Summer 2022 Transfer Window

10 minutes ago, Redmist1903 said:

It also sounds that Goodwin was trying to advise him to join us instead of Wigan. Any chance Goodwin had half a clue that he would be heading to us imminently at that stage? 

It's a reasonable theory given that Glass was bulleted a fortnight later. Cormack could never admit it but you'd imagine that prior to pulling the trigger he would have an idea of who the club's top 2 or 3 targets to replace him would be and would contact their agents discreetly ahead of the event to sound out if they'd have a genuine interest once the vacancy was confirmed.

11 minutes ago, NEM said:

Fair point though given the amount of pish we've signed previously from these 3 leagues.

The likes of Forrester, Gleeson, Taylor, Zola, Gallagher, Gurr etc spring to mind.

And a lot of our best performers in the last 10 years have came from those leagues, except for the MLS jury is still out on there.  Anyway my point is our fans are mainly unreasonable, not sure who they expect us to sign with our finances.

27 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

Can we though? If they are a half decent spl/league 1 player they are going to the championship. If they are an average championship player they are still getting a lower gig in the championship or top end of league 1. 

Pie in the sky stuff as usual expecting better. Hedges played 21 times for league 1 Barnsley the season before he joined us. Most of appearances from the bench.... and he was still our best player at one point ??

What? He’s sub keeper for 9th in league one.

fair enough if he’s coming in as back up but wouldn’t be convinced on him being no.1 choice. 

4 minutes ago, minijc said:

And a lot of our best performers in the last 10 years have came from those leagues, except for the MLS jury is still out on there.  Anyway my point is our fans are mainly unreasonable, not sure who they expect us to sign with our finances.

A lot of our best players from L1, L2 England? I’ll give you hedges, Logan, cosgrove but that’s cancelled out by about 20 shite players we’ve got from that market

5 minutes ago, Dave Bus said:

fair enough if he’s coming in as back up but wouldn’t be convinced on him being no.1 choice. 

Well he's not coming in as back up if he's currently on £4500 a week is he? Fancy coming to sit on our bench for a third of the wage? Aye nae bother. 

Also, he was signed as 1st choice..

7 minutes ago, Dave Bus said:

He was one of the best keepers in the SPFL when he was at St Mirren.

He’d be an upgrade on Lewis of the last 18 months.

An upgrade on 2017-18 Lewis? Debatable. 

But I’d be happy enough with him if he signed. 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Dave Bus said:

A lot of our best players from L1, L2 England? I’ll give you hedges, Logan, cosgrove but that’s cancelled out by about 20 shite players we’ve got from that market

I said over 10 years which is very much true, Arnason, Reynolds, Robson, Hector (loan), Logan, Rooney and there's a few others who were at Championship clubs but weren't getting games.  Like it or not league 1 and league 2 is where the bulk of our recruitment will be focused, thankfully we are now looking around Europe a bit more and of course Goodwin will look to get a player or two from Ireland in.

Hladky....hmmm. Currently being kept out of the Ipswich side by that well known 'keeper Christian Walton.........

Now Ipswich aren't yet completely out of the running to make the EFL1 play-offs but even if they do it's unlikely they'd be getting promotion. So my question would be....why sign their second choice 'keeper when their first choice might also be available for a reasonable fee?

Alternatively....just find someone that's better than both of them. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult

2 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Hladky....hmmm. Currently being kept out of the Ipswich side by that well known 'keeper Christian Walton.........

Now Ipswich aren't yet completely out of the running to make the EFL1 play-offs but even if they do it's unlikely they'd be getting promotion. So my question would be....why sign their second choice 'keeper when their first choice might also be available for a reasonable fee?

Alternatively....just find someone that's better than both of them. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult

Because Goodwin knows one of them and can trust him.

10 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Imagine playing a goalkeeper they signed from the Premier league club Brighton, has England caps at all youth ages, that they currently pay double the wage of their other goalkeeper ahead of some Czech boy that they signed from Salford. LOL

He also played every championship game for Blackburn a few years ago. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Broken_Glass said:

Why is he a reject?

Most wouldn't sign for Glass, inept and out if his depth. Goodwin knows McGrath, has worked with him  knows what he brings to a team, clearly got the best out of him resulting in ROI full caps.

Don't understand the mentality of some fans. 

He rejected us so move on. Its uninspiring. I know its difficult but if a player cant get a game in league 1 its a pretty big red flag in my book. A downgrade on Ferguson if he's moved on is not what I was hoping for! 

17 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Hearts have shown in the last year, largely recruiting from the UK market seems to be the way to go, especially with Derek McInnes also mainly targeting the English lower leagues and consistently having us up at the right end of the league.

Because they have a decent recruitment guy (Joe Savage) in place.

