Pape Habib Guèye

17 minutes ago, minijc said:

Norwegian league isn't that much different to our league, could argue that in European competition Norwegian sides do considerably better, consistently compared to Scottish teams.

Tend to agree. Internationally, records are also similar of the last decade or so.

Spent quite a bit of time working in Norway and they near enough have their games playing on a loop on TV.  Similar standard I'd say.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, minijc said:

Norwegian league isn't that much different to our league, could argue that in European competition Norwegian sides do considerably better, consistently compared to Scottish teams.

In Europe perhaps Rosenburg and Molde are worth a mention but compared to our ugly 2 there is no comparison. 

Just now, Johnnyred1 said:

In Europe perhaps Rosenburg and Molde are worth a mention but compared to our ugly 2 there is no comparison. 

Two teams don't quantify the standard of a league, if anything the Norwegian league will be more competitive across the board due to the fact they don't have those two bastards dominating things.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, minijc said:

Two teams don't quantify the standard of a league, if anything the Norwegian league will be more competitive across the board due to the fact they don't have those two bastards dominating things.

Well, maybe

But Gueye just scored in his first game for a team there

He looked like a competition winner for us

43 minutes ago, Johnnyred1 said:

And that’s not including Bodo Glimt who’ve done a few teams the last few years. 

not much of a different standard between the leagues on average I’d say. If Scottish football is stronger, it’s not by much 

14 minutes ago, Johnnyred1 said:

Agreed but they make a huge difference to the coefficient due to their contribution. We didn't too badly in Europe this season for where we are.

They do, so it could be argued that without those two here it wouldn't be as good, Bodo hammered Celtic as well remember and I doubt none of the team over there have the budget those two possess. 

13 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Well, maybe

But Gueye just scored in his first game for a team there

He looked like a competition winner for us

Not the right way to look at it, players take time to adapt for whatever reason, he might turn out to be shit even after a good loan move, his loan might turn to shit but he comes back here and does well.

I just don't think it's right to judge a player off of 135mins, I also don't agree with "x player was shit here but does ok there so the standard must be much worse" it's a lazy argument.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, slippers said:

When does he return to us? Is he back in summer or is he with them till the end of their season? 

Edit: see he’s back in July. Hope he does well. Even if it means we can recoup a bit of the money spent on him. 

I’ve no idea why, but I’ve got a wee bit more hope for him than I do Sokler. 
Based on zero evidence, just a hunch. 

It’ll probably turn out that neither are good enough though.

A Miovski sized hole in the team will take a lot of luck on the recruitment side. 
We’re having to replace our best striker in 30 years. 

4 minutes ago, Simply Red said:

I think Sokler will move on which is a pity cos i think he could do a job for us. 

Agreed , i think though its difficult for any striker at the club at the moment due to the great form of Miovski.  The only way Sokler would get a good run in the team is god forbid Miovski gets injured or suspended for a few games.  I believe Gueye and Sokler could do a job but the team needs to create more too 

5 minutes ago, Simply Red said:

I think Sokler will move on which is a pity cos i think he could do a job for us. 

Hmmmm not so sure he could do a job.

i know he’s had limited opportunities but i think he’s a headless chicken & doesn’t have much game intelligence

Maybe the headless chicken thing is him overly keen to impress with the limited time he gets. 

But I’m far from convinced. 
I wouldn’t want him as our starting no9 next season. 

• Upvote 2

Not giving up quite yet on Gueye or Sokler.

I think it's a good move loaning Gueye to Norway where he obviously scored a lot of goals. If he could score 5-10 goals April to June he'll certainly get a second run.

Sokler will get plenty chances yet as its almost a certainty Miovski and Duk will go this summer.

Edit.... but main signing this summer will be record transfer for a new number 9

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, davierobb said:

Sokler will thrive when Mioviski moves on. Both too similar.

Boys gonna get slaughtered for not being as good as Miovski. Good luck to the kid, he’s looked like he has a bit of potential whenever he’s had a chance.

2 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I’ve no idea why, but I’ve got a wee bit more hope for him than I do Sokler. 
Based on zero evidence, just a hunch. 

It’ll probably turn out that neither are good enough though.

A Miovski sized hole in the team will take a lot of luck on the recruitment side. 
We’re having to replace our best striker in 30 years. 

Soklers looked good in spells and has scored a few goals - Frankfurt at home was a peach. Think he’d do ok with a run in the side.

In every appearance so far Gueye has looked like he’s never seen a football before….

• Upvote 3
9 hours ago, NEM said:

Soklers looked good in spells and has scored a few goals - Frankfurt at home was a peach. Think he’d do ok with a run in the side.

In every appearance so far Gueye has looked like he’s never seen a football before….

Anyone that has seen Gueye in the flesh and hasn’t fully written him off gets my respect for being so open minded.

• Haha 5
13 hours ago, NEM said:

Sokler’s scored 2 goals for us in competitive games….if you can call the Frankfurt game competitive.  Agreed it was a peach of a finish.
The other was another good finish , but against Ross County whose main central defender had been sent off early in the game.

I’m not totally writing him off because,  as you say , a longer run in the side might be the making of him.  But so far he’s done little to suggest he’s going to be anything more than another in the list of mediocre strikers we’ve had in recent years.

2 hours ago, Broken_Glass said:

Sokler needs a run. He's shown glimpses of what he's capable of. Give him some time before writing him off. We are a hard audience at times.....

23 goal top scorer next year. 

We are fucking unbelievable when it comes to giving players time. They get none.