Summer 2022 Transfer Window

I have a lot more faith in our Goodwins judgment/approval on any players we source than I did Glass.

Glass basically said ‘yes please’ to any & all suggestions regardless of their abilities 

Goodwin will actually consider whether these suggestions are actually worthy of being Aberdeen players 

27 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

There are plenty examples where this has been blatantly correct though also.

this seasons signings alone lol

JET, Gallagher, Bates to name but 3. All PISH.

I haven’t checked but where was Lewis out of interest before we signed him & how was he doing?

So where should we be signing players from?  Imo it doesn't really matter as the majority of our fans will say a player is pish no matter what whilst ignoring that most of our currently players have been pish, it's embarrassing how some of these fans act.

There's plenty of good players out there in worse leagues and teams than ours, this is where our scouting needs to be smarter.

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, minijc said:

So where should we be signing players from?  Imo it doesn't really matter as the majority of our fans will say a player is pish no matter what whilst ignoring that most of our currently players have been pish, it's embarrassing how some of these fans act.

There's plenty of good players out there in worse leagues and teams than ours, this is where our scouting needs to be smarter.

I’ve seen Forrest of Livingston written off by some yet any time that I have seen him he has looked decent.

Maybe your Livi mates who watch regularly can advise on his ability. ?

8 minutes ago, minijc said:

It is frustrating that people write off every single target from other leagues without looking more closely first.  Seems that there is a cursory glance at wikipedia then the player is written off.

With regard to players who play in our own league there's an element of snobbery that someone playing for St Mirren/Motherwell/Ross County can't be better than what we have already despite watching our lot huff and puff all season.

It's about building a team rather than each individual signing for me.  There's going to be a mix required of home grown youth, other team's young players on the way up and mid career guys from other teams who have attributes our guys don't have.  As well as a sprinkling of stardust on top where we can afford it.

We've collected a group of individual players who just don't gel as a unit resulting in a general lack of pace and mental fortitude across the team.  Yeah, some of them might look good on paper but they just don't gel as part of a team.

• Upvote 2
23 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I’ve seen Forrest of Livingston written off by some yet any time that I have seen him he has looked decent.

Maybe your Livi mates who watch regularly can advise on his ability. ?

The funny thing for me with him was that folk then went on about how his brother is also shit and how they wouldn't want him here either, sort of shows our fans up.

Anyway on Alan Forrest if we do sign him he'll bring some much needed pace to the team, he's had more crosses (132) than any Dons player except for Ramsay (155), he's had more assists than any one of our players and also had more key passes than any of our players too, all of that in a side that's more rigid and direct. 

32 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It is frustrating that people write off every single target from other leagues without looking more closely first.  Seems that there is a cursory glance at wikipedia then the player is written off.

With regard to players who play in our own league there's an element of snobbery that someone playing for St Mirren/Motherwell/Ross County can't be better than what we have already despite watching our lot huff and puff all season.

It's about building a team rather than each individual signing for me.  There's going to be a mix required of home grown youth, other team's young players on the way up and mid career guys from other teams who have attributes our guys don't have.  As well as a sprinkling of stardust on top where we can afford it.

We've collected a group of individual players who just don't gel as a unit resulting in a general lack of pace and mental fortitude across the team.  Yeah, some of them might look good on paper but they just don't gel as part of a team.

Great post. 

Just cos a player ain’t getting a game for a team thought of as lesser than AFC, doesn’t automatically mean he’s pish. Maybe he doesn’t fit into the style of his current club, or maybe he’s being kept out of the side by a very good player.

Its all about identifying available players to fit into the style you want to play. Not 11 individuals; one team. Too often in the past, we’ve signed players for the hell of it, with no thoughts on fitting into the team pattern; exhibit A - James Maddison 

Imagine what the shitfest on here would have like back in the day when we signed Dougie Bell? Or Stevie Archibald? 

2 minutes ago, shooftahmooftah said:

So with half the team knowing they will be dunted next season.  It doesn’t look good for the relegation so called fight, as the half knowing they will be out next season will not fight for a win in the final 5 games.   In other words they won’t give a monkeys if Aberdeen go down or stay up. 

Wonder what the staying 11 would look like ?

4 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

Van Veen is one that interests me not just a big lump, but he scores goals , has pace and showed his commitment when he played with a discolated shoulder 

4 of his 10 goals in 35 appearances have come against us.  He has torn us a new one this season, noone's going to argue with that, but by all accounts he's been pish except when he plays Aberdeen.  Another Curtis Main.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

Van Veen is one that interests me not just a big lump, but he scores goals , has pace and showed his commitment when he played with a discolated shoulder 

Turns 31 in about 6 weeks time. If he had been younger I'd agree but I think he's got a year left on his 'Well contract and I don't think he's worth a transfer fee at this stage of his career.... the majority of which was spent at Scunthorpe over 2 spells. 

2 hours ago, ericblack4boss said:

No thanks.  As others have said he only turns up against us

23 hours ago, slippers said:

I think it is important to have a core of uk based players but more important than anything is having a capable recruitment department. We need to step up or Goodwin has absolute no chance! But I do take your point that 99% of Mcinnes signings were uk based no denying that. I personally like the fact we are trying to sign players from abroad. You could argue that 2/3 non uk/british based players we signed this season have got pass marks in Vicente and Ramirez. The other being Polvara which we can't judge yet. I always look forward to see who we bring in but at same time worry on quality we will take in. Think Cormack will chuck the kitchen sink at it this summer and will spend more on transfers then ever before. 

Ramirez does not get a pass mark. Have you watched him or just go by the goals he scored before Xmas? Also most of his goals have been tap ins.

Gurr was also horrendous and given Polvara can't get a game I'm guessing he's cack. 1 out of 4 and even at that I wouldn't say Vinnie is amazing yet

On 4/13/2022 at 10:25 AM, minijc said:

I said over 10 years which is very much true, Arnason, Reynolds, Robson, Hector (loan), Logan, Rooney and there's a few others who were at Championship clubs but weren't getting games.  Like it or not league 1 and league 2 is where the bulk of our recruitment will be focused, thankfully we are now looking around Europe a bit more and of course Goodwin will look to get a player or two from Ireland in.

Did you watch Arni in his second spell???

I'll give you the rest

13 minutes ago, Dave Bus said:

Arnason wasn’t terrible in second spell, scored quite a few goals actually. Better than Bates/Gallagher to be honest.

The semi final vs Motherwell was one of the worst defensive performances I've seen from any player at Aberdeen.  

First Goal - literally headed the ball back into his own box, then was nowhere near the cross

Second goal - fell over trying to defend the high ball, letting the Motherwell player to score

Third Goal - Made an arse of a clearance, hit it straight at Curtis fucking Main, giving him a free run at goal.

And the WORST thing about his performance? it ensured that Derek McInnes would sign Curtis Main 2 years later. 

Arnason was horrendous in his second spell.

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

The semi final vs Motherwell was one of the worst defensive performances I've seen from any player at Aberdeen.  

First Goal - literally headed the ball back into his own box, then was nowhere near the cross

Second goal - fell over trying to defend the high ball, letting the Motherwell player to score

Third Goal - Made an arse of a clearance, hit it straight at Curtis fucking Main, giving him a free run at goal.

And the WORST thing about his performance? it ensured that Derek McInnes would sign Curtis Main 2 years later. 

Arnason was horrendous in his second spell.

Arnason was shite 2nd spell but that 1st goal is handball and 2nd was a clear push on him. 3rd was fucking horrific though.