Holiday's 2022

For Fecks Sake

16 minutes ago, elephantstone78 said:

Am pretty sure he will have missed most if not all of those. 

I used to hang out for a few weeks at a time but Berlin's lost a bit since the investors moved in

To keep it fresh, fly into Berlin, stay three days, bus down to Dresden, stay two days, then bus to Prague, stay three days, then fly home.   The bus between each city is two hours max.

On 5/18/2022 at 1:11 PM, milne_afc said:

I had a few reefer joints on a recent trip to Amsterdam. Surprised at not turning into a vomiting wreck considering I’d been on the booze beforehand. I did struggle with basic comprehension, briefly.

Rumours of it now being stopped to tourists bullshit then? Heading over in October and kept hearing that.

Guest milne_afc
18 minutes ago, RAZOR said:

Rumours of it now being stopped to tourists bullshit then? Heading over in October and kept hearing that.

February I was over and never heard anything about that. Canna see it tbh considering well over half their tourism probably revolves around casual drug use.

16 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

Still much the same Razor, 

16 hours ago, RedArmyFakshun said:

They've been saying they "may do it soon" for over a decade

16 hours ago, milne_afc said:

February I was over and never heard anything about that. Canna see it tbh considering well over half their tourism probably revolves around casual drug use.

16 hours ago, Bluto10 said:

aye it’s come up for NL a few times

think the ams locals made a big thing of it during lockdown when there weren’t any stag parties

much better things to do there anyway imo

Cheers folks. Asking for a friend of course.

19 hours ago, RedArmyFakshun said:

I used to hang out for a few weeks at a time but Berlin's lost a bit since the investors moved in

To keep it fresh, fly into Berlin, stay three days, bus down to Dresden, stay two days, then bus to Prague, stay three days, then fly home.   The bus between each city is two hours max.

Yes, its lost a bit of its edge with the gentrification.  Still a great place.

I would recommend the train to Hamburg from Berlin, for a change of scene.

My favourite ever trip with mates was:  Amsterdam --> Hamburg --> Berlin --> Amsterdam.  (all done by train).

Each of the four stops was about 4 days long.  Great days.

19 hours ago, RAZOR said:

Yes absolutely, they have been threatening that for very many years - never comes to owt.  They know it would greatly affect their tourism.

What has changed over the last 20 years is:

- large reductions in the red light area, number of window girls etc.  A shadow of its former self. (I have never / would never indulge in that, but you cant help but notice the change over time).

- the legions of black men selling harder drugs on every corner of the red light area have been completely expunged.

- significantly less tolerance of smoking weed away from coffee shops (at least when it comes to tourists).   Some of my favourite pubs used to tolerate you have a smoke with a beer at outside tables, in the evening - but no more.  Also, they seem to be trying to clean up the city around Damrak / Centraal Station, especially on Warmeoestraat.  Coffeeshops in that area are significantly reduced: Baba has relocated up near Westerpark, close to the water.  Sheba long since shut down. The Grasshopper Coffeeshop is now the Grasshopper pub / restaurant.  (on my last visit, we were so appalled to discover this that the staff set up a table for us upstairs at the back, but outside their actual premises, so we could still enjoy a smoke with our beer. It was literally outside someones front door.)

I guess I understand why they want to clean up the area outside the station  - people were coming off trains to find themselves  "straight into the breach" as it were, regarding vice.  The titty bar, Teasers, which was close to the station has long gone.

The latest threat I heard was that tourists would be stopped buying weed in places outside Amsterdam, but I dont know if it was ever implemented.  I was in Utrecht before covid and it seemed business as usual there (I couldnt test the water, as I had the wife and kids in tow).

All this puritanism stems from the wicked EU, which resents non-dutch citizens being able to easily enjoy the dutch liberalism.

44 minutes ago, dave_min said:

Yes really, you can fly direct from Dyce International these days.

Do you plan your trips to Parkrun locations?

Nah, they are a decent enough thing to do, gets you up on a Sat morning, means you have exercised early and can then get on with the rest of your day chilling.

Havent got  back into them since lockdown opened back up, really need to start the running again, just cant face the thought of starting from a low base

33 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Was this before or after you found God? 
( genuine question)

I didn't so much find God, as finally give Him His due.  (I am a cradle Catholic, but the Church does such a poor job of teaching today that most people drift away disinterested.  I was the same from 16 to about 28).

That particular trip mentioned was when I was 30, so after I started taking faith matters more seriously.

The most sinful thing I did on that trip (despite being surrounded by drugs and prostitutes for most of the time) was fail to attend Church on Sundays.  I still wasn't "that" serious then.

Nowadays in Amsterdam, I always drag myself out of bed to attend St Agnes Church on a Sunday morning.  (Its always popular with room mates, if they get woken up by me crashing about getting ready, after only a few hours in bed.)

There's nothing sinful with enjoying a drink etc (the Church has always been a major producer of alcohol), problems only arise if you indulge so much as to cause a loss of reason or dignity (been there, done that).  Man made laws concerning cannabis are obviously completely spurious in a moral sense.  In the West, the law and morality have long since parted company.

