Summer 2024 window

Long one here, I'm bored at work...

Going by Tord's list on the OOC thread, assuming those out of contract at the end of the season all leave and Miovski is sold which seems inevitable, the first team squad will look like this (listed from strongest to weakest imo);

GK - Roos / Doohan / Ritchie

RB - Devlin / Richardson / Milne

CB - MacDonald / Ruby / Jensen / Gartenmann / Stewart

LB - MacKenzie / McGarry / Hayes / Ngwenya

CM - McGrath / Barron / Clarkson / Shinnie / Polvara / Phillips

Wingers - Duk / Morris / Duncan / Besuijen

CF - Miovski / Sokler / Gueye / Bavidge

New GK required obviously. I'd bin Doohan as well tbh and just let Ritchie ride the bench if we've no intention of ever playing the backup.

The centre of defence has been a disgrace all season and needs a complete overhaul. A left sided CB in the mould of an Anderson to marshal everything and help Ruby keep his calm would be ideal. Could have been MacDonald but for whatever reason it hasn't been this season. Jensen is pish and we need much better than him, and we'll need to replace Gartenmann too.

First choice LB required. MacKenzie isn't terrible and can have a good game now and again, but if the aim is Europe every season then we need to do better. I think I've decided that McGarry is pish as well, but he can't stay fit anyway so it doesn't matter.

Midfield needs an overhaul too. Minimum 2 quality starters who can control the middle of the park required. McGrath / Clarkson both good options playing a bit more advanced, but we look really light in there behind them with Barron likely away, Shinnie visibly slowing down and Polvara unable to last longer than 60 mins.

A few wide players required. Maybe we can get Duk firing again, but we need much better options than him out of form, Morris / Duncan who aren't of the standard required and Vinny who's time here is clearly up.

Up front a replacement for Miovski when he goes is the obvious one. Binning Gueye and bringing in a target man when we need to go to plan B wouldn't go a miss and hopefully Bavidge comes back from his loan at Kelty the same way Barron did ready to come into the first team and contribute too.

As it stands we've 22 contracted first team players for next season, so there's no need to go for quantity over quality for the first summer in a few years. The wages freed up with players leaving, a Miovski fee and a Ferguson windfall should provide ample funds for the new recruitment team to improve the overall squad.

51 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Going by Tord's list on the OOC thread, assuming those out of contract at the end of the season all leave and Miovski is sold which seems inevitable, the first team squad will look like this (listed from strongest to weakest imo);

New GK required obviously. I'd bin Doohan as well tbh and just let Ritchie ride the bench if we've no intention of ever playing the backup.

The centre of defence has been a disgrace all season and needs a complete overhaul. A left sided CB in the mould of an Anderson to marshal everything and help Ruby keep his calm would be ideal. Could have been MacDonald but for whatever reason it hasn't been this season. Jensen is pish and we need much better than him, and we'll need to replace Gartenmann too.

First choice LB required. MacKenzie isn't terrible and can have a good game now and again, but if the aim is Europe every season then we need to do better. I think I've decided that McGarry is pish as well, but he can't stay fit anyway so it doesn't matter.

Midfield needs an overhaul too. Minimum 2 quality starters who can control the middle of the park required. McGrath / Clarkson both good options playing a bit more advanced, but we look really light in there behind them with Barron likely away, Shinnie visibly slowing down and Polvara unable to last longer than 60 mins.

A few wide players required. Maybe we can get Duk firing again, but we need much better options than him out of form, Morris / Duncan who aren't of the standard required and Vinny who's time here is clearly up.

Up front a replacement for Miovski when he goes is the obvious one. Binning Gueye and bringing in a target man when we need to go to plan B wouldn't go a miss and hopefully Bavidge comes back from his loan at Kelty the same way Barron did ready to come into the first team and contribute too.

As it stands we've 22 contracted first team players for next season, so there's no need to go for quantity over quality for the first summer in a few years. The wages freed up with players leaving, a Miovski fee and a Ferguson windfall should provide ample funds for the new recruitment team to improve the overall squad.

You've said we need at least 8 or 9 new players - not quite as bad as last year that's still a massive overhaul 😄

5 hours ago, NEM said:

You've said we need at least 8 or 9 new players - not quite as bad as last year that's still a massive overhaul 😄

Given our 13 signings included 2 players we never played then it'll be getting pretty close to same again if we sell Miovski and Duk...

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

Quick comments from me but only on those still under contract next year that I think need moved on (either perm or loan)..

RB - Milne is supposed to be a CB and needs time on loan to develop.  Richardson is getting a game a Colchester so hopefully some EFL2 or non-league team will pay a token fee big enough for us to cut our losses.

Wide - Will Vinny get another crack under the new manager?  If Warnock can't get a tune out of Morris our only hope is some English lower league pish will take him.  Duncan needs a loan and regular football at a decent standard.     

