The Goodwin effect!

16 minutes ago, slippers said:

Definitely should get his chance next season. But doesn’t deserve a free pass for 15 odd games is my only point. 

No he shouldn't get a free pass. 

But neither should Glass have had a free pass. Plenty of folk said he couldn't be judged on last season's results as it wasn't his team.

Difference was that Glass inherited a situation where the club were guaranteed top half so wasn't under any real pressure. 

1 hour ago, Harry's Double Shuffle said:

No free pass. Go down he's out. Stay up via play off he's out. Stay up via enough points to avoid play off, ok give him 6 games. Thats my tuppence worth. Sick of these chancers.

What’s the fucking point in that? Lose more money paying him off on top of the financial implications of being relegated. Chump. 

didnt he start in a similar fashion at Sts,  I think it was about 7 games with 0 wins then he took them up the table did some shrewd business in the transfer market and became the talk of town so to speak,  so hopefully with a bigger budget and that experience behind him he will take us up ot 3rd and a wee run in Europe domestic cup finals ect, Or we get relegated then promoted or we survive by being slightly less shite than st J and Dundee and a season of highs and lows commences , Not sure where I am going with this I had my first smoke of weed in years tonight and im fair spraffin , Dont know how the youth of today can smoke this skunk shit ....

Is their a new Rick n Morty oot yet

• Haha 3
4 hours ago, Harry's Double Shuffle said:

No free pass. Go down he's out. Stay up via play off he's out. Stay up via enough points to avoid play off, ok give him 6 games. Thats my tuppence worth. Sick of these chancers.

6 games from when? There are only 4 games left (Barring a play-off).

4 games this season then 2 games at the start of next season? 

Or 6 games from the start of next season? 

And how does a rebuilt team gel in 6 games, under a new manager, using presumably unfamiliar tactics? 

Unless, like Glass, Goodwin is a complete fraud, it might be contingent upon the club to see how he's doing mid season. 

6 hours ago, KidCreole said:

didnt he start in a similar fashion at Sts,  I think it was about 7 games with 0 wins then he took them up the table did some shrewd business in the transfer market and became the talk of town so to speak,  so hopefully with a bigger budget and that experience behind him he will take us up ot 3rd and a wee run in Europe domestic cup finals ect, Or we get relegated then promoted or we survive by being slightly less shite than st J and Dundee and a season of highs and lows commences , Not sure where I am going with this I had my first smoke of weed in years tonight and im fair spraffin , Dont know how the youth of today can smoke this skunk shit ....

Is their a new Rick n Morty oot yet

I didn’t really follow him before he came but seemingly this season they were absolutely shite but went on a great run just before our job came up.

A few st mirren fans I notice have mentioned they had similar poor runs previously that saw glass sacked. 

hoping we didn’t just look at st mirren being 6th and were aware of these runs previously.

2 hours ago, RUL said:

I didn’t really follow him before he came but seemingly this season they were absolutely shite but went on a great run just before our job came up.

A few st mirren fans I notice have mentioned they had similar poor runs previously that saw glass sacked. 

hoping we didn’t just look at st mirren being 6th and were aware of these runs previously.

3 wins in their first 20 league matches this season followed by a purple match around January and following Goodwin's departure it has been back to mediocrity.

15 hours ago, KidCreole said:

Should we get relegated will the board give Goodwin a season in the championship to prove himself or does relegation mean a new manager,

I personally cant see Cormack admitting he has made another shockingly bad choice and he will stick with Jim and allow him to build a squad, although fuck knows what player of any calibre is going to want to join us down in the Championship  , Grim times girls the outlook is bleak 

If we get relegated out of what's been the worst league in living memory we should just fold the club

17 hours ago, KidCreole said:

Should we get relegated will the board give Goodwin a season in the championship to prove himself or does relegation mean a new manager,

I personally cant see Cormack admitting he has made another shockingly bad choice and he will stick with Jim and allow him to build a squad, although fuck knows what player of any calibre is going to want to join us down in the Championship  , Grim times girls the outlook is bleak 

We're currently 5 points off a play off place with a vastly superior goal difference and only 4 games left to play. Forget relegation, if he even ends up dragging us into a playoff he should be out the door.... and he should be gone before any play off takes place.

