Aberdeen 3 - 1 Hibernian

2 hours ago, Kilgore Trout said:

Not hate merely an observation my fine feathered friend. Granted I can be accused of clutching at straws with a good measure of hyperbole thrown in . I hope that Saturday is the corner turner rather than an up followed by a succession of downs

I am hopefull that Watkins will be able to make some kind of contribution before his inevitable next injury but by Christ Cormack has left us seriously short in the striking department. 

Then do feel free to cite examples of your observations of me 'pant pishing'... I'm sure there must be some terrific examples there if I'm the worst in the thread. 

:coffee:

14 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Some folk seem to like slagging off Ramirez & Ferguson.

Let’s see how easy they’ll be to replace next season.

It’ll be the best part of 35-40 goals to replace for starters.

Aye but we're 10th with the 3rd/4th highest budget.

We have to be looking at better. 

39 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Some folk seem to like slagging off Ramirez & Ferguson.

Let’s see how easy they’ll be to replace next season.

It’ll be the best part of 35-40 goals to replace for starters.

Agree with Ferguson. 

Can replace 15 goals in 40 matches surely? Even if they score less, they might offer more to the team. 

Ferguson & Barron were excellent on Saturday, especially second half. I'm really pleased to see Barron take this chance and hope he can keep up this level.

McLennan huffs and puffs but just hasn't proved he has what it takes to be a Premier League player.  Ramsay being asked to play deeper will be better for him in the long run perhaps but he wasn't effective at all and could probably have been hooked at HT; but maybe it was good management not to slaughter him by doing that.  Gallagher has been good for a few games now which is pleasing to see.

Ramirez' link-up play was non-existent.  I think he's a good player, a better one than he's been showing for a few games now but it is nailed-on that right now he looks like he is just going through the motions. Routine long passes into him he is either misjudging the flight of the ball or simply trying to draw a foul.  There were numerous examples of this on Saturday where he could have controlled the ball and brought others into play but seemed content to allow himself to be second best, and the opportunities for attacks just broke down.

Much has been said (and I agree) he needs someone close to him for lay-offs etc. But do we shape our team to serve this player? Do we try to work on getting him, aged 31, to adapt to a certain style of play?  Or do we need to bring in a centre-forward who can play the way we need him to?  There's no right answer to this, it's down to the management how they want to set the team up.

I wonder if the return of Watkins to the team will see an upturn in Ramirez' performances. The introduction of McGeouch and Watkins on Saturday immediately improved the shape and performance of the team.

• Upvote 7
11 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Ferguson & Barron were excellent on Saturday, especially second half. I'm really pleased to see Barron take this chance and hope he can keep up this level.

McLennan huffs and puffs but just hasn't proved he has what it takes to be a Premier League player.  Ramsay being asked to play deeper will be better for him in the long run perhaps but he wasn't effective at all and could probably have been hooked at HT; but maybe it was good management not to slaughter him by doing that.  Gallagher has been good for a few games now which is pleasing to see.

Ramirez' link-up play was non-existent.  I think he's a good player, a better one than he's been showing for a few games now but it is nailed-on that right now he looks like he is just going through the motions. Routine long passes into him he is either misjudging the flight of the ball or simply trying to draw a foul.  There were numerous examples of this on Saturday where he could have controlled the ball and brought others into play but seemed content to allow himself to be second best, and the opportunities for attacks just broke down.

Much has been said (and I agree) he needs someone close to him for lay-offs etc. But do we shape our team to serve this player? Do we try to work on getting him, aged 31, to adapt to a certain style of play?  Or do we need to bring in a centre-forward who can play the way we need him to?  There's no right answer to this, it's down to the management how they want to set the team up.

I wonder if the return of Watkins to the team will see an upturn in Ramirez' performances. The introduction of McGeouch and Watkins on Saturday immediately improved the shape and performance of the team.

Good post min

2 hours ago, DelMonte said:

Agree with Ferguson. 

Can replace 15 goals in 40 matches surely? Even if they score less, they might offer more to the team. 

I hear what you say & hope you’re right.

Goodwin’s record at signing centre forwards for St Mirren was piss poor though, albeit I accept we’ve a bigger budget so it might make it easier. 

Main, Erwin, Obika, Morais, Brophy.

All shite & none of them score goals. 

This was a decent win, but with two penalties and a hivs red card it may be deceptive.

