Next Manager

10 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

We should be aiming to have at least two youth players push their way into the squad/starting 11 every year. We need to try and show a clear path for the younger players. I appreciate that the truly exceptional ones will still be picked off by the "bigger" clubs but we need more quality home grown players coming through to limit the amount we need to splash out. 

Ferguson and Ramsay should be roll models for us, develop, sell on and use them as examples to get youth in and developed.

Duncan is he good enough?

Mackenzie and Barron are decent enough. Milne I've not seen enough of. Are there any others who could step up next year? 

Ferguson came to us from the very successful youth programme at Hamilton. We cannot claim success for him through our youth system. At the moment our youth players have to go from the youth set up to the first team often via loan deals. I think the club has been very shortsighted not being involved in the reserve youth league. 

51 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

It’s down to Cormack and the FMB to end this debate. 

Fact is we had a team in Europe and thereabouts for cup finals for years. Attendances up and revenue up. 

Cormack sacked the man in charge and brought in his own appointments. 

the guy he sacked took over a team who sacked their manager in the championship and in a couple of years has built a team better than the one that cost us millions. 

of course this debate will happen. We all hope it will end next season and on

I liked may/forrester method. Spend money, then release. Good approach

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

I liked may/forrester method. Spend money, then release. Good approach

You aren’t always going to get it right. Forrester was a disaster. 

thought May would have been a great signing but in the end didn’t work out. Still, cost less than Guèye and played 75 times. Contributed and assisted others. 

May was practically a bargain compared to Richardson, Morris and the gang 

58 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

I'm firmly in the camp that we'd be far stronger under McInnes.

I blame our whole shambolic situation on Cormack and his Glass appointment. We have moved on from McInnes but we've never replaced his ability to manage and make us hard to beat and that blame lies squarely at the door of one man.

By all means Mr Chairman have your own ideas but ensure you know what you're doing and getting. I blindly payed for my season ticket under Goodwin and Robson. This year it will fully depend on who we appoint. I may even hang off until I see a couple of signings before I renew. 

If it looks like the same old pish I can see me staying away for good. Winter football is getting too cold for me as it is. The joys of old age.

I sympathise and agree with you on the winter football and old age!!

l have had a season ticket for many years and like you renew when information comes out. I think this season l will be more inclined to wait to see what develops on the manger and new signings. I also hope after the way this season has gone they will not have the nerve to increase season ticket costs. We also seem to go with a smaller squad and pay higher wages. That would be ok if the players you bring in are successful. At the moment we have certain players on contracts who are not regulars in the team. They will be in no hurry to move on.

4 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Even at our worst we were decent. 

You need to rebuild at a club like Aberdeen and he did it very well over 8 seasons. 

you look at United but when they had to replace gms, Armstrong, Russell, Robertson etc they were shite. Hibs had a brilliant side with McGinn, mcgeouch etc under Lennon but turned shite. 

we stayed up there the whole time. Always, as a minimum, on the coattails of 3rd if we were there or higher. 

we peaked in 16/17 then lost Hayes, Jack, Taylor, McGinn (for a bit) but still finished the following season in 2nd above some strong sides. 

Qualifying for Europe 8 times in a row is unheard of for any team in Scotland outside the main 2. 

Except for when we qualified 15 or so seasons in a row?

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, NEM said:

Except for when we qualified 15 or so seasons in a row?

Good one

We aren’t talking about the 80s. Aberdeen have won 19 trophies in their entire 121 year existence and more than half came in 8 years. We are incredibly lucky to have had Fergie at this club because that was far from the norm for this club. 

I am talking about other Scottish teams since about 1992 or so when money changed football. 

Between 92 & 2013 did we even qualify for Europe a total of 8 times? Probably not. Cba checking though

• Dildo 1
2 hours ago, G man said:

Ferguson came to us from the very successful youth programme at Hamilton. We cannot claim success for him through our youth system. At the moment our youth players have to go from the youth set up to the first team often via loan deals. I think the club has been very shortsighted not being involved in the reserve youth league. 

Of course we can. We developed him. You don't just stop developing when you move clubs. I would suggest playing with Aberdeen, European football etc were a huge part in Ferguson's development and success in earning his move to Italy.

It's also a model we should look at doing more often if possible.

1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

We aren’t talking about the 80s. Aberdeen have won 19 trophies in their entire 121 year existence and more than half came in 8 years. We are incredibly lucky to have had Fergie at this club because that was far from the norm for this club. 

I am talking about other Scottish teams since about 1992 or so when money changed football. 

Between 92 & 2013 did we even qualify for Europe a total of 8 times? Probably not. Cba checking though

It's all well and good citing the Fergie era as anomalous, but you forget we pushed a world-class Celtic side (runners-up in the EC 1970, semi-finalists on several occasions) all the way on several occasions in the 70's, not least in losing the league on the last day, two decades before the fateful Ibrox debacle. With the exception of the pre-Turnbull era in the 1960's, we were a strong force in Scottish football from the 1940's right through to the mid-90's. It's therefore not unreasonable to have aspirations beyond most SPL clubs out with the Arse Cheeks. At the very least, we should be aiming for top 4 league finishes, regular European football and a cup final every 3 years or so.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Good one

Good one?

Maybe specify the time period next time if you’re narrowing it down to one. 

1 hour ago, Jocky Balboa said:

It's all well and good citing the Fergie era as anomalous, but you forget we pushed a world-class Celtic side (runners-up in the EC 1970, semi-finalists on several occasions) all the way on several occasions in the 70's, not least in losing the league on the last day, two decades before the fateful Ibrox debacle. With the exception of the pre-Turnbull era in the 1960's, we were a strong force in Scottish football from the 1940's right through to the mid-90's. It's therefore not unreasonable to have aspirations beyond most SPL clubs out with the Arse Cheeks. At the very least, we should be aiming for top 4 league finishes, regular European football and a cup final every 3 years or so.

