The Goodwin effect!

37 minutes ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

It is a matter of fact that since the late 90's, barring the Calderwood and McInnes eras, all other managers have hovered around a win rate of 1 in 3, which is absolutely abysmal for a club of our supposed size.

For me Goodwin has to be given the opportunity to shape his own team before "any toys are thrown out the pram".

However, if there is going to be a positive Goodwin effect into the medium to long term, I would expect the following minimum requirements for next season:

1) A win ratio of 40%+, with much improved clean sheets and goals scored statistics. 

2) 4th place minimum in the league, ensuring qualification for Europe. 

3) A run to at least the semi finals in one of the Cup competitions. 

Given the standard below the arse cheeks the foregoing is not too much to expect.

If Goodwin cannot come close to achieving same then there hasn't been an effect and he wouldn't be the right manager in the medium to long term.

However I do hope he succeeds albeit the ITK crew are a wee bit quiet with the sorely needed summer squad change Intel at this time.

A fairly sensible post. Glass left Goodwin a big steaming pile of poo. One of the worst squads I can remember in over 55 years of watching Aberdeen and that is saying something.

The signings of Jet and Bates alone tells you what effort went into scouting. Absolutely abhorrent signings. Never mind Samuels, Jenks, Longstaff all brought in on loan without even a hint of a player about them. 

Players have just finished the season the vast majority will be on holiday with families ahead of preseason training. Those looking for clubs will be kept abreast by agents who may be able to do some deals on their behalf however the club will ultimately need to do medicals etc. 

I would also suggest that the lack of info is a good thing. Too much shit was getting leaked out of Pittodrie - hence why someone was banned. 

Goodwin didn't come in till after the January window so he wouldn't immediately have a dossier on what is required at Aberdeen but I'm sure he has a clear idea of what is required now. Signings will come in time. 

I'm keeping the faith. 

• Haha 1

If the reporting is to be believed 

he has potentially thrown the recruitment team , DOF under the bus 

he identified his signings a while ago , now obviously if he doesn’t get them he is blameless 

he certainly won’t want to be tarnished with another transfer window debacle 

Deals fall apart because our perfect targets get better offers from English clubs who live in a world of debt that never needs paid off. Who get close to going bust and then a sugar daddy steps in and starts the whole thing again. We have a few clubs in Scotland too who have the same philosophy incidentally they finished 2nd and 3rd.

22 minutes ago, Redtaz2 said:

If the reporting is to be believed 

he has potentially thrown the recruitment team , DOF under the bus 

he identified his signings a while ago , now obviously if he doesn’t get them he is blameless 

he certainly won’t want to be tarnished with another transfer window debacle 

Anyone else a wee bit concerned at Sean (sp) Rooneys post match interview last night.  “See what happens” kind of a sign off.  Could do worse, in fact we have, frequently, but Jesus.

2 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Anyone else a wee bit concerned at Sean (sp) Rooneys post match interview last night.  “See what happens” kind of a sign off.  Could do worse, in fact we have, frequently, but Jesus.

As it stands he’s an improvement over the fact we don’t have any right backs bar the one we are trying to sell.

17 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Is Goodwin involved in the actual contractual negotiations? Or is that Gunn's job? Wouldn't be surprised to hear that's the stage everything falls apart for us trying to sign players

Lets pray he's not involved. Heard from someone close to one of the players that has recently left that Goodwin hates living in Aberdeen, not exactly going to be able to sell the dream of moving to the North East to players if he hates being here himself.

7 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Lets pray he's not involved. Heard from someone close to one of the players that has recently left that Goodwin hates living in Aberdeen, not exactly going to be able to sell the dream of moving to the North East to players if he hates being here himself.

I've heard from several posters on here that Zeroisgod76 is retarded

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
10 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

There’s no way Goodwin would admit that to an exiting player.

3 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Aberdeen is a total dump at the moment to be fair to him.

Even the St Mirren fans were singing Aberdeens a shithole I want to go home the other week. Bad times when your city is in worse nick than Paisley ffs. 

It's not though is it, not even close

36 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Is Goodwin involved in the actual contractual negotiations? Or is that Gunn's job? Wouldn't be surprised to hear that's the stage everything falls apart for us trying to sign players

Goodwin surely isn’t involved in the contract negotiations for new players. If he is, why do we employ a DoF?

