Summer 2022 Transfer Window

47 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

He didn’t need to add an adjective in front of the words “ new left sided centre back”. Just leave it with those words alone, adding words like exciting is unnecessary and just puts added pressure on both himself and whoever the fuck the player is, Scales by the looks of it.

I think we're getting a bit carried away about the use of this adjective though.

He could mean it's exciting for the club, as it fits the new transfer philosophy of buying young talent (I've no idea what the actual deal is) with the view of moving them on for profit in a few years. A philosphy many people would point towards if we signed a 30 year old player. The last young LCB we had like was McKenna and we've done very well from him.

Honestly min, we're being critical now because he used 1 word when talking up potential signings. As for adding pressure, he should be adding the pressure! Some have complaints that he thinks he's still at St Mirren and our expectations are higher than theirs and he needs to remember that, then we criticise him for applying too much pressure by adding 1 word too many in a sentence. Fuck me min, some of our fans are impossible to win over.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, RabidGiraffe said:

174 matches in all competitions according to his wiki page.  Most of them in the Irish Premier.  Anyone got an idea what level that is, Scottish Championship?

One of the articles on the go insinuates Dermot Desmond bought him for Celtic because Shamrock Rovers were struggling financially and he happens to be a 25% shareholder in that club.

Could well be this guy turns out to be pretty good, but it sounds to me like we're signing a 24-year-old who has played most of his career a level or two below where we are now and aspire to be.

I'd be ok with this as long as it's not a loan, we're not paying anywhere near the £540k Celtic paid for him, and we've also got our eyes on a more experienced LCB for competition. 

On paper, Scales and Bates is not a CB pairing that fills me with confidence.

Shamrock aren’t a level or two below us, comfortably better than us I’m afraid.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, TheRedPrawcess said:

I think we're getting a bit carried away about the use of this adjective though.

He could mean it's exciting for the club, as it fits the new transfer philosophy of buying young talent (I've no idea what the actual deal is) with the view of moving them on for profit in a few years. A philosphy many people would point towards if we signed a 30 year old player. The last young LCB we had like was McKenna and we've done very well from him.

Honestly min, we're being critical now because he used 1 word when talking up potential signings. As for adding pressure, he should be adding the pressure! Some have complaints that he thinks he's still at St Mirren and our expectations are higher than theirs and he needs to remember that, then we criticise him for applying too much pressure by adding 1 word too many in a sentence. Fuck me min, some of our fans are impossible to win over.

Fair doos min, BBQ is on now and the first chilled lager necked.

All I’m saying is, all Jimbo needed to say was, “I hope and I’m sure the lad will go onto have a successful AFC career, blah blah blah”. By saying what he said, some fans will be expecting Cruyff turns, Beckenbaur struts outta defence, Willie Miller crunching tackles. Etc etc.

Done now so we move on

5 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

All I’m saying is, all Jimbo needed to say was, “I hope and I’m sure the lad will go onto have a successful AFC career, blah blah blah”. By saying what he said, some fans will be expecting Cruyff turns, Beckenbaur struts outta defence, Willie Miller crunching tackles. Etc etc.

Done now so we move on

Any Aberdeen fan expecting that needs checked into Cornhill FFS. 

Common sense for anyone not in their teens tells you different, surely?! 

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Done now so we move on

Aye fair enough. Although, if any Aberdeen fan expects us to sign an out of favour CB from Celtic and is disappointed when they don't do Cruyff turns and Beckenbauer struts then they've only themselves to blame surely.

Willie Miller crunching tackles should be discussed during contract negotiations however.

• Haha 1

Tims sniffing about Barron. Had him scouted at todays u21 match so for any of you that watched it he certainly impressed. For me, he was the best player on the park. So we could possibly be looking at losing another youngster. As long as we don't sell him and take Scales on loan as part of it. That would be criminal and finish me with Cormack ?

3 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

He just signed a 2.5 year deal in Jan. I don't think he'll sign for Celtic personally. A good season up here next season and he can think about England. Celtic will ruin him. 

He's got two years left, his agency is the same as Considine so we already know they can be pricks.

2 minutes ago, minijc said:

I'd say it's quite a story when we are currently trying to sign a player from them.

I disagree. Swap deals damn near never happen. 

If we're smart we're offering Connor better terms with a minimum release clause. He's worth it. 

I don't think Barron and Scales are linked. 

4 minutes ago, RabidGiraffe said:

The Scottish Premier is ranked about 15th in terms of European leagues.  The Irish Premier is around 30th at best.  That was the comparison I was making.

Being very generous here, scotland are 9th and Ireland are 40th, shamrock rovers are dung

3 minutes ago, CCB III said:

I disagree. Swap deals damn near never happen. 

If we're smart we're offering Connor better terms with a minimum release clause. He's worth it. 

I don't think Barron and Scales are linked. 

Nothing to do with swaps but Celtic can play hardball and ensure we don't get Scales unless we let them get Barron.

20 minutes ago, Dave Bus said:

Need to get him on a new contract

Could be 1 of the most important pieces of business this summer. Even the club didn’t expect this rise I’d assume. Probably would of signed any length of deal proposed in January now he will be on the radar of a lot of teams.  

Just now, WesthillWanderersFC said:

We need another 12 months on that so that at the end of NEXT season we still have 2 years of a contract to protect ourselves. 

Aye i'd be happy to give him another contract and a decent wage rise. 

Ramsay should seal his move to Liverpool this week. £6m plus add ons being touted.