Peter Leven

Another clean sheet today, Leven should be handed a tidy bonus for what he's achieved with a team low on confidence and a crap defence.  He's the first one in years who our defenders have look half competent under.

Peter Leven - 7 conceded in 8 games = 0.87 per game
Neil Warnock - 14 conceded in 8 games = 1.75 per game
Barry Robson - 51 conceded in 33 games = 1.54 per game

Only one 90 minute defeat in those games as well and that was down to a penalty.  He might not have matched the winning run that Robson had during his time as caretaker but he's more of a manager than the ginger clown will ever be.

• Upvote 6
9 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Barnsley made the league one play offs. 

He'd really land on his feet if they got promoted and he got the gig. 

Makes logical team selections and substitutions which is more than can be said for some of the previous incumbents at Pittodrie. 

As we know with Robson, it would be a bold move bringing in a caretaker manager based on half a dozen games. 

27 minutes ago, Arthur FN Shelby said:

All credit to Leven. Thing for me is that he’s done really well with the existing players at the club, no new signings at all.

Tbf this is pretty much what Robson did last season. 

Credit where it's due to Leven for taking a team who looked like they couldn't buy a win and getting a few points on board. I think he's quite sensible, looks at the players he has and figures out how best to play accordingly. 

But on my original point, a lot of being a manager these days remains recruitment. If Leven was our permanent boss he could easily fck that up in the summer and be in a similar situation to Robson was this season.

That said, you need a reliable caretaker at the club in modern football and he seems to be that so hopefully he stays.

16 minutes ago, Sheeptastic said:

Tbf this is pretty much what Robson did last season

Credit where it's due to Leven for taking a team who looked like they couldn't buy a win and getting a few points on board. I think he's quite sensible, looks at the players he has and figures out how best to play accordingly. 

But on my original point, a lot of being a manager these days remains recruitment. If Leven was our permanent boss he could easily fck that up in the summer and be in a similar situation to Robson was this season.

That said, you need a reliable caretaker at the club in modern football and he seems to be that so hopefully he stays.

Is it?

He brought in Pollock and MacDonald straight away and they were probably the best performers behind Duk.

Leven has brought in nobody

14 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Is it?

He brought in Pollock and MacDonald straight away and they were probably the best performers behind Duk.

Leven has brought in nobody

At least Pollock (not sure about MacDonald) was identified before Robson came in. Think this has been discussed quite a few times on here.

Don't get me wrong, Robson ended up being shite but what he achieved last season was pretty damn good. Every bit comparable, if not more impressive, than what Leven has done. 

3 hours ago, The Gee Man said:

Wasn’t a fan of the Robson style the boys are tired bit. Very unnecessary 

Why not? Makes perfect sense in the context and he’s saying it after a win so not using it as an excuse.

Players not only had 120 mins but the adrenaline of a penalty shoot out and coming within reach of a huge win over the best team in the league in a cup semi final.

• Upvote 1
On 4/15/2024 at 5:36 AM, minijc said:

I'm not really seeing this better style of football, Motherwell game apart it's been pretty rubbish, none of the performances as good as the Killie cup game which really should have set the standard for the players but they've all reverted to type.

I think trying to build from the back compared to roos launching them is an improvement.  Kinda like seeing some possession even if it is a sting of passes. The tennis match games is bizarre especially against bottom 6. Also nice to see clean sheets.

4 hours ago, Helmet said:

Why not? Makes perfect sense in the context and he’s saying it after a win so not using it as an excuse.

Players not only had 120 mins but the adrenaline of a penalty shoot out and coming within reach of a huge win over the best team in the league in a cup semi final.

I think he was alluding to the fact they had been a bit down and flat in training this week after the semi final defeat.