If he's that bad a manager that he gets us into a position where we even have a chance of relegation then i'd not trust him to be able to get us through any play off.

Finish 10th or better and he'll get the benefit of the doubt for the start of next season.

10 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

If we go down, Goodwin is out the door. No questions. Even if we survive a play off, I’d say he still goes.

Either way, he’s a man under pressure and the next 4 games are massive for him. Not at all what I was expecting from him.

100% agree. Goodwin must realise his job is on the line. Just look at Maloney for reality 

3 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

100% agree. Goodwin must realise his job is on the line. Just look at Maloney for reality 

Hibs are about to appoint the 19th manager since Alex Miller left. Most of whom haven't survived more than 18 months

We just can't start going down that route too. Constantly paying managers off impacts on the playing budget. Now Goodwin wasn't my choice for the job but the squad he inherited is both shit and massively unbalanced. And he was unable to make any changes to it. I think he was naive to tell players going out of contract that they wouldn't be getting a new one before we had guaranteed our SPL safety but nevertheless he deserves the chance to bring in his own players in the summer. Even if we go down (I think it's unlikely but more because St J, St M and Dundee are all at least equally as bad as us and won't all be able to overhaul us). If we are still battling relegation in the latter stages of next season then his position is likely untenable. But I'm afraid the rebuild he needs to undertake is so big that I don't think our expectations should be much more than mid table mediocrity either. Anything better than that would be a bonus.

• Upvote 2
30 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Hibs are about to appoint the 19th manager since Alex Miller left. Most of whom haven't survived more than 18 months

We just can't start going down that route too. Constantly paying managers off impacts on the playing budget. Now Goodwin wasn't my choice for the job but the squad he inherited is both shit and massively unbalanced. And he was unable to make any changes to it. I think he was naive to tell players going out of contract that they wouldn't be getting a new one before we had guaranteed our SPL safety but nevertheless he deserves the chance to bring in his own players in the summer. Even if we go down (I think it's unlikely but more because St J, St M and Dundee are all at least equally as bad as us and won't all be able to overhaul us). If we are still battling relegation in the latter stages of next season then his position is likely untenable. But I'm afraid the rebuild he needs to undertake is so big that I don't think our expectations should be much more than mid table mediocrity either. Anything better than that would be a bonus.

The reality is St J, St M and Dundee have at least the “right “ players for a relegation scrap. We do not!

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

There has been more than a few worrying Goodwin comments and actions, even thus far:-

He COULD have brought in a free agent in February, but chose not to. Because he thought he had enough in the tank to see out the season? That's went well.

Then, saying he would sort out the defence in a week. Holy shit.....

The handling of the Considine affair.

Publically binning players way before the end of the season.

Turning up at that Beach Ballroom fans event, an hour or 2 before kick off.

A half decent manager manages to make a silk purse out of a pig's ear, and have us easily in the top 6. Then he bins the vast majority in the summer and brings his own men in.

I was 100% in the Goodwin camp on appointment - not for the 1st time, I'm questioning my own judgement!

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

The standard in this league is abysmal. A good manager with our budget should be able to easily achieve top 6 next season and we should be aiming for European qualification and at least semi finals of the cups. Hearts may progress further given the fact they've had a good season and assembled a decent squad and will take in money from Europe etc - but other than that everyone else isn't going to be making great strides. 

For what it's worth (which isn't much) I think we'll survive by the skin of our teeth this season - we'll maybe get another 3 points before the end of the season and that'll be enough. Next season I think we will be better (which would not be hard) and everyone else will be similar to how they are this season. Most clubs in the league yo-yo around from one season to another, hardly any improve year on year or even show any kind of consistency with previous seasons.

1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

There has been more than a few worrying Goodwin comments and actions, even thus far:-

He COULD have brought in a free agent in February, but chose not to. Because he thought he had enough in the tank to see out the season? That's went well.

