January Transfer Window šŸ˜‚

Toondon

We tend to do our business quite late in the January window, so i'm not reading too much into the deafening transfer silence. But it makes sense incomings are contingent upon outgoings.

The squad and wage bill are on the large side and a significant number of our players are passengers, either because they're not good enough or Robson simply won't play them.

That said ... last season is the only Cormack era Dons, January window i can think of where we came out stronger. And that was more luck than design. Had we not endured the Hearts/Darvel/Hibs disasters, Goodwin would have remained in charge, Stewart remained as Captain and i'm not sure we'd have brought in MacDonald and/or Pollock.

• Downvote 1
6 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Any players coming in have to be first 11 picks, even if they are on loan; no more Markanday or whatever his name was, or Alan Tateā€™s, or Jeff Morikanaā€™s

Was he not pitched as being a real coup? I've got it in my head he was and then barely featured.

Always feel it's a massive roll of the dice loaning players from down south. You hear who their parent club are and get excited, but they're almost always playing League Two or National League a couple of seasons later.

Pains me to say it, but you typically (but not always) get a better quality of loan player from Celtic or Sevco. The downside to which is they can't play against their parent club and you run the risk of developing them for whichever cheek they've been loaned from.

2 hours ago, Kiriakov33 said:

If we end up making no signings, it could possibly show that that the FMB Ā have lost faith in the Manager. Ā It wouldnā€™t surprise me in the least if we are looking for a new manager in February.. Ā again. Ā 

Nah it's quality over quantity is the new way.Ā 

35 minutes ago, JamieMT said:

Was he not pitched as being a real coup? I've got it in my head he was and then barely featured.

Always feel it's a massive roll of the dice loaning players from down south. You hear who their parent club are and get excited, but they're almost always playing League Two or National League a couple of seasons later.

Pains me to say it, but you typically (but not always) get a better quality of loan player from Celtic or Sevco. The downside to which is they can't play against their parent club and you run the risk of developing them for whichever cheek they've been loaned from.

For every Christie loaned by Celtic or Sevco there is a Montgomery. Genuinely not sure how you came to that conclusion that they ā€˜more often than notā€™ have better loan players. Give examples please because McCrorie, Scales etc. certainly werenā€™t much if any better than a lot of shite weā€™ve loaned in

13 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

For every Christie loaned by Celtic or Sevco there is a Montgomery. Genuinely not sure how you came to that conclusion that they ā€˜more often than notā€™ have better loan players. Give examples please because McCrorie, Scales etc. certainly werenā€™t much if any better than a lot of shite weā€™ve loaned in

McCrorie was a fantastic player for us. Consistent performer despite being asked to perform multiple roles and when he left, he moved on for a healthy profit.

Scales was poor for the first half of last season and i'd have been happy to see him return to Celtic in January, but over the second half of the season he was outstanding, as were MacDonald & Pollock. Those performances (and a little luck with Celtic injuries) have seen him become a mainstay of the Celtic team this season.

Montgomery was poor, but other than that the last Tim/Hun loan signing i can recall being shite was Andrius Velicka.

I'll put it a different way. EPL clubs are huge and cast their net far and wide. They take in anyone with even a whisper of talent, the vast majority of whom will never play at anywhere close to that level. Inevitably they're playing lower league football a season or so later.

The Glasgow teams are big fish in a small pond. Their fringe/young players, though not considered good enough for them, are typically more than good enough to stake a claim at any of the other ten top flight sides.

Additionally because the Glasgow clubs are smaller than the English giants, it's easier to gauge the quality of the players they're loaning out because they've been a lot closer to the first team and/or been sourced from another Scottish club where they've featured prominently.

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Iā€™d not be arsed if we signed no one. This squad is good enough if the manager actually plays players in a system that suits them.

I kind of agree but realistically we're a winger and a midfielder short.Ā 

2 loans I think.Ā 

36 minutes ago, JamieMT said:

McCrorie was a fantastic player for us. Consistent performer despite being asked to perform multiple roles and when he left, he moved on for a healthy profit.

Scales was poor for the first half of last season and i'd have been happy to see him return to Celtic in January, but over the second half of the season he was outstanding, as were MacDonald & Pollock. Those performances (and a little luck with Celtic injuries) have seen him become a mainstay of the Celtic team this season.

Montgomery was poor, but other than that the last Tim/Hun loan signing i can recall being shite was Andrius Velicka.

Didnā€™t realise we loaned MacDonald & Pollock from the arse cheeks.Ā 
Ā 

Even if you want to include McCrorie & Scales in with Christie as ā€˜more often than not better than loans from elsewhereā€™ I think itā€™s a massively exaggerated sentiment in general as weā€™ve had some great loans ā€˜from elsewhereā€™ the easily surpassed the likes of Scales/McCrorie.Ā 
Ward, Logan, Maddison, Hector to name just a few. Hell even likes of Church was arguably better than those two as he came in & continued Rooneys goal scoring ratio in his injury absence.Ā 
Ā 

I just think your claim is a bit of an exaggeration to say least as Christie (imo) was ONLY real decent player we loaned from either & that massively & predictably (quite frankly) bit us on the arse as all we did was develop him for them to play then sell on.