CF - Gueye, what do we do with him?  I keep hoping there's a decent player in there somewhere.  Fuck knows.  Bavidge I would also loan out next season, top end of championship team.

Fucking hell, doesn't really leave the new manager much to work with, does it?

I hope this new HoR is as good as we're told, he'll certainly have earned his corn if he can pull together a decent squad over the Summer.

10 hours ago, RabidGiraffe said:

Quick comments from me but only on those still under contract next year that I think need moved on (either perm or loan)..

RB - Milne is supposed to be a CB and needs time on loan to develop.  Richardson is getting a game a Colchester so hopefully some EFL2 or non-league team will pay a token fee big enough for us to cut our losses.

Wide - Will Vinny get another crack under the new manager?  If Warnock can't get a tune out of Morris our only hope is some English lower league pish will take him.  Duncan needs a loan and regular football at a decent standard.     

CF - Gueye, what do we do with him?  I keep hoping there's a decent player in there somewhere.  Fuck knows.  Bavidge I would also loan out next season, top end of championship team.

Fucking hell, doesn't really leave the new manager much to work with, does it?

I hope this new HoR is as good as we're told, he'll certainly have earned his corn if he can pull together a decent squad over the Summer.

What the fuck happened to that then?

• Haha 1

With all this new tech of studying data on potential new players, I just wonder if it would be more prudent to read fans forums to get an average and Conservative view on players. Granted, you would have to wade through a lot of shite to get to the actual point. However, including fans views in the overall scheme of things might actually prevent signing regurgitated crap. These wee montage of the players good games kind of mask the downsides.

• Downvote 1
2 hours ago, Johnnyred1 said:

With all this new tech of studying data on potential new players, I just wonder if it would be more prudent to read fans forums to get an average and Conservative view on players. Granted, you would have to wade through a lot of shite to get to the actual point. However, including fans views in the overall scheme of things might actually prevent signing regurgitated crap. These wee montage of the players good games kind of mask the downsides.

Absolutely not. 

2 hours ago, slippers said:

Absolutely not. 

As an example, Derby fans had Roos and Shinnie spot on. Various forums had Gueye as a waste before he signed. Morris wasnt missed by his previous club. Yep, we all have different views on players but you kind of get an overall impression on a player from all our bickering.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Johnnyred1 said:

As an example, Derby fans had Roos and Shinnie spot on. Various forums had Gueye as a waste before he signed. Morris wasnt missed by his previous club. Yep, we all have different views on players but you kind of get an overall impression on a player from all our bickering.

Fans forums should never be a consideration for recruitment. But eyes on the prize most definitely should.

Oliver Burke's the poster boy for metrics, yet anyone who's seen him play knows he's absolutely shite.

There's a lot to be said for old fashioned scouting.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Johnnyred1 said:

Watched some of the Airdrie game yesterday and saw their winger beat more men and get more crosses in, in a 20 minute spell, which is more than Morris has done since he came here. Surely, we can find better than what we have. We have no width outlet. 

Morris is pish. It’s incredible we are still humouring him with training facilities and occasional appearances. 

23 hours ago, Johnnyred1 said:

Watched some of the Airdrie game yesterday and saw their winger beat more men and get more crosses in, in a 20 minute spell, which is more than Morris has done since he came here. Surely, we can find better than what we have. We have no width outlet. 

For some reason under numerous managers we don’t seem to need any winger’s! When was the last real winger who got you up of your feet while attacking defenders and scaring the sh*t out of them

8 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

For some reason under numerous managers we don’t seem to need any winger’s! When was the last real winger who got you up of your feet while attacking defenders and scaring the sh*t out of them

Hayes, McGinn, GMS & Hedges would all make a huge difference to this team. On the form they showed here - not at current ages for the first 3

13 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

If you say so, I obviously don’t fully agree with that. But it’s what a forum is for

Hayes was easily the best player outside the Glasgow 2 before he left. Tremendous player and servant. Even signed a new contract so we could get 1m. Unfortunately hes finished now and probably should never have taken him back.

Heard from a Hun acquaintance that the Rat Ryan Jack has been offered a precontract with us to come back in the summer and was apparently meetimg Burrows and Gunn this week. No idea where they got this from or the validity of it either.

Personally think it's a load of shite but wondering if anyone heard anything similar. 

• Haha 10
10 minutes ago, REDRUM said:

Heard from a Hun acquaintance that the Rat Ryan Jack has been offered a precontract with us to come back in the summer and was apparently meetimg Burrows and Gunn this week. No idea where they got this from or the validity of it either.

Personally think it's a load of shite but wondering if anyone heard anything similar. 

No

47 minutes ago, REDRUM said:

Would be worth it purely to hear the Red Shed sing "I want to know when your gonna die" at the snivelling rat bastard every home match 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, REDRUM said:

Not a chance.

You shouldn't have a hun acquaintance either.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1