Barry Robson

2 hours ago, old sheep said:

5 wins from 7 with a team that has lost 6-0 to Hibs, 5-0 to Hearts and 4-0 to Dundee Utd this season. Proves that Goodwin was totally out of his depth, but also that Robson deserves a lot of credit. He would certainly be getting a lot more plaudits if his name was Wilder or Clarke.

Just a shame we were in such a rush to appoint Goodwin last year, if we took our time, we probably would've found ourselves in this position with Robson just over a year ago rather than the shit show that followed. 

11 hours ago, Millertime said:

Just watched his pre match conference

He is growing into the role and handles them better now

I'm warming more and more to the idea of him as our proper new manager

Big big test today 

Aye, I mentioned that this morning or was it last night, in the match thread. He's focussed. Not engaging in media theatre. Basically told Tyrone post match to ram it upon his usual, mind numbing questioning on the managerial role.

On 2/17/2022 at 4:34 PM, RED_JOHN said:

Shall we just go with Barry Robson until the end of the season and hope that will give our esteemed board and DOF enough time to source a decent manager? 
No one really has Jim Goodwin or Jack Ross as a top choice as Dons boss so we might well be better waiting a small while until we come up with a better candidate.

What a load of rubbish you speak. We are one point off 3rd.!! Yet still you trash Robson. Get off the negativity wagon !!

• Dildo 1
2 hours ago, G man said:

What a load of rubbish you speak. We are one point off 3rd.!! Yet still you trash Robson. Get off the negativity wagon !!

2 hours ago, Bebo said:

You're quoting a post from January 2022.

G man is either pished out his nut

or

Red John taking the pish 🤣

• Haha 1

Only as good as your last game.

70+% win rate

Keep it up Robson 👍

by the time the split comes he will have played all the teams in league (except Hibs) so fair to judge him then.

will all next 3 & he will be on a 90% win rate 🤣 highly unlikely but would be some achievement if he done it

2 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Sorry. Win next 3 & will be on 80% win rate after playing all except Hibs

Forgot about his first game v St Mirren

Assuming we make the top 6 then if he's got anything above a 50% win rate at the end of the season that will be a decent return over the 15 games all things considered. 

Even a few draws on top of that will be handy as we tend to either win or lose and rarely draw. Draws are not the end of the world, especially away from home against the teams at the top of the table. 

17 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Assuming we make the top 6 then if he's got anything above a 50% win rate at the end of the season that will be a decent return over the 15 games all things considered. 

Even a few draws on top of that will be handy as we tend to either win or lose and rarely draw. Draws are not the end of the world, especially away from home against the teams at the top of the table. 

Very true. Considering he will have played both arse cheeks twice & Hearts twice in those 15 games.

That said all he would need is 8 wins from those 15 to remain above 50% so only 3 more wins (which would be pretty shite in actual fact as far as European football hopes go)

Just now, fine-n-dandy said:

That said all he would need is 8 wins from those 15 to remain above 50% so only 3 more wins (which would be pretty shite in actual fact) 

Aye, he's got a chance of a really good return when you put it like that. 

Still think this team aren't out of the woods yet regarding the odd stinker of a result on the road though and I think we need to be mindful of that.  Rome wasn't built in a day. 

1 hour ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Sorry. Win next 3 & will be on 80% win rate after playing all except Hibs

Forgot about his first game v St Mirren

I'd like to temper those riding the current wave though. I'm very much in support of Barry, but we will, inevitably, hit a bad game or games, for which it's important to stay composed and judge the reaction from the players thereafter. Killie at home - the odds are in our favour. County away - who knows... could go either way that. Then the huns... well, if Barry can't get them motivated for that, then we're f*cked. League could all be gone by then.... by ra way... is there a chance that that game could be the title decider? Shades of 10IAR spring to mind.

