Aberdeen 1 - 1 HJK Helsinki

1 hour ago, TerryMcDermott said:

Interested to see how we line up tactically with then usually employing a 343 with the emphasis on the wing backs. 

I can see us almost matching them with three at the back. Miovski on his own with Duk sitting off him left. Hayes/McKenzie probably left wing back

Back line surely Gartenmann/Ruby/Jensen

Can’t see us playing two up front from the go.  

I feel like we probably should, given this is our best chance to get 3 points on the board. 

If we approach this too cautiously we're going to give them an opportunity to settle and decide whether they want to kill the game or not, and leave with a point that would be way more valuable for them than us. 

I think if there's any game in this group we need to go for it it's this game.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

I feel like we probably should, given this is our best chance to get 3 points on the board. 

If we approach this too cautiously we're going to give them an opportunity to settle and decide whether they want to kill the game or not, and leave with a point that would be way more valuable for them than us. 

I think if there's any game in this group we need to go for it it's this game.

And 500k

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, GAME OF BILLIONS said:

Not really. I watch the Greek league and I watch the German league and German Cup. Watched the Greek teams in Europe last season. The top four clubs of Greece really go at it, last season's finale was mental. Frankfurt are a pretty tame side by comparison these days. They used to have a great team, but not so much this season. Leipzig, Union Berlin, even Freiburg are the teams in Germany who have ascended. Frankfurt have reputation, a high UEFA co-efficient, but those things mean little to me, I judge teams by watching the recent footage of them.

Ever got yer hole?

3 hours ago, GAME OF BILLIONS said:

Yeah, unlike Bodo/Glimt and certainly Molde, HJK aren't a solid, clinical Scandinavian side. The Finnish league isn't a tough one, HJK and The Dons really need to go at that and beat them in the first half. 

Jari Litmanen was a great player for Ajax, he's easily the best Finnish player ever.

He came off in the 1995 Champions League Final for Kluivert who scored in this crazy, legendary match...

They are not even a Scandinavian side. 

1 hour ago, virtualmontana said:

Very lazy journalism using that picture taken pre season 78-79 talking about matches 1st of which didn't take place until September 83. Archibald, Scanlon and Kennedy to name but a few in the picture no longer played for us.

Just reinforces my impression that most football journalists no fuck all in comparison to the punters they are supposed to be enlightening.

Feel great now I've had a rant 😂.

If we win tonight would a draw between PAOK & Frankfurt be the best result for us? Would have them both on 4 points with us just behind with 3 points.

Although if one of them win then we could go 2nd on goal difference with a win.

Wins tonight for us and Frankfurt would make the PAOK game on the 26th absolutely massive.

1 hour ago, Medw1311 said:

If we win tonight would a draw between PAOK & Frankfurt be the best result for us? Would have them both on 4 points with us just behind with 3 points.

Wins tonight for us and Frankfurt would make the PAOK game on the 26th absolutely massive.

A draw isn’t a bad result. We need one of those teams to ideally win all their games in this group and we nick a result at home against the team which doesn’t run away with the group. 

Roos
Gartenmann Rubezic Jensen
Devlin Barron Shinnie Hayes
Clarkson
Miovski Duk

Hard to leave McGrath out when he's been playing well, and Polvara does give a bit of height in the middle, but I think Barron gives us energy in midfield to help out Shinnie, and Clarkson is the most creative player we have.

Get at them from the first minute, overwhelm them, 2-0 up by half time and cruise home to a 3-0 win. 

The run up to this has reminded me of the Copenhagen game at home in 2007, in that its our best chance for a win in the group, although its a game we could well lose.  So there was a cautiously confident energy.

We obv went on to pump Copenhagen 4-0, a result that likely no-one dreamed of.

Lets have more of the same tonight!  

18 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

The run up to this has reminded me of the Copenhagen game at home in 2007, in that its our best chance for a win in the group, although its a game we could well lose.  So there was a cautiously confident energy.

We obv went on to pump Copenhagen 4-0, a result that likely no-one dreamed of.

Lets have more of the same tonight!  

No chance. 

Full house, confidence high after some good results and high expectations from the fans = capitulation on the pitch. 

3-1 Helsinki. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
14 hours ago, TerryMcDermott said:

Interested to see how we line up tactically with then usually employing a 343 with the emphasis on the wing backs. 

I can see us almost matching them with three at the back. Miovski on his own with Duk sitting off him left. Hayes/McKenzie probably left wing back

Back line surely Gartenmann/Ruby/Jensen

Can’t see us playing two up front from the go.  

If Duk plays, it's normally considered we've played 2 up front. But as you say he peels off to the left a lot (usually out of possession) and joins Miovski upfront if we attack down the right

4 hours ago, Medw1311 said:

Nope. Frankfurt to run away with it, making their last game a dead rubber.

4 hours ago, Medw1311 said:

I'd go for anything other than a PAOK win being a good result for us if we can win to keep us interested