Georgia and Norway qualifiers.

54 minutes ago, Woolenrouge said:

Scotland then were always undermined by individuals subverting the cause. I seem to remember (rightly?) Dalgleish refused to go to Mexico in '86 because Fergie didn't pick Hansen. Hundreds of huns calling off during the cheating years.

My recollection is that he pulled out of the squad because he was injured

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Woolenrouge said:

My recollecion was he could have been a very important tallisman but decided not to citing injury because Fergie didn't select Hansen.

Dalglish sulking and getting “injured” because of Hansen is a strange one. Hansen didn’t play in any of the qualifiers for WC86 when Stein was the manager. Apparently Stein lost faith in Hansen because he regularly pulled out of squads. Also (for at least one game, maybe more) Stein wanted to play Hansen in front McLeish and Miller, effectively as a deep lying midfielder. Hansen refused, which is baffling as Hansen’s strength was in carrying the ball forward from the back. His strength certainly wasn’t his defending. 
in the 6 WC’s and the 3 Euros that Scotland qualified for, the most goals we conceded came in WC82 when we conceded 8 goals - and Hansen played in all 3 games (mind you, so did Alan Rough).

in wc86, SAF started McLeish and Miller in the first game and then, after McLeish got injured, SAF picked Narey and Miller. The defence wasn’t the problem in 86, Scotland only conceded 3 goals in a tough group. However , we only scored once and that was by a midfielder (Strachan)

3 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I recall Fergie saying in one of his books that he probably should have called up more Aberdeen players but didn't want to be seen as biased towards his own players. 

Also he was only in charge of the 2 Australia playoff games and the 3 world cup games so a pretty short window 

Fergie was in charge for 10 games in total, so there must have been 5 friendlies as well.