Next Manager

7 minutes ago, RedArrow said:

Was there not someone on here mentioning his last few jobs, they’ve started terribly, a bit like his time here… Then he gets a result that turns things around and the team goes on a run? I imagine if that’s the case there would have been a few of us thinking Saturday may have been that result.

Guess not now.

that was exactly my thoughts, along with disapointment that it was over

32 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Who would normally dictate team strategy? The DoF or the manager I would have thought, unless you’d like to illuminate me with your knowledge ?

The manager is in charge of the strategy. BUT the manager is appointed by the director of football on the basis he carries out the strategy he wants. For example you don’t appoint Goodwin if you want to play an attractive style of football…

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye. 

Dave decided after the St Mirren game to accelerate the process of getting a new manager in. 

Dave and Burrows met with Warnock to tell him and Warnock said he'd let them get on with it then and he'd be away after Saturday. 

I imagine that Dave and Burrows were also slightly concerned about the stress this was causing Warnock. He might have well said he could cope with it. Nobody thought things would take a nose dive when he was appointed. From what little I know about Dave and Burrows they are mindful of employee well being - albeit while recognising its a stressful, results driven business. It's highly likely this was also part of their thinking together with the knowledge that they had identified candidates who could take up the reigns before the end of season. That's a reasonable step to take if it can be done. When the mob bayed for Barry's blood its possible that the immediate short list of managers suggested the need to wait until end of season. Since then prospects of getting someone in sooner have improved. Of course the thing is a mess - sacking a manager usually is. In modern football it's par for the course though. The days of sticking with someone through various transfer windows until they had "their own team in place" seem to be long gone.

25 minutes ago, jessisgod said:

Isn't he from Edinburgh?

Actually you are right - seems he is from Leith. Due to his largely incomprehensible accent which gives a poor impression as to his ability or mental acuity  (which in his case is a false impression) I had labelled him as the normal thick weegie - how wrong of me to stereotype like that. Now I need to add Leith to that category.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, slippers said:

The manager is in charge of the strategy. BUT the manager is appointed by the director of football on the basis he carries out the strategy he wants. For example you don’t appoint Goodwin if you want to play an attractive style of football…

I would expect the owner to set the strategic vision for the club and that would include some high level direction on playing style. The Board would be responsible for ensuring alliance with the strategic vision vis a vis their respective responsibilities. The DOF would be responsible for implementing the strategic level across the footballing department - players, managers, coaches, etc. The manager would be responsible for implementing the strategic vision through his management and administration of the playing squad and his subordinated strategy of winning football matches and achieving strategic targets. He would also be responsible of translating the strategic overview into suitable match winning tactics.  

It's quite simple to see how this works when you have worked for large organisations and it's also quite simple to see how it can completely unravel because someone has his own opinions. When Goodwin says "I've got carte blanch to do things my way. I will coach. I will run the team. I will choose the players." It either meant a) the strategic vision just allowed for the manager to try to win matches and achieve targets like 'get into Europe', ' get to Hampden' and such like; or b) it had detailed instructions on how to achieve the strategic goals in alignment with corporate culture.

However it seems likely that he just interpreted it to mean: 'you are fucking great Jim do what ever you like coz you're the boss and you're fucking amazing." Since his immediate demoralisation of the playing squad, his door showing skills to Scott Brown, and his mistreatment of Andy Considine would suggest not much of a) and not much of b) It seems that having grand strategy handed down from Owner to the various responsible parties doesn't always work for various reasons -

Poor strategy description

Poor strategy implementation

Poor capability of responsible parties

Thick as fuck responsible parties

Ego the size of the planet managerial character.

1 hour ago, Zeus said:

The championship (and English fitba) is piss 

The Dons are bigger than Bolton

Chance to manage some world class players 

I agree the dons are bigger than Bolton but the finances are a lot bigger in the championship than anything we can offer for players/managers.

8 minutes ago, Harry's Double Shuffle said:

Yes, she proposed Mowbray for next boss and I didn't really understand much else she had to say. They never included WM on the podcast either... a lot of var chat tho...zzzz

Aye switched off when Madden came on 

Aye she recommended Alex Neil who doesn’t want to be in Scotland again and Mowbray who had to take a step back due to health reasons