The Goodwin effect!

1 minute ago, RUL said:

We could have changed the voting structure for one? Instead we were happy to keep things how they were.

And we could have enforced the SFA/SFL rules that meant newco were ineligible to join the senior leagues having no audited accounts for a minimum of 3 years amongst other things

Sevco should have started in the bottom rung of the West of Scotland juniors (assuming the WoS junior committee accepted their application). 

• Upvote 2

On 8/27/2022 at 7:49 PM, torry_battery_ram said:

This 100%.

Doea anyone think Manchester United fans want Manchester City and Liverpool to do well in Europe. *1Do City and Liverpool fans want United to do well in Europe.

Of course they don't.

*2Why any Aberdeen fan thinks Rangers, Celtic, Hearts or anyone else doing well in Europe is good I really don't get. It's not like Aberdeen will benefit in any way from those 3 being in their respective groups.

*1 You are asking about direct rivals. A better question would be: Do supporters of other teams want English clubs to do well in Europe? I think the answer is yes.

*2 Scottish football is a brand. When clubs from that brand do well in Europe, the profile of the brand overall increases.  

3 hours ago, Dal Riata Don said:

*1 You are asking about direct rivals. A better question would be: Do supporters of other teams want English clubs to do well in Europe? I think the answer is yes.

*2 Scottish football is a brand. When clubs from that brand do well in Europe, the profile of the brand overall increases.  

What are the material benefits to Aberdeen, though? 

I mean, Real Madrid pissing out x amount of Champions League wins hasn't made me any more interested in or likely to spend pesos on clubs like Girona or Elche.

The Scottish game is undersold by those in power, even considering we're a third rate footballing nation. Our telly deals are laughable. Certainly Sevco playing in euro finals and the Champions League will rain grotesque amounts of money down on their heads, but any tangible benefit for Aberdeen or Hibs is negligible by way of comparison. 

Certainly we might get a spot further along in the knock out phase, but we almost invariably get knocked out by the first halfway decent team we encounter, so we're still fucked six ways from Sunday. 

1 hour ago, Ke1t said:

What are the material benefits to Aberdeen, though? 

I can't show you some before and after data from a spreadsheet as I don't have any.

Also, I'm not comparing the direct financial benefits of playing in Europe to, well not playing in Europe. 

What I think is that better quality, young, foreign players will be more likely to sign for Scottish sides. When the league becomes higher profile; it in turn becomes a better shop window for them to be in.

Of course I don't know what was said between Miovski's agent and the club but I'd imagine it went along the lines of:

"His goals will get us into Europe where he will have great exposure against good opposition.... and we won't dig our heels in after two years if a decent offer is made."

This type of logic must be more persuasive than mere wishful thinking to an agent's mind when we can point to other teams in our league who have played in the later stages of European competitions. 

More high quality foreign players means greater exposure to global tv/streaming markets. 

Yes, the Old Firm take too much from this pot but, as it grows, it is better for us too.

I see Goodwin getting some stick on here for his 'handling' of the likes of Bates, Ramirez and McLennan. He inherited a squad full of dross who were rightly slated by 99.9% of supporters. He got rid of some early doors and is now clearing out the remainder. Some players, and supporters, won't like it but it had to be done. 

• Upvote 4
1 hour ago, old sheep said:

I see Goodwin getting some stick on here for his 'handling' of the likes of Bates, Ramirez and McLennan. He inherited a squad full of dross who were rightly slated by 99.9% of supporters. He got rid of some early doors and is now clearing out the remainder. Some players, and supporters, won't like it but it had to be done. 

Nail on the head 

Goodwin has actually done what was required 

we have to remember he’s not really been in the position to do this previously , yes he could have been more subtle he admits to making a mistake in telling those who weren’t in his plans too early . He obviously naively felt they would be more professional and work for him 

He is still a relatively new manager and will none learning from it , he has definitely made a change in playing style and there were a few that thought he was Mcinnes mark 2 

I am more positive than I’ve been about the dons for a long time , and yes I admit I enjoyed the early years of Mcinnes

This is realistically his first season and so far the signs are promising 

COYR 

10 hours ago, old sheep said:

Totally agree with this 

The overreacting on here by supposed grown men is a sight to behold 

Goodwin talked up Ramirez when he first came in the door, clearly things have happened between now and then to change his mind 

Draw your own conclusions but fans having a pop at the Manager for wanting rid of deadwood is a new one to me 

It’s part of football, they’re well paid and I couldn’t give a fuck if some feelings are hurt along the way 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

What is Goodwin expected to do here? 

Ask the SPFL if he can have 12 subs on the bench so as not to upset a couple of his players? 

To be fair the other night he named 8 from a possible 9 subs. 

