Summer 2022 Transfer Window

4 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Kennedy has had a couple decent games against teams in League 1 and 2.  We're not going to truely find out how he's getting on for a few months (i.e. After the window has closed). History tells us (Kennedys record throughout his career) that we need another winger.   And if Kennedy does suddenly start creating a shit load of goals, then good for him, he keeps his place in the team, if not he stays on the bench and gets released next summer. 

Exactly this.

I’ll not be jumping on the Matty Kennedy bandwagon until he’s doing it against the Premiership teams in & around us.

IMO we should be (& think we are) looking for another winger. 

4 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

I think we have moved on from Ronan his will be a deadline day loan and I don’t think JG wants that uncertainty 

Agreed... after Goodwin stating he hopes to have another couple of 'really good' players in before the Celtic game.(12 days away) and that we are currently in discussions with them its clear its not Ronan. He's currently away in Spain with Wolves on their training camp, they're obviously still looking at him to decide whether they want to keep, sell or loan.

I'd guess whoever we are in discussions with will be players that none of us will be able to guess.

28 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

If Kennedy carries on as he has i don't think we particularly need to look at a winger now. Miovski can play there at a push, Duk can play there and so can Besuijen, Hayes and maybe Ryan Duncan. 

If he's still looking for a central midfielder I wonder if Jay Henderson is somebody he will be looking at? Highly thought of at St Mirren and very much in the Kenny McLean mould. 

I hope the defender isn't Dunne (i don't think it will be). 

No idea who the attacking midfielder will be. Don't think Ronan fits the typical "10" type player. 

Jay Henderson is an attacking player / CAM or wings. Would defo be a good investment 

5 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

Yeah they have been lower league teams but he's back to full fitness now so we'll hopefully see what he's about. I guess we'll soon see where we're going to strengthen. I think we need to push the boat out for a creative midfielder. It's the key part to making this team click. 

Yeah we will see what he's about. But that doesn't mean not signing a winger. That would be negligence of the highest order. 

By creative midfielder,  i assume you mean more central? Yes we need one of those also.  

1 hour ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

Goodwin praised the Dons board for their backing in the window and insists he’s not finished yet. He said: “The board deserve to be congratulated for their level of investment as we paid a hefty transfer fee for Miovski.

"We had to pay money to get Richardson out of Forest, Ramadani out of MTK and prior to me coming in big investment in Besuijen as well. It's great that I'm at a club where those sorts of resources are available but it not an endless pot of money.

“But the budget will be up there with Hibs, Hearts and Dundee United. I would still like another attacking midfielder and defender as well as a central midfielder."

.......McGrath, Dunne and Ronan? The St Mirren connection ?

Seems like a slight change of plan as it was a number 10, a central midfielder and  a winger that was mentioned previously. He did mention that Duk can play off the side or slightly in behind yesterday so maybe he thinks he doesn't need a winger now.  

I thought miovski was the one who would be of the wing or behind the striker but Goodwin said he’s a number 9 and Lopez could do that. Has their roles switched 

7 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

Are we that much better than St. Mirren?  Last season we certainly weren’t!

issue with this lad is that, if he does have a break through season, he'll have much more attractive available options.... 

I might be wrong, but I think the 'lazy recruitment' thing refers to the signing policy of some of the previous managers.  Calderwood & McInnes in particular, would stick to known quantities - that they'd either worked with before, had impressed them while playing against us, or were 'good to have about the place'.  There wasn't really any scouting going on... (other than big Scottie Calderwood!).  I don't think Dylan Reid fit's into that category... he's a talented teenager, who's available for a price within our budget. This type of signing suits the model that the club have previously discussed - signing promising youngsters, developing them and then selling them on for a profit.  There's some strategy there... I don't think you can compare that to re-signing Ash Taylor... or bringing in 'bonus ball' Derek Young!

I just don't believe that he would get in out first team squad right now and especially once we have finished our summer recruitment. Where as he has came off the bench for St Mirren in the past 2 games. So my point was that he didnt move to Celtic as he wanted to stay where he would get first team game time so i don't believe he would move to us either.

My point with regards to the recruitment was that how many of those who are saying we should buy him have actually watched Dylan play? I havn't read anyone on here say previously "i was at a St Mirren reserves game or i seen this young lad come off the bench for St Mirren who looked outstanding and we should sign him". They are all just reading him being linked with the Glasgow pair and deciding he must be good so lets sign him up.

Tell me what you have seen about Dylan that you think is his strengths that justify us paying 125k for him right now? Take into consideration, We signed an experienced 26 year old international for less than 100k who on his first showing last week having only had a couple of days training stood out a mile but you think paying 125k+ add on's for some one not ready for the first team would be good value for money? and comparing him with our own youngsters who play in the same role do you think he is that much better than our own? Would you be happy to block Dylan Lobban's pathway with someone who is not ready for our first team? 

As I said he is completely different to Ferguson who was physically ready for first team SPL football every week and who it should be said McInnes signed on a pre contract when not that many had taken notice off as to how good he was still (so i take it you will be crediting him for the scouting of that one). 

We have paid much smaller fee's for Ruth and Mark Gallagher when our scouting picked them up as worthy of attention but when neither of them were ready for first team football but it seemed like they might be worth a gamble as they were talented but still had a lot of developing to do. If it was 25K or so for Dylan i could fully understand the reasoning but 125k for a youngster who is undoubtedly talented but still got an awful lot of developing needed physically seems way to much right now in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, thurso said:

I thought miovski was the one who would be of the wing or behind the striker but Goodwin said he’s a number 9 and Lopez could do that. Has their roles switched 

Going by the youtube clips, profiles etc it seemed pretty clear that Lopes is an out and out striker and Miovski is a bit more flexible.