We had Russ Richardson who relied solely on any players being either ex-players or having played in England/Scotland for most of their career

Out of the last 3 years worth of recruitment how many were genuine successes? I'd say at best 25%

14 minutes ago, Granite95 said:

Because they have a decent recruitment guy (Joe Savage) in place.

We had Russ Richardson who relied solely on any players being either ex-players or having played in England/Scotland for most of their career

Out of the last 3 years worth of recruitment how many were genuine successes? I'd say at best 25%

I think it is important to have a core of uk based players but more important than anything is having a capable recruitment department. We need to step up or Goodwin has absolute no chance! But I do take your point that 99% of Mcinnes signings were uk based no denying that. I personally like the fact we are trying to sign players from abroad. You could argue that 2/3 non uk/british based players we signed this season have got pass marks in Vicente and Ramirez. The other being Polvara which we can't judge yet. I always look forward to see who we bring in but at same time worry on quality we will take in. Think Cormack will chuck the kitchen sink at it this summer and will spend more on transfers then ever before. 

32 minutes ago, slippers said:

He rejected us so move on. Its uninspiring. I know its difficult but if a player cant get a game in league 1 its a pretty big red flag in my book. A downgrade on Ferguson if he's moved on is not what I was hoping for! 

Thing us we won't get better than Ferguson. Maybe more "industrial" but certainly not a better player than Ferguson on our budget.

30 minutes ago, slippers said:

How often are a team our size likely to sell their best player and sign someone that's better?  The hope has to be that the replacement can do a similar job and eventually become better or at least serve the team better, I can see it with McGrath despite him being older.

• Upvote 2
16 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Thing us we won't get better than Ferguson. Maybe more "industrial" but certainly not a better player than Ferguson on our budget.

15 minutes ago, minijc said:

How often are a team our size likely to sell their best player and sign someone that's better?  The hope has to be that the replacement can do a similar job and eventually become better or at least serve the team better, I can see it with McGrath despite him being older.

Its a fair point lads! im looking forward to seeing who we are linked with and eventually sign!

46 minutes ago, slippers said:

I think it is important to have a core of uk based players but more important than anything is having a capable recruitment department. We need to step up or Goodwin has absolute no chance! But I do take your point that 99% of Mcinnes signings were uk based no denying that. I personally like the fact we are trying to sign players from abroad. You could argue that 2/3 non uk/british based players we signed this season have got pass marks in Vicente and Ramirez. The other being Polvara which we can't judge yet. I always look forward to see who we bring in but at same time worry on quality we will take in. Think Cormack will chuck the kitchen sink at it this summer and will spend more on transfers then ever before. 

You forgot Jack Gurr 

1 hour ago, slippers said:

Doesn’t need to be a like for like replacement for Ferguson though, does he? We’ve missed that number 10 type player, or indeed any midfield creativity, since Hedges left or arguably since McLean left.

I’d be interested to know how St Mirren lined up tactically when Ronan and McGrath were teammates, and going forward, how they would dovetail with Barron and McCrorie.

40 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Why not?

We got Ferguson so no reason why we can't repeat the feat. He's not a world beater but no one can say we haven't had good value for our money from him and should net us a massive profit. With a bit of decent scouting there's bound to be a similar youngster we can source for a modest fee and develop in a similar manner using the Ferguson profit. Hopefully alongside the in-house development of Barron.

4 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Why not?

We got Ferguson so no reason why we can't repeat the feat. He's not a world beater but no one can say we haven't had good value for our money from him and should net us a massive profit. With a bit of decent scouting there's bound to be a similar youngster we can source for a modest fee and develop in a similar manner using the Ferguson profit. Hopefully alongside the in-house development of Barron.

Connor Barron is your Ferguson replacement. Him deep lying playmaker, mcrorie winning the ball/ running about like a mad man around him. 
Then we need somebody to play ahead of them!! A Christie/Maddison type player from seasons gone by. 
Ronan or McGrath could do the role.

2 hours ago, minijc said:

It's laughable now, no matter which player gets suggested or linked to the club we get "we can do better" or "they are pish” the majority of our fans have a weird arrogance when it comes to players, especially guys in Scotland that have proven what they can do.

There are plenty examples where this has been blatantly correct though also.

this seasons signings alone lol

JET, Gallagher, Bates to name but 3. All PISH.

2 hours ago, Dave Bus said:

I haven’t checked but where was Lewis out of interest before we signed him & how was he doing?

2 minutes ago, ThomohawkKid said:

Connor Barron is your Ferguson replacement. Him deep lying playmaker, mcrorie winning the ball/ running about like a mad man around him. 
Then we need somebody to play ahead of them!! A Christie/Maddison type player from seasons gone by. 

I was more meaning the model of sourcing a young player, developing them into a first team regular and quickly extending their contract with a very good pay rise and then sell on for a huge profit once we've had 3  or so good years service. Matters not a jot if that player is a goalkeeper, defender, midfielder or striker.