Then, saying he would sort out the defence in a week. Holy shit.....

The handling of the Considine affair.

Publically binning players way before the end of the season.

Turning up at that Beach Ballroom fans event, an hour or 2 before kick off.

A half decent manager manages to make a silk purse out of a pig's ear, and have us easily in the top 6. Then he bins the vast majority in the summer and brings his own men in.

I was 100% in the Goodwin camp on appointment - not for the 1st time, I'm questioning my own judgement!

What free agent(s) would you champion that were both (a) fit and (b) of a standard to improve us?

Defence since Goodwin has come in has mainly conceded due to individual errors, something you can't coach out of a player.

Considine was leaked by the players camp. I have absolutely no issues with the club/manager having their say.

Brown didn't want to be here - GTF. Jet, waste of a wage, unfit and unprofessional and another shit Glass signing, Devlin, never played. The rest is speculation about if they've been freed or not 

Beach Ballroom. The squad work all week on tactics and formation, two hours prior to kick off they'll be relaxing or pre match meal. Not getting instructions on how to play. 

Goodwin inherited the biggest shit show squad AFC have assembled in a long time with absolutely no balance or depth. I'll settle for SPL safety this year and hope for a good recruitment drive. Of course I'm not happy with the current situation but thankfully the decision to bin Glass came eventually, sadly 3 months too late. Lot's of people gave Glass time and some were still championing him for another window. Goodwin deserves at least the same goodwill.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

What free agent(s) would you champion that were both (a) fit and (b) of a standard to improve us?

Defence since Goodwin has come in has mainly conceded due to individual errors, something you can't coach out of a player.

Considine was leaked by the players camp. I have absolutely no issues with the club/manager having their say.

Brown didn't want to be here - GTF. Jet, waste if a wage, unfit and unprofessional and another shit Glass signing, Devlin, never played. The rest us speculation about if they're free or not 

Beach Ballroom. The squad work all week on tactics and formation, two hours prior to kick off they'll be relaxing or pre match meal. Not getting instructions on how to play. 

Goodwin inherited the biggest shit show squad AFC have assembled in a long time with absolutely no balance or depth. I'll settle of SPL safety this year and hope for a good recruitment drive. Of course I'm not happy with the current situation but thankfully the decision to bin Glass came eventually, sadly 3 months too late. Lot's if people gave Glass time and some were still championing him for another window. Goodwin deserves at least the same goodwill.

Goodwin isn't a good manager though, he's not better than Glass and has done nothing in his managerial career to suggest he will improve us next season.

Glass had to go unquestionably. Goodwin was not the correct choice to replace him.

3 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Goodwin isn't a good manager though, he's not better than Glass and has done nothing in his managerial career to suggest he will improve us next season.

Glass had to go unquestionably. Goodwin was not the correct choice to replace him.

Time will tell. I suspect Goodwin will be far superior to Glass once he gets his own players. 

36 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

No idea. I don't have access to wyscout, or talk to agents etc, but there must have been player(s) out there - a striker maybe - who could have done a job short term for him.

That's his job. To coach.

Maybe but why did Goodwin tell the press all the financial gory details?

Brown didn't want to be here - GTF. Jet, waste of a wage, unfit and unprofessional and another shit Glass signing, Devlin, never played. The rest is speculation about if they've been freed or not 

Think we all know he's told Ojo, McGeough etc etc that they won't be here next season

LOL. Imagine Fergie doing that back in the day. Speaking to punters in the Pittodrie Bar. The time for that is AFTER the game.

Goodwin inherited the biggest shit show squad AFC have assembled in a long time with absolutely no balance or depth. I'll settle for SPL safety this year and hope for a good recruitment drive. Of course I'm not happy with the current situation but thankfully the decision to bin Glass came eventually, sadly 3 months too late. Lot's of people gave Glass time and some were still championing him for another window. Goodwin deserves at least the same goodwill.

Agree with that. Its what we all want; a succesful Aberdeen with him at the helm. I'm just pointing out red flags which seem to be appearing with alarming regularity.

• Like 1