In the Hamburg red light area, there is a street called "grosse freiheit", ("the great freedom"), near the reeperbahn.  It is so called because it was the only place in the City where Catholics were allowed to practice their faith, during the period when the faith was heavily repressed.  There is still a Church there today.  I didn't know that during my last visit and so would love to return to visit it.

1 hour ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

I didn't so much find God, as finally give Him His due.  (I am a cradle Catholic, but the Church does such a poor job of teaching today that most people drift away disinterested.  I was the same from 16 to about 28).

That particular trip mentioned was when I was 30, so after I started taking faith matters more seriously.

The most sinful thing I did on that trip (despite being surrounded by drugs and prostitutes for most of the time) was fail to attend Church on Sundays.  I still wasn't "that" serious then.

Nowadays in Amsterdam, I always drag myself out of bed to attend St Agnes Church on a Sunday morning.  (Its always popular with room mates, if they get woken up by me crashing about getting ready, after only a few hours in bed.)

There's nothing sinful with enjoying a drink etc (the Church has always been a major producer of alcohol), problems only arise if you indulge so much as to cause a loss of reason or dignity (been there, done that).  Man made laws concerning cannabis are obviously completely spurious in a moral sense.  In the West, the law and morality have long since parted company.

In the Hamburg red light area, there is a street called "grosse freiheit", ("the great freedom"), near the reeperbahn.  It is so called because it was the only place in the City where Catholics were allowed to practice their faith, during the period when the faith was heavily repressed.  There is still a Church there today.  I didn't know that during my last visit and so would love to return to visit it.

If the church told you to fuck kids but the man made laws made it illegal, what would you think? 

Something to think about. 

16 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Is this an effort at a conundrum or what?

Just saying laws are laws. Let's just ignore them if the church says they are ok. 

The church that covered up child rape for decades dictates what you deem to be virtuous and moral. 

Haha. 

3 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

(I am a cradle Catholic, but the Church does such a poor job of teaching today that most people drift away disinterested.  I was the same from 16 to about 28).

So you spent 16-28 fucking anything that moved like every cunt else but are now all judgey about other cunts doing that? 

??

18 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Just saying laws are laws. Let's just ignore them if the church says they are ok. 

The church that covered up child rape for decades dictates what you deem to be virtuous and moral. 

Haha. 

Its quite right to criticise the Church's previous failing in dealing with child abuse, (repeated in many institutions), but ultimately the quality of its teaching stands on its fundamental accuracy, not the actions of its clergy (good or bad) that would be a  silly thing to think.

The institution does not invent or dictate morality, but rather only highlights it / discovers it.  Morality exists in and of itself, (as does truth, for example), but most do not care to recognise it.

Edit - I forgot to say your first sentence doesnt make a lot of sense, but I get your general drift ?

5 minutes ago, Parklife said:

So you spent 16-28 fucking anything that moved like every cunt else but are now all judgey about other cunts doing that? 

??

Steady on Parky, that's a bit of a leap. 

As a man (normally) in great command of my faculties, I have always been driven by cold reason, never by base urges.

Fascinates me a bit too Hanz. My old neighbour never went to church or anything in his puff. He hits 55 and then boom. Becomes a Mormon. 

His wife didn’t seem to be too delighted. But it made him happy and he went to church almost every day. 

Personally I think it was all a front and he was probably shagging some tart a few streets away. 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

I think he's saying he lost faith a bit. I've known 3 folk who have had that 'epiphany' in adulthood. Far from having a go at them it always fascinated me. 

Not at all. 

What the modern Church presents to young people (everyone really) is really puerile & insipid.  There did not seem any great point in going along.  It did not seem to have anything of great import to say, other than saccharine platitudes.  In the 1960s, it tried to reinvent itself and ended up as a bland copy of a protestant denomination.  This is the main reason behind its decline. 

Naturally (as with most people) this did not interest or inspire me in the slightest.  However, I always had a rock solid faith in God (indeed faith, is a gift from God. Anyone can have it, if they only ask) and I always prayed.  I mean, how could you not believe in God?  Its a position which does not bear the slightest scrutiny.

Eventually I did start to experience a longing to go back which I ultimately acted upon.  I think the driver for this was my putting away of childish things and starting to wonder what life was really about, and where was I going, and how we should live. and why was I praying etc? And the obvious repugnance of the Godless world.  And the realisation that, for all its faults, the Church is in fact necessary for us (else why would Christ have created it?).

On returning, I discovered the traditional part of the Church - the "real shit" -and have never looked back.  This is challenging, inspiring, beautiful, demanding, enlightening.  This is growing strongly and will eventually prevail once more.

Secular society is seductive with its bright lights and seemingly endless possibilities, but is in fact an empty, bleak and ugly thing.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Sooper-hanz said:

I think he's saying he lost faith a bit. I've known 3 folk who have had that 'epiphany' in adulthood. Far from having a go at them it always fascinated me. 

"Epiphany" 

The onset of mental illness can take hold at any age. Luckily for CS it was after his best fucking years.