2 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

I'd like to temper those riding the current wave though. I'm very much in support of Barry, but we will, inevitably, hit a bad game or games, for which it's important to stay composed and judge the reaction from the players thereafter. Killie at home - the odds are in our favour. County away - who knows... could go either way that. Then the huns... well, if Barry can't get them motivated for that, then we're f*cked. League could all be gone by then.... by ra way... is there a chance that that game could be the title decider? Shades of 10IAR spring to mind.

Aye we'll likely have a few defeats between now and the end of the season. 

Everyone keeping the heid during that (management, players and support) will be important to avoid things falling off a cliff again. 

29 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye we'll likely have a few defeats between now and the end of the season. 

Everyone keeping the heid during that (management, players and support) will be important to avoid things falling off a cliff again. 

Losing a game could send the next manager thread into turmoil... oh wait.

40 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

We should be beating Kilmarnock at home and Ross county away, even Huns at home is one we should be looking to win. Realistically six points out of nine would be good

41 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

There is a chance of it being a title decider. (Except for goal difference)
Should Celtic win next week they will be 12 clear, so if they lost to us they could potentially be 15 behind Celtic going into split. 

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye I agree. What's funny though, is that people were slating Goodwin in November when he had us sitting top 3 with a 50% win rate in the league this season. For what it's worth, 55% win rate with no draws last season would have finished in ahead of Hearts.

• 3 weeks later...

Big decisions looming for Barry now that Shinnie is suspended for 2/3rds of our remaining games this season. McCrorie back into midfield is an option but that likely means playing Kennedy or Richardson at RWB which fills me with fear. We can't rely on Barron or Myslovic to replace Shinnie. Not sure playing Ryan Duncan as his replacement (especially away from home) is the answer either. One option is to put Coulson at LWB and bring Hayes into the middle alongside Clarkson and Rama. That would probably be my preference. Not ideal but it is what it is. Shinnie will be a big miss. 

3 minutes ago, Shinniesta said:

Big decisions looming for Barry now that Shinnie is suspended for 2/3rds of our remaining games this season. McCrorie back into midfield is an option but that likely means playing Kennedy or Richardson at RWB which fills me with fear. We can't rely on Barron or Myslovic to replace Shinnie. Not sure playing Ryan Duncan as his replacement (especially away from home) is the answer either. One option is to put Coulson at LWB and bring Hayes into the middle alongside Clarkson and Rama. That would probably be my preference. Not ideal but it is what it is. Shinnie will be a big miss. 

Coulson/Hayes shout is the one for Sunday. 

1 minute ago, Shinniesta said:

Especially as Robson is working with a very small squad he believes in. We have been lucky to avoid injuries to this point . Lets hope it continues that way. Can Robson get anything out of Barron from now to the end of the season?

1 minute ago, G man said:

Especially as Robson is working with a very small squad he believes in. We have been lucky to avoid injuries to this point . Lets hope it continues that way. Can Robson get anything out of Barron from now to the end of the season?

Yeah I was going to mention that we are only really a couple of injuries away from a bit of a problem. Let's hope we can keep the majority of them fit playing once a week (at times recently only once a fortnight with international breaks and Scottish Cup weekends) has definitely helped.

9 minutes ago, Shinniesta said:

One option is to put Coulson at LWB and bring Hayes into the middle alongside Clarkson and Rama. That would probably be my preference. Not ideal but it is what it is. Shinnie will be a big miss. 

That would probably be my choice too, or the least worst option anyway.

Looking at the players Robson has been selecting you would think bringing in Coulson is more likely than Kennedy (who hasn't played since Celtic away) or Richardson (who I don't think has played a minute under Robson yet).  Barron has had a difficult season suffering from injuries and indifferent form.  I don't think Myslovic can be relied upon in this situation as of yet.

With the tough matches we have coming up I think Duncan is better as an option from the bench rather than first choice.

5 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Get Robson himself in centre mid. Never had any pace whatsoever at any stage with us. Just binned folk and sprayed passes about. I reckon he could still do that. 

Did he ever play in the same team as Shinnie? 

2015/16 we had Jack, Shinnie, McLean, Flood and Robson. That's not too shabby.