Next Manager

11 hours ago, Glass half full said:

You’re asking if clubs give new managers time or not, yet you support a club who fired Robson and Glass within a year of them becoming managers for the first time? 

I'm asking "The lack of managerial quality, or even potential, in Scotland is frightening. Why is that?"

1 hour ago, Dynamo said:

I'm asking "The lack of managerial quality, or even potential, in Scotland is frightening. Why is that?"

Any half decent managers do down south pronto (Alex Neil for example) and those who are left are usually not forward thinking on terms of play style (similar to Robson) 

I think we need a manager who understands how the SPL works but who isn't terrified of Sevco and Celtic and will at least try and play attacking football. As has been said many times, the SPL is garbage and all you have to do is be slightly less garbage than everyone else to finish 3rd. That means...

1) being tight at the back
2) physical presence and able to battle in midfield
3) with a couple of decent creative players
4) and someone who can score goals.

At the moment we have number 4 and that's it. You could argue we have one or two creative players but they are a bit samey - ie Clarkson and McGrath, but nothing out wide. However, tick all those boxes and you're third. Most teams currently from 3rd to 8th tick one or two of those boxes, hence why they yo-yo up and down season to season. If you tick them all you will achieve the consistency necessary to churn out enough points to be third. Simple.

So we need a manager who understands that, but who can bring in creative players good enough to make us solid but also entertaining. Think McInnes time with Hayes and McGinn and Rooney banging in the goals. At the moment that's what we need to get back to before we think about pushing on any further. 

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

I think we need a manager who understands how the SPL works but who isn't terrified of Sevco and Celtic and will at least try and play attacking football. As has been said many times, the SPL is garbage and all you have to do is be slightly less garbage than everyone else to finish 3rd. That means...

At the moment we have number 4 and that's it. You could argue we have one or two creative players but they are a bit samey - ie Clarkson and McGrath, but nothing out wide. However, tick all those boxes and you're third. Most teams currently from 3rd to 8th tick one or two of those boxes, hence why they yo-yo up and down season to season. If you tick them all you will achieve the consistency necessary to churn out enough points to be third. Simple.

So we need a manager who understands that, but who can bring in creative players good enough to make us solid but also entertaining. Think McInnes time with Hayes and McGinn and Rooney banging in the goals. At the moment that's what we need to get back to before we think about pushing on any further. 

Largely agree but I’d extend “tight at the back” to include “competent keeper” one that commands his box sickening little clubs that bother to get that far.  Think of the transformation when Lewis took over from Langfield.

And creative has to include width.

I agree with all of above apart from him having to know the SPL. We just need a good manager. 

• Upvote 1

Agree with your summary of requirements, the only thing I would add is 

5) a consistent level of performance. By that I mean our players (like most) enjoy the challenge of raising their game against Celtic, Rangers and Euro ties but can't be arsed against the smaller sides. 

As you and I know the successful sides are the ones where the manager manages to instill the mindset that 3 points away to a bottom end club on a rainy Wednesday night are just as (if not more) important as the more glamorous ties.

If you can do the above ( including your points) I think that would lift us to 4th, then it would be an ongoing scrap with Hearts for 3rd spot.

There's been a next manager  topic here for about 4 years over 6 different managers.Wonder when it gets replaced by a next chairman topic cos unless Cormack changes his ways cant see us   not getting another manager next year too.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ERNIE said:

There's been a next manager  topic here for about 4 years over 6 different managers.Wonder when it gets replaced by a next chairman topic cos unless Cormack changes his ways cant see us   not getting another manager next year too.

As it was with Milne for years it’s almost a pointless discussion tbh

Unless there is another rich idiot somewhere who wants to buy the Club we are stuck with Cormack and will just have to lump it 

4 minutes ago, Yorston Vasey said:

A win for Stephen Robinson today and he'll shoot right to the top of Cormack's list 😱

That’s if he already isn’t there.  Saying that I’m at the point now where a couldn’t give a fuck who the next manager is as we’ll be here again in Jan/Feb with another season flushed down the pan and another unbalanced squad of shite that needs moved on in the summer

21 minutes ago, Yorston Vasey said:

A win for Stephen Robinson today and he'll shoot right to the top of Cormack's list 😱

You can already see it's exactly the move he'd make. 

Robinson is a decent manager but I'm not sure he'd leave St Mirren for us even if we asked the question. Sad indictment of where we are as a club. 

What’s needed in pittodrie is a Refining Fire, the same as when a forest gets burned up, after a short period you see new life sprouting up, and blooms again.    Bottom line Fire the whole lot of them from top to bottom, except for a few players who seem to give a shit. 
Get a manager in who is given full reign and knows what he needs to do to make AFC a great club again, and not so called clowns in the office who give out contracts to any dross.     It’s depressing watching this team surrendering performances and losing games.  

4 minutes ago, shooftahmooftah said:

What’s needed in pittodrie is a Refining Fire, the same as when a forest gets burned up, after a short period you see new life sprouting up, and blooms again.    Bottom line Fire the whole lot of them from top to bottom, except for a few players who seem to give a shit. 
Get a manager in who is given full reign and knows what he needs to do to make AFC a great club again, and not so called clowns in the office who give out contracts to any dross.     It’s depressing watching this team surrendering performances and losing games.  

your posting life has been steadily building towards this apotheosis of Shooftamooftahdom

🙏

Just now, RabidGiraffe said:

Where are we with this infamous review?

Has the club even spoken to any potential permanent candidates?

What's the chances of someone coming in on a permanent basis getting the last few games to assess the squad before Warnock gets us relegated?

Who’s going to join a club that has a decent chance of being relegated? 

9 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Who’s going to join a club that has a decent chance of being relegated? 

Anyone who wants a wage. If I was a half-decent manager I would be taking it and demanding Dave pays me a cool £100K bonus if I keep the club up. I think we always underestimate how many managers are looking for work.