The Goodwin effect!

45 minutes ago, Manxsheep said:

The problem is other teams have better players than we do. And Goodwin is deluded.

I find it very hard to believe St Mirren and Livi for example have better players than us. Gallagher and Main started for St mirren today for example. We have beat both yet both sit above us in league. 

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, slippers said:

I find it very hard to believe St Mirren and Livi for example have better players than us. Gallagher and Main started for St mirren today for example. We have beat both yet both sit above us in league. 

There is a case to be made for saying that we only beat these 2 teams because they had a guy red carded in the 1st half. We were shaky against both of them until they lost a player and we scored with the resultant penalty.

Livi have beaten Hibs and Hearts, and St Mirren have beaten Hibs and Celtic. Something that we've been a fucking million miles away from doing. Pretty much everything so far points to both of them having better players and better teams than us. 

1 minute ago, Schapenneuker said:

There is a case to be made for saying that we only beat these 2 teams because they had a guy red carded in the 1st half. We were shaky against both of them until they lost a player and we scored with the resultant penalty.

Livi have beaten Hibs and Hearts, and St Mirren have beaten Hibs and Celtic. Something that we've been a fucking million miles away from doing. Pretty much everything so far points to both of them having better players and better teams than us. 

I'm biased obviously, but i don't believe they have better players. Their players may however be better than the sum of our parts.

The Dons squad's been turned over, yet we're still exhibiting the same mental fragility we did last season. Not helped by the total lack of depth have in certain areas of the pitch.

Ours is a squad constructed with a view to individual sales, not collective success.

5 minutes ago, JamieMT said:

I'm biased obviously, but i don't believe they have better players. Their players may however be better than the sum of our parts.

The Dons squad's been turned over, yet we're still exhibiting the same mental fragility we did last season. Not helped by the total lack of depth have in certain areas of the pitch.

Ours is a squad constructed with a view to individual sales, not collective success.

That's almost certainly true at this moment. 

I said it on here a few weeks ago that football management is pretty brutal for pulling the trigger these days…. But it’s always fairly obvious who’s going to be shit quite early into their reign. You are only wasting your time waiting to confirm it. Glass, mcghee, patterson… after 5-10 games it was incredibly obvious it was going to be a shambles. Here we are again 

• Upvote 3
45 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I said it on here a few weeks ago that football management is pretty brutal for pulling the trigger these days…. But it’s always fairly obvious who’s going to be shit quite early into their reign. You are only wasting your time waiting to confirm it. Glass, mcghee, patterson… after 5-10 games it was incredibly obvious it was going to be a shambles. Here we are again 

Yeah it’s already got that inevitability about it. He will probably drag it out longer as the board won’t want to look incompetent again. Cormack/Gunn/Wicks absolutely useless 

7 minutes ago, RUL said:

Yeah it’s already got that inevitability about it. He will probably drag it out longer as the board won’t want to look incompetent again. Cormack/Gunn/Wicks absolutely useless 

We need to act before Christmas if things haven't improved and not ruin another whole season. I dont think we have bad players but we look tactically terrible at times. Stewart being the biggest worry. wont keep many clean sheets after being told sorting the defence is the easy part.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Reed or deed said:

I don’t see how Mcrories was a penalty at all.

No way you should get a penalty and virtually a goal against you because the ball accidentally hits your arm. Even more so considering the ball was heading away from goal and not a scoring scenario.

totally with you on this one , never a pen . RM is looking the other . If VAR starts giving pens for incidents like that . the games a boggie

Back to the fact that the next 2 games are pretty vital for Goodwin and the club. 

A couple of wins and that should see us in 3rd or 4th place, with a sense of optimism that we're heading in the right direction. 

A couple of bad results and the feeling will grow that the team are devoid of conference and that we're heading for the same kind of freefall that we went into at the same point last season. If that happens then it's difficult to see anyway back for Goodwin.....the only thing that might save him is that Cormack could be reticent to look like an absolutely useless, hopeless cnut twice in a year. 

Let's hope it doesn't come to that. 3 points against Killie please, nae fucking aboot. 

14 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Folk falling into the same trap as last season refusing to believe teams should be above us because we have 'better players' 

It's about building a functional team, not about collecting players. 

And we've got a team of new guys who are learning to play with each other. They should improveas a team but by how much remains to be seen.

Based on results so far it seems it is quite simply just about not playing ross mccrorie in defence 

20 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Folk falling into the same trap as last season refusing to believe teams should be above us because we have 'better players' 

And we've got a team of new guys who are learning to play with each other. They should improveas a team but by how much remains to be seen.

That's true and so far the likes of Robinson, Hammill and Martindale have built teams that appear to be more functional than ours at the moment. We do have virtually a brand new team so as you say you'd hope they will improve as a unit once they get more used to each other.