Its Goodwin’s job to either directly identify a player, or tell his head of recruitment the profile of the player he wants; attributes etc etc .

Once that’s done, it’s down to Gunn to go and get option A, or B or C

24 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

That's his problem if he doesn't like Aberdeen, best for all parties if he just went back to weegieland then. Anyway, what does Glasgow have that Aberdeen doesn't? Both cities not the prettiest on the eye and got zero culture, least Aberdeens got easy access to the coast and countryside. Fair enough if it was Edinburgh he was coming from.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Goodwin surely isn’t involved in the contract negotiations for new players. If he is, why do we employ a DoF?

Its Goodwin’s job to either directly identify a player, or tell his head of recruitment the profile of the player he wants; attributes etc etc .

Once that’s done, it’s down to Gunn to go and get option A, or B or C

I would have to disagree. He will definitely be involved as its his playing budget that is getting used. They all work together in partnership.

Goodwin along with Mowbray and the recruitment team work together on a identifying the targets.

All 3 (Goodwin, Mowbray and and Gunn) have to jointly make a pitch to the player and representatives that moving to Aberdeen is a good option. And he will work with Gunn to decide what contract is offered to the player.

He cant just say i want player A and that's his involvement over. What happens if Gunn offers Player A a huge contract and says i got your man ….but that's your budget gone so that's us done for the summer. I'm away off on my hols. 

Obviously I'm exaggerating with that but just pointing out that JG will absolutely be involved as its up to him to make the most of the budget and get the best players possible at the lowest price so he can get more players and more value for money. The Considine contract was the perfect example of this as JG decided not to renegotiate when the offer was turned down as he didn't feel like it would be good value for money and felt he could use the money better.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Studebaker-90 said:

Piss off then. Who are you to dictate the speech of others. Don’t like it? You know what to do. 

So your all for freedom of speech and think people should be able to do and say what they want?

Yet you want a footballer punished for going to watch another team? Fucking hyocrite.

• Upvote 7
1 minute ago, zeroisgod76 said:

So your all for freedom of speech and think people should be able to do and say what they want?

Yet you want a footballer punished for going to watch another team? Fucking hyocrite.

There is no reason or logic when it comes to the huns. It’s pure hatred driven by emotion. Join in. 

• Upvote 4
1 hour ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Only fair to give him the option of tearing up his contract then.

5 hours ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

I would have to disagree. He will definitely be involved as its his playing budget that is getting used. They all work together in partnership.

Goodwin along with Mowbray and the recruitment team work together on a identifying the targets.

All 3 (Goodwin, Mowbray and and Gunn) have to jointly make a pitch to the player and representatives that moving to Aberdeen is a good option. And he will work with Gunn to decide what contract is offered to the player.

He cant just say i want player A and that's his involvement over. What happens if Gunn offers Player A a huge contract and says i got your man ….but that's your budget gone so that's us done for the summer. I'm away off on my hols. 

Obviously I'm exaggerating with that but just pointing out that JG will absolutely be involved as its up to him to make the most of the budget and get the best players possible at the lowest price so he can get more players and more value for money. The Considine contract was the perfect example of this as JG decided not to renegotiate when the offer was turned down as he didn't feel like it would be good value for money and felt he could use the money better.

Fair enough. 

Does beg the question though, what is Gunn’s remit? Previously, he was doing player registrations, logistics involved in European games etc. If Goodwin is as heavily involved in the prawcess as you say, then I’d say Gunn’s job has reverted to its previous description.

5 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Fair enough. 

Does beg the question though, what is Gunn’s remit? Previously, he was doing player registrations, logistics involved in European games etc. If Goodwin is as heavily involved in the prawcess as you say, then I’d say Gunn’s job has reverted to its previous description.

I’ve been critical of Gunn as much as most but he’s done a lot of stuff that’s went unnoticed. He’s the 1 that has the relationships with agents and negotiates long term contracts for some of our key players. Their was a time not so long ago we couldn’t get any of our key players signed to decent deals.

5 hours ago, Dave Bus said:

That's his problem if he doesn't like Aberdeen, best for all parties if he just went back to weegieland then. Anyway, what does Glasgow have that Aberdeen doesn't? Both cities not the prettiest on the eye and got zero culture, least Aberdeens got easy access to the coast and countryside. Fair enough if it was Edinburgh he was coming from.

So Aberdeens best selling point, in your eyes, is the routes out of it?

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Of course you have...