Commonwealth Games

stonefish100

See Halifax in Canadia have pulled out of the running for the 2014 games, leaving Glasgae as the favourite.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgo...est/6431603.stm

Serves the moose shaggers right for making a film to highlight the ned culture of Glasgow and Scotland and that hosting the games there would place people in danger. (even though thats probably true).

Serves the moose shaggers right for making a film to highlight the ned culture of Glasgow and Scotland and that hosting the games there would place people in danger. (even though thats probably true).

Aye, the number of times I've been mugged etc in 3 years of living here is unreal. :checkit:

Kind of agree on the money aspect.

The Commonwealth Games is not as much of a crowd puller as the Olympics, but it did seem to have a lot of folk in for the Melbourne games.

To be honest, Scotland is never going to get the Olympics, so this is the next best thing, but I would probably have rather seen Aberdeen bidding for it than Glasgow. Fat chance of that though given that Glasgow has a lot of the stuff in place and Aberdeen would have to start from scratch.

Ultimately though I don't really care either way. Glasgow will get it because Nigeria is a total f*cking shambles.

Don't really like Glasgow and even more money going into the central bewlt which could be spent elsewhere!

Aberdeen is highly unlikely to get a 50m pool if Glasgow doesn't get the games. Scotland's sporting facilities as a whole will benefit.

Still, guess we'll find out in November. My aunt and uncle get a free trip to Sri Lanka to find out the result, lucky sods.

Kind of agree on the money aspect.

The Commonwealth Games is not as much of a crowd puller as the Olympics, but it did seem to have a lot of folk in for the Melbourne games.

To be honest, Scotland is never going to get the Olympics, so this is the next best thing, but I would probably have rather seen Aberdeen bidding for it than Glasgow. Fat chance of that though given that Glasgow has a lot of the stuff in place and Aberdeen would have to start from scratch.

Ultimately though I don't really care either way. Glasgow will get it because Nigeria is a total f*cking shambles.

I honestly can't see how the benefits outweigh the huge cost incurred.

• 7 months later...

Should be.

Although to be perfectly honest, who's going to turn out and attend any of the events? The swimming pool used in the Edinburgh Commonwealth Games is a 10 min walk from my flat and if there was something happening there tomorrow then I wouldn't even get out of bed.

It really is a sub-standard event compared to the olympics or each sports world championships.

should be good, bbc live from scotstoun and tollcross, my workmates are getting paid to dance and cheer when we win! (i would have been but now i'm gonna sleping off a celebratory hangover!)

will the building of the athletes village make people want to visit (or worse live in) the east end? or wil they simply visit the NIA and leave.

Guest TenementFunster

Don't give a flying ***k about it. Can't get excited about a great deal of far from top class athletes chucking stuff and jumping over things.

Might be interested in watching the badminton but aside from that, pish. Hope the Nigerians get it.

Should be.

Although to be perfectly honest, who's going to turn out and attend any of the events? The swimming pool used in the Edinburgh Commonwealth Games is a 10 min walk from my flat and if there was something happening there tomorrow then I wouldn't even get out of bed.

It really is a sub-standard event compared to the olympics or each sports world championships.

I worked there when the games were on in 1986 :angry:

I think it would be fantastic for Glasgow to host the Commonwealth Games - Liz McColgan winning a gold medal for Scotland in 1986 was one of my best ever sporting moments