When I said I wasn’t talking about the 80s I certainly didn’t mean what about the 1940s to 1970s as well

agree tho - it’s what we should be doing!! Aberdeen hearts and hibs massively under achieve

4 minutes ago, NEM said:

Good one?

Maybe specify the time period next time if you’re narrowing it down to one. 

Sorry I thought you’d use your common sense. I’m talking about how none of our rivals ever qualify for Europe 8 years in a row. Clearly I’m talking about modern times not 40 years ago. You don’t hear man city talking about Ipswich cause they were good in the 80s

1 minute ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

When I said I wasn’t talking about the 80s I certainly didn’t mean what about the 1940s to 1970s as well

agree tho - it’s what we should be doing!! Aberdeen hearts and hibs massively under achieve

Sorry I thought you’d use your common sense. I’m talking about how none of our rivals ever qualify for Europe 8 years in a row. Clearly I’m talking about modern times not 40 years ago. You don’t hear man city talking about Ipswich cause they were good in the 80s

“None of our rivals ever qualify for Europe 8 seasons in a row”*

*since 2015

Aye common sense indeed 

3 minutes ago, NEM said:

“None of our rivals ever qualify for Europe 8 seasons in a row”*

*since 2015

Aye common sense indeed 

Och - fair enough young man. 

what I am saying is no other team at any stage since I’ve been watching football has done it in Scotland. 

you’ll get hearts in the top 4 for a 2 or 3 seasons then they turn crap. Then you’ll get hibs / United maybe one season then shite. 

pre McInnes I think we finished top 3 maybe twice in 20 seasons. 4th a few times under Jimmy and once on Calderwood. 

its abysmal 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

You aren’t always going to get it right. Forrester was a disaster. 

thought May would have been a great signing but in the end didn’t work out. Still, cost less than Guèye and played 75 times. Contributed and assisted others. 

May was practically a bargain compared to Richardson, Morris and the gang 

Not much less than gueye. We MAY get a resale value on him, whereas we got heehaw with may

4 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

Not much less than gueye. We MAY get a resale value on him, whereas we got heehaw with may

Again, at least may contributed. To a team who finished 2nd, had a few wins at ibrox and beat the Huns at hampden for some days out. 

May in no way can be compared with Gueye. He didn’t bang in the goals but he was a regular in a much better team than what we have now 

41 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Ugh hate that.

Football didn't begin in modern times.

Forest are a bigger club than City. The end.

Ipswich had Wark. Class.

Fuck City. AMF.

Just now, Roberto said:

Ugh hate that.

Football didn't begin in modern times.

Forest are a bigger club than City. The end.

Think the point of my post has got lost. 

im saying we qualified for Europe 8 times in a row and you don’t see other teams doing that. 

for clarity - I didn’t mean in the history of football. I meant in recent times. Certainly haven’t seen it since I’ve been watching Aberdeen the last 30 years. 

it was an achievement 

1 minute ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Think the point of my post has got lost. 

im saying we qualified for Europe 8 times in a row and you don’t see other teams doing that. 

for clarity - I didn’t mean in the history of football. I meant in recent times. Certainly haven’t seen it since I’ve been watching Aberdeen the last 30 years. 

it was an achievement 

You're forgiven.

AMF.

4 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Dunno if I agree about Forest though. It’s actually mental what they achieved. Their domestic honours are sparse. To win the European cup 2 years in a row but the first division only once is mental 

Clough > Pep.

Fuck City.

4 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Dick Donald and Chris Anderson knew what they were doing and appointed good managers even before Fergie. Milne learnt from his mistakes and eventually got it right with Mcinnes.I guess Cormack is still learning..

8 hours ago, ERNIE said:

Dick Donald and Chris Anderson knew what they were doing and appointed good managers even before Fergie. Milne learnt from his mistakes and eventually got it right with Mcinnes.I guess Cormack is still learning..

LOL

• Upvote 2
15 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Good one

We were in Europe 93/94, 94/95, 96/97, 00/01, 02/03, 07/08, 10/11. 

Shows how easy it is to qualify in Scotland as we were fucking brutal.

The requirement for this appointment to be right this time is getting more and more critical by the day, especially if the club is to start progressing as opposed to regressing towards a likely relegation in the next couple of years or so.

Cormack has bought himself a wee bit of time by appointing Smokescreen Warnock but it will not be long before some very tough and crucial decisions will have to be made about the overall management of the club going forwards. 

On the assumption that the current external review doesn't turn out to be a "marking your own homework" exercise I would imagine that major changes will be afoot. 

I sincerely hope that these changes will involve the appointment of a proper DOF and the appointment of an experienced manager who can attract the calibre of player we can build a balanced team from. 

During Cormack's time at the helm the employment of puppet managers has resulted in us building the worst defence I have seen in many a year.

It is one thing having gems like Miovski in the team but if the crucial foundations aren't built at the back no team will ever prosper.

This season is almost at the point of a write off. I really have my fingers crossed that Cormack and the club management structure as it stands are using the time wisely to source the next manager who will make a significant difference this time around. 

To fail again with this appointment, and the hiring of a proper DOF, doesn't bare thinking about. 

23 minutes ago, RUL said:

We were in Europe 93/94, 94/95, 96/97, 00/01, 02/03, 07/08, 10/11. 

Shows how easy it is to qualify in Scotland as we were fucking brutal.

We were in Europe in 93/94 because of our performance the previous season.  And if you reckon we were brutal in season 92/93 then you are genuinely retarded.  The 7-0 win at Partick and the 6-2 win v Hearts a few days later , both featuring hat-tricks by Shearer were particularly brutal.