5 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Didnā€™t realise we loaned MacDonald & Pollock from the arse cheeks.Ā 
Ā 

Even if you want to include McCrorie & Scales in with Christie as ā€˜more often than not better than loans from elsewhereā€™ I think itā€™s a massively exaggerated sentiment in general as weā€™ve had some great loans ā€˜from elsewhereā€™ the easily surpassed the likes of Scales/McCrorie.Ā 
Ward, Logan, Maddison, Hector to name just a few. Hell even likes of Church was arguably better than those two as he came in & continued Rooneys goal scoring ratio in his injury absence.Ā 
Ā 

I just think your claim is a bit of an exaggeration to say least as Christie (imo) was ONLY real decent player we loaned from either & that massively & predictably (quite frankly) bit us on the arse as all we did was develop him for them to play then sell on.

I never said we loaned MacDonald or Pollock from them. Just gave them credit for what they added to the defence alongside Scales over the second half of the season. Disagree with me by all means, it's only an opinion. You don't have to deliberately take what i've said out of context to counter it.

Burrows said that we will definitely be looking to do business in January window.

He said that at a club like Aberdeen that you should always be looking to do business in every window and if you are not that you are being negligent in the running of your football club as you should always be looking to strengthen in every window.

So you can be certain that we are working on things and we are trying. Could be the last week before things start to hot up and deals start to happen.

• Upvote 2
28 minutes ago, JamieMT said:

I never said we loaned MacDonald or Pollock from them. Just gave them credit for what they added to the defence alongside Scales over the second half of the season. Disagree with me by all means, it's only an opinion. You don't have to deliberately take what i've said out of context to counter it.

But even ignoring the MacDonald/Pollock bit. I gave you more examples of non arse cheeky loan success stories than arse cheek success stories šŸ¤· I just think your claim/opinion is way off as even if we include Scales/McCrorie we only have 3 at best to compare to numerous non arse cheek loan successes. So not sure where youā€™re basing your belief on šŸ¤·

1 minute ago, fine-n-dandy said:

But even ignoring the MacDonald/Pollock bit. I gave you more examples of non arse cheeky loan success stories than arse cheek success stories šŸ¤· I just think your claim/opinion is way off as even if we include Scales/McCrorie we only have 3 at best to compare to numerous non arse cheek loan successes. So not sure where youā€™re basing your belief on šŸ¤·

We've loaned significantly more players from down south than we have up here. If you look at it as a percentage, i'd say we've had more duds loaned in from England than Scotland.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, JamieMT said:

We've loaned significantly more players from down south than we have up here. If you look at it as a percentage, i'd say we've had more duds loaned in from England than Scotland.

Still think is a massive misjudgement to claim our loans from them are anything other than damaging to us. In so many ways. Even the most ā€˜successfulā€™ one Christie was more beneficial to them than us.

Ā 

Any chat bigging up loans from the arse cheeks needs treated with all the derision it deserves & should never be encouraged to happen EVER EVER EVER AGAIN

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Still think is a massive misjudgement to claim our loans from them are anything other than damaging to us. In so many ways. Even the most ā€˜successfulā€™ one Christie was more beneficial to them than us.

Ā 

Any chat bigging up loans from the arse cheeks needs treated with all the derision it deserves & should never be encouraged to happen EVER EVER EVER AGAIN

Now here we're closer to agreement. For all that i believe you're getting a known quantity and better player from the cheeks, i'm firmly opposed to developing a player for them. Loan to buy as it was with McCrorie or not at all.Ā 

2 hours ago, DelMonte said:

Iā€™d not be arsed if we signed no one. This squad is good enough if the manager actually plays players in a system that suits them.

Agreed, a winger and a DM would be nice but thereā€™s no point signing someone like Myslovic to appease the fans for 10 minutes until it becomes evident theyā€™re absolute horseshit

A competent manager gets 3rd with our squad pretty easily imo

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

Burrows said that we will definitely be looking to do business in January window.

He said that at a club like Aberdeen that you should always be looking to do business in every window and if you are not that you are being negligent in the running of your football club as you should always be looking to strengthen in every window.

That fat idiot says too muchĀ 

3 hours ago, Willo flood said:

Agreed, a winger and a DM would be nice but thereā€™s no point signing someone like Myslovic to appease the fans for 10 minutes until it becomes evident theyā€™re absolute horseshit

A competent manager gets 3rd with our squad pretty easily imo

Agreed as Robson showed last season how even an absolutely shite manager can achieve it with just a bit of luck/other sideā€™s spectacular collapses.

Ā 

• Haha 3
12 hours ago, CCB III said:

I kind of agree but realistically we're a winger and a midfielder short.Ā 

2 loans I think.Ā 

Maybe. I just wouldnā€™t go panic buying when I think this squad is more than enough to achieve what we should be achieving.Ā 

• Haha 2