Celtic V Aberdeen

Haven’t posted so far or read all the comments, so apologies if this has been mentioned before.

the 541 formation was definitely the right one to start with, but :

a. Not when the five are so deep that they are rarely venturing higher then our 18 yarder

b. Not when the 4 contain two lightweights (Polvara and Clarkson) and Shinnie and Hayes. Hayes has been murder all season and really needs to retire. Shinnie would have been ok if the rest of the 4 had been Barron, McGrath and even Duncan. 
c. If it’s not working and it certainly wasn’t change the formation or personnel or preferably both.

it’s truly baffling that a bunch of thick posters like us on this message board can see very obvious things that are wrong and yet our so called management cannot see this, eg 541 probably right to start with against superior teams, but use a different formation when playing Well, County, Livi etc. 

scunnered beyond belief with Robson. Cormack please make a change.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

I've made this point several times as well, they are professional athletes in the prime of their careers, so absolutely no excuse for not being able to play twice a week. None whatsoever. It's notable that we never heard such excuses from players in the 60's, 70's, 80's and early 90's. They just got on with it.

I remember the days of David Winnie FFS and that's saying something. The recruitment has been absolutely shocking too, not just on loans we never use (Williams and Dadia) but the hundreds of thousands squandered on bench warmers like Gueye and Sokler. As much as Robson is out of his depth, the malaise goes way beyond him and Cormack has to shoulder the majority of responsibility now.

The 60s, 70s and 80s example is facile though, isn't it?

As it was the same for all teams

Our players absolutely can play in 2 games a week, they could play everyday

The issue is they will be at 90/80/70/60% of their peak and that much of a drop off is telling in the performance 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

I've made this point several times as well, they are professional athletes in the prime of their careers, so absolutely no excuse for not being able to play twice a week. None whatsoever. It's notable that we never heard such excuses from players in the 60's, 70's, 80's and early 90's. They just got on with it.

I remember the days of David Winnie FFS and that's saying something. The recruitment has been absolutely shocking too, not just on loans we never use (Williams and Dadia) but the hundreds of thousands squandered on bench warmers like Gueye and Sokler. As much as Robson is out of his depth, the malaise goes way beyond him and Cormack has to shoulder the majority of responsibility now.

Man of the Match in the Skol Cup Final 1992. A superb performance from him as well as our team that unfortunate day. (Still rankles me to this day how we lost that final.)

Albeit, only one game min, but credit where credit is due. 😉

4 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Fair doos but I think anything less than a win at Helsinki is unacceptable after the shit home result/unacceptable result. 

I hear you min, but personally I think we should fuck the remaining European games and play the ‘squad’. We’ve proven we can compete against decent teams in Europe, but we’re out. The focus should be entirely domestic and getting to a position where can play in group stage football in Europe again next season. 
If we go full strength on Thursday nights, we all know what happens on a Sunday! Not seen anything that suggests that’s going to change! 

can’t afford anymore shit performances or humiliations given were a third through the league season. 

Switched off the tv after the penalty at 3-0 and although was aware of the 4th goal and that we were playing injury time I had no idea of the final score until later in the evening. Absolutely disgusting performance on the pitch and in the dug-out.

No excuses whatsoever, including a hard match in Europe. Celtic lost 6 goals the other night. They are decent in our league but far from brilliant. Our approach suggested we were playing Real Madrid.

What we do know is that they love playing Aberdeen...easiest 3 points they will get all season home or away.

Sadly, the malaise at the club will continue regardless of any change in manager. We just seem to be utterly rank against them and have been for years.

That said, for Robson to be unable to shut up shop tactically after the 3rd goal went in means he is way out of his depth.

3 hours ago, Millertime said:

The 60s, 70s and 80s example is facile though, isn't it?

As it was the same for all teams

Our players absolutely can play in 2 games a week, they could play everyday

The issue is they will be at 90/80/70/60% of their peak and that much of a drop off is telling in the performance 

You’re right, but it comes down to squad depth and trusting the squad ‘they’ve’ bought, which they clearly don’t! Selling a machine like Ramandani, who could clearly play 2 games in a week, without a drop off was a huge mistake. Asking Shinnie and Hayes (who just looks done, but a great servant) to play a game and half in a week personifies your drop off point. 
play the likes of sokler, vinny, MacDonald etc. if nothing else they should bring energy and running, which in the first half yesterday we did none of..

if they were good enough to be recruited, they should be good enough to at least be given a go..

