Summer 2022 Transfer Window

10 minutes ago, minijc said:

yes because he's having to come deeper to get a touch of the ball and we've seen he isn't capable of doing that, the majority of his passes go backwards as no cunt runs in behind him, he's a penalty box striker so why not figure out a system that gets the best out of that?   I gave Goodwin the benefit of the doubt but that game at Ibrox was a shocking way to set up, Ramirez had no one within 30 yards and we were still putting long balls to him, we can all see that isn't his game and that's he's up against a couple of defenders regarded as some of the best in the league yet we persisted with it.

He's not capable of much though is he? It's always just a list of things we can't do and demands to play to his strengths. He doesn't really have any strengths apart from maybe an instinct to find space in the box. That's about it. 

We shouldn't build a team around him. 

He isn't worth it. 

Tell me what you think he does well? 

11 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Yeah because we have to put it on a plate before he's able to score.  Most of his goals have been tap ins and close range headers.  He's incapable of working a chance himself. 

He can't run with the ball, he can't turn his man or take him on, he can't get in behind his man, he's weak in the physical duels. He doesn't have quick feet to create a bit of space for himself. 

So we don't have a lot to work with. 

If you can identify that from the stands or at home, why have the professionals at the club not identified it and worked on getting more decent crosses into the box for our only option? Probably because there is a level of inability throughout the squad. A squad that recruitment have assembled without a cohesive system in mind.

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Yeah because we have to put it on a plate before he's able to score.  Most of his goals have been tap ins and close range headers.  He's incapable of working a chance himself. 

He can't run with the ball, he can't turn his man or take him on, he can't get in behind his man, he's weak in the physical duels. He doesn't have quick feet to create a bit of space for himself. 

So we don't have a lot to work with. 

Any suggestions that we should build a team around this guy are absolute lunacy. 

Adam Rooney made a career out of that 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, TheRedPrawcess said:

If you can identify that from the stands or at home, why have the professionals at the club not identified it and worked on getting more decent crosses into the box for our only option? Probably because there is a level of inability throughout the squad. A squad that recruitment have assembled without a cohesive system in mind.

Totally agree. But even if we had Pirlo playing perfect balls in behind defences for him to run onto it wouldn't make any difference as he wouldn't have the pace anyway. 

Just now, TheRedPrawcess said:

Yes I agree, but that's why I said decent crosses not balls in behind. Balls in behind definitely wouldn't suit him

It becomes a bit predictable though if you're just swinging crosses in all the time.  You need to be able to have a bit of variety in attack as most teams can find a way to deal with one approach. 

The bottom line is that he doesn't really want to do anything other than be in the box trying to get on the end of crosses. 

Which leaves you with only two realistic options. 442 or 352.  In other words playing another forward alongside him to do all the jobs he doesn't want to do. 

I just don't think he's that good to warrant building a team around his limited skill set. 

1 hour ago, Millertime said:

Listen, stop slagging people off and getting insulting when they say they're unhappy with their number 9 who will be on the best part of 10k per week, not having scored a league goal in 15

You might not agree (bizarrely) , but no need to get insulting 

Is he on £10K pw or close it, how do you know this?

14 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

He's not capable of much though is he? It's always just a list of things we can't do and demands to play to his strengths. He doesn't really have any strengths apart from maybe an instinct to find space in the box. That's about it. 

We shouldn't build a team around him. 

He isn't worth it. 

Tell me what you think he does well? 

His link up play in the first half of the season was decent, more often than not if he gets a decent chance he scores, yes there's much more he could do but if he isn't good at it why want him to try do more of it?  One issue I have as well, he's played a lot of football, that isn't on him, that's a failure of the club.

At the end of the day at this level we can't have the perfect player, people are wanking over Anderson, a player I rate yet he dribbles less than Ramirez, wins less headers and passes less than him as well, there's not a striker in the league that we could get and safely say "he'll do more than Ramirez" and that's a worry.

8 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It becomes a bit predictable though if you're just swinging crosses in all the time.  You need to be able to have a bit of variety in attack as most teams can find a way to deal with one approach. 

The bottom line is that he doesn't really want to do anything other than be in the box trying to get on the end of crosses. 

Which leaves you with only two realistic options. 442 or 352.  In other words playing another forward alongside him to do all the jobs he doesn't want to do. 

I just don't think he's that good to warrant building a team around his limited skill set. 

Having had individuals at the club work with him previously they should have known what to expect with him so that comes back to recruitment. I absolutely do not want to build around him. I think that would be ridiculous. I'm just saying this current style doesn't suit him and we don't currently have the personnel with the right attributes to compliment his limited ability. It's a whole team issue

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, TheRedPrawcess said:

Having had individuals at the club work with him previously they should have known what to expect with him so that comes back to recruitment. I absolutely do not want to build around him. I think that would be ridiculous. I'm just saying this current style doesn't suit him and we don't currently have the personnel with the right attributes to compliment his limited ability. It's a whole team issue

Stop talking sense, it won't go down well!

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

I see the papers are saying he’s now told everyone he isn’t wanting to keep that they’ll be leaving.

Seems strange to have done that while we are still battling to stay clear of a relegation battle. Very little incentive now for those players to give a fuck anymore.

