easily the strongest mentally. I think technically, Federer is superior but Djokovicโ€™s mental strength, his sheer will to win, is what sets him apart from the rest and the reason why I consider him the GOAT.

It was also the reason he wouldnโ€™t be cowed into taking the vaxx despite potentially losing out on slam victories. Much respect.

Federer is a close second due to his undoubted natural ability. He seemed to hardly ever break sweat, just glided over the court.

Nadal is mainly about physicality, so heโ€™s my least favourite of those 3 greats.

Bang on ๐Ÿ‘

• Upvote 1

So parkie a new day... who IYO right now is above Djokovic for best ever? Would you say Federer? A complete cunt when he loses especially when he lost to Murray.ย 

There is no judgement from me. You disagree with mine and you're a man who likes your tennis along with myself so it's a genuine interest.

17 minutes ago, Roberto said:

So parkie a new day... who IYO right now is above Djokovic for best ever? Would you say Federer? A complete cunt when he loses especially when he lost to Murray.ย 

There is no judgement from me. You disagree with mine and you're a man who likes your tennis along with myself so it's a genuine interest.

Federer 3rd greatest male player ever IMO. Greatest male player ever is Rafa Nadal. I appreciate people will have different views, I was just being wide yesterday.ย 

The claim that Djokovic is stronger mentally than Rafa though? THAT really is absolutely laughable.ย 

Tut's getting his love of Djokovic for other reasons cloud his view. "Djokovic is easily the strongest mentally"

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Djokovic who loves retiring mid-match when he's losing, rather than suffer defeat. Aye, a real mental giant that Cunt.ย 

Good debate, but some real food for thought is how many Grand Slams Murray would have won, had he played in any other era other than the big 3. Ten GS finals and multiple semi-finals where he lost to one of them... I'd say he's at least on par with Agassi and Becker and better than Edberg, for instance.ย 

32 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Good debate, but some real food for thought is how many Grand Slams Murray would have won, had he played in any other era other than the big 3. Ten GS finals and multiple semi-finals where he lost to one of them... I'd say he's at least on par with Agassi and Becker and better than Edberg, for instance.ย 

I posted how many finals and semis he'd lost to those 3. He's legitimate claims the 4th best male ever.ย 

32 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

I understand why you want to make a conversation of that, but it's like saying, would Man Utd 1999 have won treble against the sides of today.

It's irrelevant, because they weren't from that era and neither was Murray. You just have to appreciate how good an era it was and champion all the players from this era and how good it was. I personally don't believe in my lifetime we will see it again.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

I posted how many finals and semis he'd lost to those 3. He's legitimate claims the 4th best male ever.ย 

Good shout, I'd say without a shadow of doubt he's top 6. Phenomenal player at his peak.ย 

1 hour ago, Roberto said:

I understand why you want to make a conversation of that, but it's like saying, would Man Utd 1999 have won treble against the sides of today.

It's irrelevant, because they weren't from that era and neither was Murray. You just have to appreciate how good an era it was and champion all the players from this era and how good it was. I personally don't believe in my lifetime we will see it again.

That is all true, but to be clear I wasn't looking to start a protracted debate, merely pointing out what could have been, had he not been up against not one, not two, but THREE absolute powerhouses of the game. As a result, his legacy in the years to come may well be significantly less than what he deserves, in relation to just how great a player he is.ย 

On 1/22/2023 at 11:13 PM, Jocky Balboa said:

And remember, 2 of the other 3 were beaten by Murray sometimes in order for Murray to get to a semi or final.

ย 

Also, if you're talking about mental strength, I'd argue Murray blows all of them away.

Guy's insanely got massive nuts to do what he does.

Btw, i used to think McEnroe was the GOAT.

ย 

• Upvote 1
  • 11 months later...