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

There are only 2 teams in the league where we could possibly label it a ‘respectable’ draw & that is against the arse cheeks because they are way outside our budget. Anyone else in the league & a draw can never be classed as respectable imo. That may sound arrogant but that is 100% the minimum attitude/mindset I would expect from any Aberdeen player/manager/fan. YES I include away games in this sentiment. Should never be ‘content’ with a draw. Especially when we’re in such a position that we are already desperately playing catch up.

Agree with you on this,

We have to have the same type of mentality the OF have if we are to kick on, which is keep pushing for the win until the last whistle or if losing grabbing the draw.  When you look at our wage bill and money spent compared to the rest we should really be sat in 3rd/4th place.  

McDonald is just one example of Robson being naive as he is one of our more experienced players and should be in the back line with the younger or less experienced players such as Ruby or McKenzie. 

Mentality though has to come from the gaffer.  How he can expect us to win games or get back into games when you go behind is baffling when we just hammer the ball aimlessly forward , and defensively we play like a kids team everyone wants to join in the attack and leave the back door wide open. 

13 minutes ago, englishred said:

Agree with you on this,

We have to have the same type of mentality the OF have if we are to kick on, which is keep pushing for the win until the last whistle or if losing grabbing the draw.  When you look at our wage bill and money spent compared to the rest we should really be sat in 3rd/4th place.  

McDonald is just one example of Robson being naive as he is one of our more experienced players and should be in the back line with the younger or less experienced players such as Ruby or McKenzie. 

Mentality though has to come from the gaffer.  How he can expect us to win games or get back into games when you go behind is baffling when we just hammer the ball aimlessly forward , and defensively we play like a kids team everyone wants to join in the attack and leave the back door wide open. 

Mentality you mention?

Make that 21 league games where we’ve lost the first goal & we’ve lost all 21.

That says all you need to know about our mentality. 

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Man of the Match in the Skol Cup Final 1992. A superb performance from him as well as our team that unfortunate day. (Still rankles me to this day how we lost that final.)

Albeit, only one game min, but credit where credit is due. 😉

Gary Smith had a great game also, felt sorry for him that day.  

15 hours ago, donswin1983 said:

I hear you min, but personally I think we should fuck the remaining European games and play the ‘squad’. We’ve proven we can compete against decent teams in Europe, but we’re out. The focus should be entirely domestic and getting to a position where can play in group stage football in Europe again next season. 
If we go full strength on Thursday nights, we all know what happens on a Sunday! Not seen anything that suggests that’s going to change! 

can’t afford anymore shit performances or humiliations given were a third through the league season. 

We've been shit most weeks we've not had a European game the previous Thursday though.  The common denominator is Robsonball, nae a Euro hangover

• Upvote 2
19 minutes ago, NEM said:

We've been shit most weeks we've not had a European game the previous Thursday though.  The common denominator is Robsonball, nae a Euro hangover

Aye, bit of a myth.

Robson thinks if he repeats things often enough, they become the truth.

The only people who can’t see the football he instructs the team to play is shite, are his bosses. 

2 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Aye, bit if a myth.

Robson thinks if he repeats things often enough, they become the truth.

The only people who can’t see the football he instructs the team to play is shite, are his bosses. 

Have we really been that good in Europe?  our points total says we haven't....  Honestly can't believe he is still in post.

Just now, jamiesd said:

Have we really been that good in Europe?  our points total says we haven't....  Honestly can't believe he is still in post.

We've been decent away from home, absolutely shite at Pittodrie.  The thick cunt should have been sacked at the end of the PAOK game after his triple sub snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
3 minutes ago, NEM said:

We've been decent away from home, absolutely shite at Pittodrie.  The thick cunt should have been sacked at the end of the PAOK game after his triple sub snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Agree.  I'm honestly in two minds about going to the final with this clown in charge.  I can't believe i am even thinking like that.  Fuckin shambles.

8 minutes ago, jamiesd said:

Agree.  I'm honestly in two minds about going to the final with this clown in charge.  I can't believe i am even thinking like that.  Fuckin shambles.

I'm going but it's only because I'd be gutted to miss beating the cunts if a miracle happens.  Can't say I'm looking forward to it at all, very likely to be a shite day oot.

3 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I’ll cut him some slack there. 

Frankfurt & PAOK away, we did as well as we could expect I’d say. 
PAOK at home, we were good for most of the game.

Aye until Barry the halfwit intervened and cost us the game

• Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, jamiesd said:

Tbf our best performances have all been in Europe (bar HJK at home which was every bit as stinking as the majority of our league performances). We were robbed of a win at home against PAOK by a terrible ref and even worse VAR official. Deserved a draw in Frankfurt and got one away in Greece. 

Why we find it so difficult to translate that form into our domestic matches....against inferior opponents.....is strange to say the least.