Agree with the praise of ferguson and barron.  Ramirez didnt have a great game, but hes still one of the better strikers we have had in recent years.

Its amazing that we have had such a woeful season, yet remain 4 points off a european place.  A good indicator of how poor the league is!

8 hours ago, DelMonte said:

When? Think I was a few weeks ago. 

Was a couple of weeks ago I think.

6 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Good post.

Hopefully Watkins can keep fit for a change and firstly help in improving the fortunes of the team and secondly helping Ramirez out of his current funk. However, you make a good point regarding his age. It's looks like its going to be difficult for him to change his game to suit the collective, so perhaps if there are offers at a suitable price then perhaps the club should consider it. But his goal input needs replacing and this is so important for the club to get right as far as recruitment goes.

5 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I hear what you say & hope you’re right.

Goodwin’s record at signing centre forwards for St Mirren was piss poor though, albeit I accept we’ve a bigger budget so it might make it easier. 

Main, Erwin, Obika, Morais, Brophy.

All shite & none of them score goals. 

Decent strikers seldom come along on the budget he would have had at St. Mirren. 

Hopefully the recruitment team have identified a suitable alternative and/or replacement for Ramirez. 

6 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

Decent strikers seldom come along on the budget he would have had at St. Mirren. 

Hopefully the recruitment team have identified a suitable alternative and/or replacement for Ramirez. 

Aye, on the wage he is allegedly on, I’d be hopeful.

A Vicente Besuijen Johnny Foreigner type striker would be different & interesting, as opposed to a lower league English replacement .

We do seem to be expanding the net now 

15 hours ago, King Street Loon said:

I think being a good finisher coupled with being a technically good player and Ramirez wouldn't be here. He'd be playing at a level above.

Personally I just think his confidence in his own game has gone and the managers are trying to play him through it as we have no other options up top.

With Glass it was both poor recruitment and tactically he lost it. Had no idea how to impose and effect a game.

Regardless, a new striker is a must in the summer to either complement, compete with or replace Ramirez. 

Let's not get carried away here

He isnt some sort of superb finisher either 

17 hours ago, The Hulk said:

True words.

McGeough criminally under used this season. A big failing was persistently playing Brown on blind faith when it clearly wasn't working.

With Considine back and bolstering up the defence, now isn't a bad time to be picking up form. Still ridiculously close to finishing in a respectful position.

Some season. 

1 minute ago, StandFree1982 said:

Just a shame we didn't bin glass earlier to give us a fighting chance of the Scottish Cup. 

As it turns out, everyone got it totally wrong with big DC. Even he wanted the cunt out in October.

Players to blame yet again for that shambles.

1 hour ago, RAZOR said:

True words.

McGeough criminally under used this season. A big failing was persistently playing Brown on blind faith when it clearly wasn't working.

With Considine back and bolstering up the defence, now isn't a bad time to be picking up form. Still ridiculously close to finishing in a respectful position.

Some season. 

Just a shame we didn't bin glass earlier to give us a fighting chance of the Scottish Cup. 

1 hour ago, RAZOR said:

True words.

Some season. 

McGeouch hasn’t been used much because whenever he’s been given game time he’s usually done fuck all. If he had anything about him , he should’ve  nailed down a starting place quite easily given the mediocrity of other players who have been picked ahead of him. I think he’s happy just to drift along , getting a game now and again picking up a decent wage. 

As far as Im concerned he doesn’t have the heart or desire to push himself to be the best he can be.  A Hibee mate told me a few years ago that their support felt that he was potentially one of their best players , but often too keen to rule himself out of contention , using injuries as an excuse.

12 minutes ago, redone said:

McGeouch hasn’t been used much because whenever he’s been given game time he’s usually done fuck all. If he had anything about him , he should’ve  nailed down a starting place quite easily given the mediocrity of other players who have been picked ahead of him. I think he’s happy just to drift along , getting a game now and again picking up a decent wage. 

As far as Im concerned he doesn’t have the heart or desire to push himself to be the best he can be.  A Hibee mate told me a few years ago that their support felt that he was potentially one of their best players , but often too keen to rule himself out of contention , using injuries as an excuse.

Have to disagree. Think there's a player in there. Used sporadically as Browns back-up. I always feel we've been at our best with him in the team.

Certainly a injury/fitness problem there but that pales in comparison to some in our squad that we've kept on the wage bill.