Next Manager

11 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Makes you wonder though, if third place, European football every season and cup finals aren’t enough for people then what is?

I think people just want to see progress.

The glasgow cheeks ruling the league can't last forever, someone has to do it. Hibs are getting a huge cash injection and Hearts are quantum leaps ahead of us at the moment, they're both in far better positions to do it than we are.

The worry isn't that all we're ever going to get is 3rd place and European football, it's that if we don't see consistent improvement and quickly then we're staring at 5th as target for the coming seasons.

7 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

Getting paid a fortune in the Saudi pro-league. He’s also not very good 

He's no longer managing in Saudi Arabia. 

He managed to get a very average Poland team (bar Lewandowski and Szczesny) to qualify for the last World Cup held in Qatar.

You seem to have great knowledge of the Polish Ekstraklasa and Poland men's national team to pass such judgement on Michniewicz.

4 minutes ago, Bridgeofdondon said:

Was sacked in October,  but then that solidifies your second point

Sacked by Abha Club who are almost as bad as us for hiring and sacking managers over the past few years.

9 minutes ago, Bridgeofdondon said:

9 minutes ago, Bridgeofdondon said:

Enough said. 3 wins from 9. Sign him up!

6 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

He's no longer managing in Saudi Arabia. 

He managed to get a very average Poland team (bar Lewandowski and Szczesny) to qualify for the last World Cup held in Qatar.

You seem to have great knowledge of the Polish Ekstraklasa and Poland men's national team to pass such judgement on Michniewicz.

I think he’s a long ball style manager, with a bang average record.

Why do you want him as manager? 

6 minutes ago, Torry Tosser said:

Talkshite saying a certain ex Championship manager is to be interviewed tomorrow,maybe trying to think they ITK,no name given....Alex Neil???????

Lolz

do you read anything on here, or just come on to post pish that you’ve heard on talk sport?

• Haha 2
11 hours ago, JamieMT said:

A question already answered. Promotion.

You were very keen to point out Sunderland were fourth when Neil took over and fifth come the end of the League season. But chose to ignore the season doesn't end if you finish third to sixth, as you enter the Playoffs.

Sunderland won the Playoff Final which saw them promoted to the Championship. No worse than had they finished first or second.

Viewed another way, if you're a Sunderland fan at Wembley watching your team being promoted via the Playoff Final. Are you elated your team's going up? Or are you cursing Alex Neil for failing to maintain fourth position, which would have led you to ... the playoffs?

You're missing the point, likely deliberately.

We're debating Alex Neil's merits for getting the Aberdeen job. Him getting Sunderland promoted is being put forward as impressive. I don't think taking over when they were two points off second with three months to go, and just about getting over the line through the play-offs, is that impressive.

He didn't stay at Sunderland long enough to be a failure, but he was sacked from the two jobs he had before it and the one after it.

Most people championing Alex Neil don't appear to have any idea of his record down south.

• Upvote 4
5 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

I think he’s a long ball style manager, with a bang average record.

Why do you want him as manager? 

If he can get a very average Poland side to qualify for the last World Cup in Qatar, that alone is good enough for me.

However, on top of this, he has managed some of the top, notable sides in the Ekstraklasa with varying levels of success over a sustained period of time.

The Ekstraklasa is arguably the most competitive leagues in Europe with several teams (not just your usual 2 or 3 in most leagues) all vying for the title each season.

For instance, Rakow Czestochowa won their first ever Ekstraklasa title last season, with Lech Poznan and Legia Warsaw (managed by Michniewicz) winning the title in the previous two seasons to 2022-23. 

52 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Makes you wonder though, if third place, European football every season and cup finals aren’t enough for people then what is?

I'll take a stab.

Using 3rd as a platform, not a plinth.

European GROUP football.  And turning up for particularly the key qualifiers with as close to an established and competent squad as we can.

And going to said cup finals and having a go - not a stupid gung ho all out attack approach since, heh, that would be as mental as turning up in our suits and asking for autographs.  Just have the team properly prepared, and the players leaving with their heads held as high as possible win or lose with no regrets or energies left.    

3 hours ago, Johnnyred1 said:

After reading comments on a new manager from Don's fans in the daily rag, it is amazing how there is no clear favourite. Everyone has a preference. Some, like on here saying they won't be back if a certain guy gets it. So many names mentioned and discounted. It is a gamble at the end of the day. I just hope we can all put our disappointment behind us if we don't agree who gets the job and support them from the start.........before putting the customery boot in.

Nice to hear they're wanting to hear the view of my fans.  A well informed bunch.

1 hour ago, 20two20 said:

I think people just want to see progress.

The glasgow cheeks ruling the league can't last forever, someone has to do it. Hibs are getting a huge cash injection and Hearts are quantum leaps ahead of us at the moment, they're both in far better positions to do it than we are.