Goodwin seems to be making the case that it's going to be the other way round.

Lopes is clearly a striker but great if he can pick up minutes and contribute in other positions.

8 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

Point I'm making you said it's not going to be them so it will be someone else. No shit ?

Point i'm making is your clearly thick as shit.

Lots of names mentioned/suggested on here over the past few months with Ronan and McGrath still being mentioned regularly. What i'm suggesting (if you actually turn your brain on) is that it likely won't be Ronan, McGrath or any other names any poster has ever mentioned but like Lopes will be left field signings that none of us will guess.

You're just being facetious for the sake of being facetious.

54 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

If Kennedy carries on as he has i don't think we particularly need to look at a winger now. Miovski can play there at a push, Duk can play there and so can Besuijen, Hayes and maybe Ryan Duncan. 

If he's still looking for a central midfielder I wonder if Jay Henderson is somebody he will be looking at? Highly thought of at St Mirren and very much in the Kenny McLean mould. 

I hope the defender isn't Dunne (i don't think it will be). 

No idea who the attacking midfielder will be. Don't think Ronan fits the typical "10" type player. 

Henderson is a quick nippy right winger so wouldn't say he was in the Kenny McLean mould in,. But he is a good young player who will be out of contract next summer and probably be one that JG will keep an eye on in the season ahead as a possible replacement next summer for the players we currently have in that role if a replacement is needed.

1 hour ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Kennedy has had a couple decent games against teams in League 1 and 2.  We're not going to truely find out how he's getting on for a few months (i.e. After the window has closed). History tells us (Kennedys record throughout his career) that we need another winger.   And if Kennedy does suddenly start creating a shit load of goals, then good for him, he keeps his place in the team, if not he stays on the bench and gets released next summer. 

It's a bit of a stretch to say Kennedy had a good GAME against Peterhead.  Up until his run to win the penalty , he'd done nothing of note. The best I could say about him is that he was always looking for the ball and making himself available for a pass. But for over an hour,he didn't do much with it. Against mediocre opponents. And his deliveries from dead balls were mostly pretty poor....overhit corners being his speciality that day.

Hope he proves me wrong, but I'm not building my hopes up for him to become the new peak Jonny Hayes for us.

44 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Yeah we will see what he's about. But that doesn't mean not signing a winger. That would be negligence of the highest order. 

By creative midfielder,  i assume you mean more central? Yes we need one of those also.  

Yeah i mean central. A "10" if you like. A christie or Maddison type. 

I just think he may look at playing Duk out wide at times. We may sign a winger if we let McLennan go then we may look at a winger. But Duncan is staying until at least Jan so we currently have Hayes, Kennedy, Besuijen, McLennan, Duncan, Duk and Miovski (albeit the last 2 aren't ideally out and out wingers) all capable of playing out wide. Unless say 2 of those go then i can't see us signing a winger. But i've been wrong plenty of times before ?

For me, we definitely need a "10", a left back and a central midfielder.

31 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

Henderson is a quick nippy right winger so wouldn't say he was in the Kenny McLean mould in,. But he is a good young player who will be out of contract next summer and probably be one that JG will keep an eye on in the season ahead as a possible replacement next summer for the players we currently have in that role if a replacement is needed.

I stand corrected. I thought he was an attacking midfielder. Or at least that's what my St Mirren supporting mate told me. 

56 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Point i'm making is your clearly thick as shit.

Lots of names mentioned/suggested on here over the past few months with Ronan and McGrath still being mentioned regularly. What i'm suggesting (if you actually turn your brain on) is that it likely won't be Ronan, McGrath or any other names any poster has ever mentioned but like Lopes will be left field signings that none of us will guess.

You're just being facetious for the sake of being facetious.

Just a pointless statement to make, after you've already said we've moved on from Ronan it's fairly obvious that it isn't going to be someone we know about because there's fuck all names kicking about bar them 2. 

1 hour ago, AyrshireSheep said:

Yeah i mean central. A "10" if you like. A christie or Maddison type. 

I just think he may look at playing Duk out wide at times. We may sign a winger if we let McLennan go then we may look at a winger. But Duncan is staying until at least Jan so we currently have Hayes, Kennedy, Besuijen, McLennan, Duncan, Duk and Miovski (albeit the last 2 aren't ideally out and out wingers) all capable of playing out wide. Unless say 2 of those go then i can't see us signing a winger. But i've been wrong plenty of times before ?

For me, we definitely need a "10", a left back and a central midfielder.

Well the issue i have with those players are 

Hayes - 35 years old

Kennedy - Only 30 assists in 287 games. 

Besuijen - 0 assists so far for AFC

McLennan - out of favour and has never recreated form of initial run about 4 or 5 years ago. 

Duncan - young and untested

Duk - not really a winger

Miovski - not a winger

I would like to think Goodwin knows we need another winger. 

12 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Well the issue i have with those players are 

Hayes - 35 years old

Kennedy - Only 30 assists in 287 games. 

Besuijen - 0 assists so far for AFC

McLennan - out of favour and has never recreated form of initial run about 4 or 5 years ago. 

Duncan - young and untested

Duk - not really a winger

Miovski - not a winger

I would like to think Goodwin knows we need another winger. 

and it doesnt need to be a budget problem either (if we are maxed out soon) as we can go and get a loan from a top club with little contribution and the promise of game time