Clearly something has went on between him and CR99.

Hence his "two sides to every story" rubbish. 

8 hours ago, Redtaz2 said:

Goodwin has actually done what was required 

we have to remember he’s not really been in the position to do this previously , yes he could have been more subtle he admits to making a mistake in telling those who weren’t in his plans too early . He obviously naively felt they would be more professional and work for him 

He is still a relatively new manager and will none learning from it , he has definitely made a change in playing style and there were a few that thought he was Mcinnes mark 2 

I am more positive than I’ve been about the dons for a long time , and yes I admit I enjoyed the early years of Mcinnes

This is realistically his first season and so far the signs are promising 

COYR 

After what looks like a good window I’m the same. We have recruited some really good players and some that are questionable but never going to get them all right. Need to start games better that is my main concern. Not performed massively well in first half hour of both St mirren and Livi while they had 11 men. 

Can't deny after bringing nobody in yesterday, but shipping Bates out (no problems with McLennan leaving) I'm concerned.

We are now down to 2/3 recognised centre halves (depending on if you view McCrorie as a CH or not) and 1 young prospect with barely any experience as the 4th option. I'd suggest if any 2 out of Stewart, Scales and McCrorie pick up injuries that keep them out simultaneously for a month or 2, we are in a bad way. If it happens to be Stewart and McCrorie (and McCrorie seems to pick up such injuries at least once a season....plus always picks up a suspension or 2 along the way) and we are due to face Celtic in the period they are out....we are in deep shit.

I can only presume our intention would be in these instances to sign an emergency player who is currently without a club. But that would mean a player who hasn't done a proper pre-season training.....and looking at who currently is available, the only one you'd really want is Hector. Who barely played for Fulham last season and who despite signing for Chelsea and never playing for them is now a multi-millionaire.and might not fancy relocating 500 miles north this time round.

Keep fingers crossed it doesn't happen. 

• Upvote 1

Ach, its a chance for Milne to stake a claim and for Mackenzie to show whether he can play at centre back or not.

Milne might do a Barron. At the turn of the year Barron was in nobody's thoughts on here, now he'd be in most people's starting eleven. 

Keeping Scales fit is critical though.  He's head and shoulders above anyone else we have at the back.  I think we only play Celtic once more between now and January so that's not much of a factor

• Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Ach, its a chance for Milne to stake a claim and for Mackenzie to show whether he can play at centre back or not.

Milne might do a Barron. At the turn of the year Barron was in nobody's thoughts on here, now he'd be in most people's starting eleven. 

Hope you're right. My feeling is Mackenzie's ship has long since sailed but we'll see.

Three or four years back a well-respected AFC youth coach who's now no longer there told me (I'm certain he's also told many others) that Frank Ross, Calvin Ramsay and Connor Barron would all make it.  He backed it up by showing data of boys that had made it before them, how they were better (can't remember the names, Scott Wright might've been one) I don't remember any others he mentioned, I don't think there were any he was so completely sure about. He was adamant these boys would make it.  Would be interesting to know the current thinking on the next ones to come through.

Frank Ross the one that got away. That boy's ability was frightening. Such fine margins.

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Frank Ross the one that got away. That boy's ability was frightening. Such fine margins.

Injuries really buggered him

Also didn't seem to get a fiar crack at the whip so to speak if memory serves me right

Still managed to pull on the famous red top which is better than any of us can say

9 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Keeping Scales fit is critical though.  He's head and shoulders above anyone else we have at the back.  I think we only play Celtic once more between now and January so that's not much of a factor

Correct min. 

This has been a very progressive transfer window for our proud club. 

I liked the fact that, whilst David Bates was sold and Connor MacLennan was loaned out, there was no panic to take in a substandard player for the sake of it who ultimately would have been no improvement at all to our existing squad.

Jim Goodwin has an aura of Alex Smith/Jocky Scott and God (when he was boss). They had exciting, exceptional teams (at times) only to be denied by fucking cheating and corruption.

Good times lie ahead......?

9 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Hope you're right. My feeling is Mackenzie's ship has long since sailed but we'll see.

Three or four years back a well-respected AFC youth coach who's now no longer there told me (I'm certain he's also told many others) that Frank Ross, Calvin Ramsay and Connor Barron would all make it.  He backed it up by showing data of boys that had made it before them, how they were better (can't remember the names, Scott Wright might've been one) I don't remember any others he mentioned, I don't think there were any he was so completely sure about. He was adamant these boys would make it.  Would be interesting to know the current thinking on the next ones to come through.

Poor bastard has been plagued with injuries. Within a few games for Go Ahead Eagles, the lad ended up with an anterior ligament injury to his knee. 

Some players, regardless of their talent which Frank Ross undoubtedly has, have no luck at all.