The worry isn't that all we're ever going to get is 3rd place and European football, it's that if we don't see consistent improvement and quickly then we're staring at 5th as target for the coming seasons.

You really need to calm down my friend. Hearts are not quantum leaps ahead if us. Far from it. A couple of good signings will see us back challenging a poor Hearts aide. 

Deary me.....

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, Johnnyred1 said:

After reading comments on a new manager from Don's fans in the daily rag, it is amazing how there is no clear favourite. Everyone has a preference. Some, like on here saying they won't be back if a certain guy gets it. So many names mentioned and discounted. It is a gamble at the end of the day. I just hope we can all put our disappointment behind us if we don't agree who gets the job and support them from the start.........before putting the customery boot in.

Fans are fickle and opinions are like arseholes. See hearts and Naismith. They were chomping at the bit to fire that wee mong. 
If we win games nobody gives a shit who is in charge. 
Just give the the best person on the market that we can afford the best platform to succeed and we will be fine. 

• Upvote 2
13 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

You really need to calm down my friend. Hearts are not quantum leaps ahead if us. Far from it. A couple of good signings will see us back challenging a poor Hearts aide. 

Deary me.....

More than double our points, so far.

Not a quantum leap ahead.

K.

4 minutes ago, 20two20 said:

More than double our points, so far.

Not a quantum leap ahead.

K.

They've got that though by just being ok. Far too reliant on Shankland. Like us with Miovski in fairness. We've just made a complete cunt of this season. They've done enough to win games without playing that well but they've been keeping clean sheets on general so 1 goal from Shankland has been enough to win games. 

We are having to score 3 or 4 a game just to win because we can't fucking defend. A semi-competent manager that signs a couple of decent defenders would have them back in their box in no time. Or in their rightful place.. in the Championship. 

• Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

They've got that though by just being ok. Far too reliant on Shankland. Like us with Miovski in fairness. We've just made a complete cunt of this season. They've done enough to win games without playing that well but they've been keeping clean sheets on general so 1 goal from Shankland has been enough to win games. 

We are having to score 3 or 4 a game just to win because we can't fucking defend. A semi-competent manager that signs a couple of decent defenders would have them back in their box in no time. Or in their rightful place.. in the Championship. 

I struggle to believe anyone with this opinion has actually been watching us this season, we are a fucking dire football team, we aren't 2 players away from walking all over Hearts, we're 1 player (Miovski) away from being relegated.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Dildo 1
1 minute ago, 20two20 said:

I struggle to believe anyone with this opinion has actually been watching us this season, we are a fucking dire football team, we aren't 2 players away from walking all over Hearts, we're 1 player (Miovski) away from being relegated.

You're right we are a dire football team. But you could say the same about Hearts. Take Shankland out of that team and they'd be in a very similar situation to us. What has he scored? Like 55% of their goals? 

3 minutes ago, 20two20 said:

10/12ths of the league are in this position. 

A couple of players and a sensible formation and we could beat most teams in the league, in the same way that losing key player or 2 could send others tumbling down. 

We are behind others because we have been worse than expected, not because others have been particularly great. 

27 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

And a style and squad composition (and spine) that gets you to comfortably 3rd, qualifiers* and a fair shout in the cup.  But they're potentially "all-in" just to get that far, I don't see anything in Naismith to suggest he'll go further afield and unless there's a race of youngsters coming through that we haven't heard of yet its a squad that will mature and need replacing just to stand still.

Sounds familiar.

* Or take in a shit ton from consistent group qualification/participation and invest it wisely 

6 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

And a style and squad composition (and spine) that gets you to comfortably 3rd, qualifiers and a fair shout in the cup.  But they're potentially "all-in" just to get that far, I don't see anything in Naismith to suggest he'll go further afield and unless there's a race of youngsters coming through that we haven't heard of yet its a squad that will mature and need replacing just to stand still.

Sounds familiar.

Aye Naismith is getting a lot of undue credit for this season. I look at the majority of their team and outwith Shankland, Clark and possibly Kingsley there isn't many I'd have in our team. 

7 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

You're right we are a dire football team. But you could say the same about Hearts. Take Shankland out of that team and they'd be in a very similar situation to us. What has he scored? Like 55% of their goals? 

Shankland (25) - 53% of 47 goals

Miovski (17) - 36% of 47 goals

Assuming we're hypothetically replacing both strikers with strikers that score 0..

Hearts new GD = -15 (where we are currently)

Aberdeens new GD = -32 (bottom of the league by 3 goals)

Hearts could have gone the season without Shankland and without anyone else scoring any other goals and they'd be where we are. If we do the same hypothetical for Aberdeen and Miovski then we are comfortably bottom of the league and immediately being relegated.

Also, Hearts have had 14 clean sheets this season, we've had 4. 

So even without Shanklands goals to turn those clean sheet draws into wins they'd be ~10 points better off than us and in 6th place.

Quantum leap.