They’ve barely given a fuck all season anyway tbf

52 minutes ago, minijc said:

His link up play in the first half of the season was decent, more often than not if he gets a decent chance he scores, yes there's much more he could do but if he isn't good at it why want him to try do more of it?  One issue I have as well, he's played a lot of football, that isn't on him, that's a failure of the club.

At the end of the day at this level we can't have the perfect player, people are wanking over Anderson, a player I rate yet he dribbles less than Ramirez, wins less headers and passes less than him as well, there's not a striker in the league that we could get and safely say "he'll do more than Ramirez" and that's a worry.

Probably not but we could get a few players to do the same job for a fraction of the cost. Don’t think it’s. Stretch to expect him to do more than than the vast majority of strikers in the league given the money he’s on 

3 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

I see the papers are saying he’s now told everyone he isn’t wanting to keep that they’ll be leaving.

Seems strange to have done that while we are still battling to stay clear of a relegation battle. Very little incentive now for those players to give a fuck anymore.

So that’s Cormack and half the board gone, plus glass and Mcinnes smush signings. [  Gone.]. 

Goodwin is certainly going to need to pull a few of rabbits out of the hat in the forward positions because we are toothless up front. JET (thank fuck) has gone. As has McGinn and no doubt Ramirez will follow in the summer. I like Watkins but staying fit for long periods is an issue for him.

For starters we could do worse than bringing big Sam back home on loan. Bring him back to the one place where he actually scored goals.

• Haha 1
56 minutes ago, Shinniesta said:

Goodwin is certainly going to need to pull a few of rabbits out of the hat in the forward positions because we are toothless up front. JET (thank fuck) has gone. As has McGinn and no doubt Ramirez will follow in the summer. I like Watkins but staying fit for long periods is an issue for him.

For starters we could do worse than bringing big Sam back home on loan. Bring him back to the one place where he actually scored goals.

He's been worse than fucking useless for about a year before we sold him and everywhere else he's been since. 

If we were considering bringing an ex striker of ours back on loan now it would clearly be Jayden Stockley who's got an excellent scoring record at Charlton. They wouldn't let him go though.

Let's just sign at least one new striker in the summer that has a proven scoring record

7 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

He's been worse than fucking useless for about a year before we sold him and everywhere else he's been since. 

If we were considering bringing an ex striker of ours back on loan now it would clearly be Jayden Stockley who's got an excellent scoring record at Charlton. They wouldn't let him go though.

Let's just sign at least one new striker in the summer that has a proven scoring record

Given the choice I'd plump for Stockley too. At least he's shown consistency in his scoring record.

12 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Cosgrove was excellent for most of his time here considering he looked useless when he first arrived. No doubt at the end of his time here his head was elsewhere and he wanted to move on. He wouldn't be the first player to do well up here who then couldn't replicate that form down south and came back up to try to re-ignite their career. 

I agree we should go all out to sign a striker with a proven scoring record but those players can be hard to find at this level. However if the opportunity came to take Cosgrove back on loan for a year I'd personally be all for it. He's proven he can score goals in this league.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Shinniesta said:

Cosgrove scored about 3 in his last months.

The best deal we’re ever likely to do was sell him for £2m.

2 minutes ago, Shinniesta said:

Cosgrove was excellent for most of his time here considering he looked useless when he first arrived. No doubt at the end of his time here his head was elsewhere and he wanted to move on. He wouldn't be the first player to do well up here who then couldn't replicate that form down south and came back up to try to re-ignite their career. 

I agree we should go all out to sign a striker with a proven scoring record but those players can be hard to find at this level. However if the opportunity came to take Cosgrove back on loan for a year I'd personally be all for it. He's proven he can score goals in this league.

Cosgrove was the perfect example of someone who thought they'd made it.  Stopped doing the simple things and it showed when the goals dries up.

During his initial dry spell he was contributing to the team. In the second dry spell he offered nothing. 

I hope for his sake he has learnt his lesson. 

19 minutes ago, Shinniesta said:

No he wasnt

14 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Cosgrove was the perfect example of someone who thought they'd made it.  Stopped doing the simple things and it showed when the goals dries up.

During his initial dry spell he was contributing to the team. In the second dry spell he offered nothing. 

I hope for his sake he has learnt his lesson. 

Agreed he thought he had made it and as you say I hope he's learned his lesson and realised the error of his ways. There is a player in there though he showed that for most of the time he was here. If the opportunity arose to take him back on loan next season I'd be happy to take a chance on him. He's still young and has proved when he is confident and focused that he can score goals in this league.

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

No he wasnt

I disagree. He developed well here considering how raw he was at first and scored nearly 50 goals for the club he was a handful. Compare that to Stevie May who we signed 6 months earlier. His goals to game ratio for AFC is actually slightly better than Adam Rooney's. On the whole Cosgrove did very well for us in my opinion we have never adequately replaced him.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Hagi's pubic hair said:

Is he on £10K pw or close it, how do you know this?

Think we all know that based on previous salary and the fact he moved over to the other side of the world he can’t be far off 10k a week. Brown must of been somewhere around that figure too. I’m not sure what’s happened since Glass left but he’s been terrible in almost every game. I know their has been contributing factors so he isn’t entirely to blame but we have almost been playing with a man down since Goodwin got in the door. Prior to that I’d say largely impressive overall! 

• Haha 1