What is worrying is the way Goodwin has constructed this squad he was very clear when he took the job he wanted proper competition for places in every position. We don't have that whatsoever at RB, CB or in CM. If certain players are fit they will play regardless because we have no-one else in those positions as Goodwin has put together a very unbalanced squad. It's ridiculous how short we are in defence and midfield and that's purely down to Goodwin.

10 hours ago, RUL said:

Well if they are considering it already they need to look carefully at who they want to take over and have a much better plan in place.

They need to look more closely at results rather than hiring the best talker from their interviews.

15 minutes ago, Shinniesta said:

What is worrying is the way Goodwin has constructed this squad he was very clear when he took the job he wanted proper competition for places in every position. We don't have that whatsoever at RB, CB or in CM. If certain players are fit they will play regardless because we have no-one else in those positions as Goodwin has put together a very unbalanced squad. It's ridiculous how short we are in defence and midfield and that's purely down to Goodwin.

I think we can allow him another window or two given the size of the overhaul that's taken place.

Whats worrying me more is the performances he's getting out of the team when most players are fit- it's not great and I don't see any evidence that Goodwin or Sharp really have that much about them tactically.

17 minutes ago, Shinniesta said:

That's true and so far the likes of Robinson, Hammill and Martindale have built teams that appear to be more functional than ours at the moment. We do have virtually a brand new team so as you say you'd hope they will improve as a unit once they get more used to each other.

I agree about first point but also those clubs don’t have a chairman banging on about style of football. Should just be about winning and scoring, who cares how it gets to that point. 

Your last point is also true. We did the same last season but it involved recruiting endless centre mids who were also identical to each other. This year we’ve got wide players who are all shite.

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

47 minutes ago, Shinniesta said:

Aye, two good posts there.

Seeing a poor and somewhat ruthless trend in football management these day when it's not working out. The likes of Jack Ross and Maloney being the most high profile lately in Scotland. I think it is worth sticking this out into another transfer window but how long do you let this 'new squad to gel' routine play out. A season?  Things have to improve.

8 minutes ago, RAZOR said:

Aye, two good posts there.

Seeing a poor and somewhat ruthless trend in football management these day when it's not working out. The likes of Jack Ross and Maloney being the most high profile lately in Scotland. I think it is worth sticking this out into another transfer window but how long do you let this 'new squad to gel' routine play out. A season?  Things have to improve.

I don't know that I buy it at all. 

Hearts were so bad they got relegated in 19/20, albeit with some dubiety. 

They then managed to finish 3rd comfortably the season after their promotion, with a good amount of the same players. 

A lot of that may be down to Neilson and the fact he's a very decent SPFL level manager.

But aye, things can turn around quickly for other clubs, no reason it shouldn't happen for us. 

1 hour ago, Shinniesta said:

Good post.

Goodwin was saying the right things but then decided to sign a load of forward players who were all similar in style and mostly unproven.

Look like a lopsided squad again.

1 hour ago, Shinniesta said:

I would add that for all the wingers we have, we don't have competition there either. Jonny Hayes and Besuijen aren't  going to be losing much sleep over Kennedy and Morris.  And given that Besuijen only has one assist he should be worried, but in reality there is no one he needs to worry about. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

I would add that for all the wingers we have, we don't have competition there either. Jonny Hayes and Besuijen aren't  going to be losing much sleep over Kennedy and Morris.  And given that Besuijen only has one assist he should be worried, but in reality there is no one he needs to worry about. 

Against the grain but he's been a passenger for weeks now.

14 hours ago, JamieMT said:

Goodwin gives good interview. I can imagine he sweet talked Cormack into a raging stiffy with promises of what he could achieve at the club.

And the media adore him, he's articulate and loves the mic & camera. From what i recall he was somewhat their darling once the position became available, lots of talk of him being the bright young in Scottish football management.

Never saw the appeal personally, but he's here now and i don't see him going anywhere soon. I'd love for him to do a little less talking in the press and a little more out on the park, but i see us as a mid table team under his stewardship.

Unless we're under serious threat of relegation (and we won't be) he'll retain his job beyond this season regardless of where we're sat in the table.

Willie Miller and particularly Richard Gordon couldn’t have been more effusive in their praise of Goodwin and their declaration that he was the best candidate and would do a cracking job.

1 hour ago, RAZOR said:

I agree that we're in a period where managers are being turfed with ceremony. I suspect it's got a lot to with the fact that outside the OF, literally every single side in the Premiership is at danger of relegation. 

Chairmen who's clubs have invested heavily....here's looking at you Dundee United, Hibs and to a certain extent us....can't afford relegation. hence they become trigger-happy very quickly. 

If we at any point look like we're sliding into relegation trouble, Goodwin will be oot the door sharpish.