Happy Bayern Munich day

On 3/17/2024 at 12:30 PM, redone said:

The only trophy that winning the Cup Winners Cup arguably cost us was the premier league title that season.   We dropped loads of points in the league games either immediately before or after the European games.  And finished only one point behind the Jutes.

If there’s been a hangover that crippled the club it’s the one that kicked in on 11 May 1991

Correct. We lost 2-1 to the Jutes ar Pittodrie the Saturday following the Bayern win. I’m convinced that if we played them on any other Saturday, we wouldn’t have lost and thus we would have won the league.

Just now, Itsagoal said:

Correct. We lost 2-1 to the Jutes ar Pittodrie the Saturday following the Bayern win. I’m convinced that if we played them on any other Saturday, we wouldn’t have lost and thus we would have won the league.

Any Other Saturday. Great movie. Joking aside its a good point and raises an interesting question. 

Would we swap the ECWC win for another Premier League title that season instead? 

57 minutes ago, DeltaRay1903 said:

Any Other Saturday. Great movie. Joking aside its a good point and raises an interesting question. 

Would we swap the ECWC win for another Premier League title that season instead? 

Don't be fucking daft

• Haha 3
On 3/16/2024 at 7:43 PM, Millertime said:

We would probably have won more cups in the last 40 years if SAF was never our manager 

The hangover from that era has been absolutely crippling to the club

I cannot believe you are being serious with that comment. I was fortunate to experience those golden years where we achieved far more than anyone could have imagined. It should have been the foundations for far more success than we have had since those days. Sadly losing people like Chris Anderson and the Donald family was the start of the decline. 

4 hours ago, DeltaRay1903 said:

I assumed you were in the wind up.

The better, and I suspect more informed question would have been would we have swapped the 84 title, (pleasant though it was, I’m in the video as God celebrates) to have beaten those foggy Portuguese bastards.

Now there’s a destiny question right there.

13 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

I assumed you were in the wind up.

The better, and I suspect more informed question would have been would we have swapped the 84 title, (pleasant though it was, I’m in the video as God celebrates) to have beaten those foggy Portuguese bastards.

Now there’s a destiny question right there.

What a night. Probably my lowest point as a red. Closest I've ever come to crying at a football match. Absolutely destroyed. 

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Itsagoal said:

I don't think that's what stopped us. The Jutes were a very good side and a defeat to them could occur at any time, even at home.

The real damage occurred in early April when in consecutive weeks we lost to St Mirren at home and oldco away (who were embarrassingly shite at that point in time but who also managed to beat us at home near the start of the season). A win in either of those matches (or even 2 draws) would have won us the league.

30 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I don't think that's what stopped us. The Jutes were a very good side and a defeat to them could occur at any time, even at home.

The real damage occurred in early April when in consecutive weeks we lost to St Mirren at home and oldco away (who were embarrassingly shite at that point in time but who also managed to beat us at home near the start of the season). A win in either of those matches (or even 2 draws) would have won us the league.

Aye missed a penalty against St Mirren to take the lead. McMaster I Think. Or was it Strachan.

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

We lost 2-0 to the Jutes in the first game of the season at Tannadice. Then beat them 5-1 at Pittodrie (Rougvie scored twice) in November and beat them3-0 at Tannadice in January. Before the Jutes beat us 2-1 after Bayern, we had an unbeaten run of 11 games. Even a draw against the Jutes would have been enough to win us the league. As would a win in either of the St Mirren or Rangers games 

4 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

The St Mirren game was on the Saturday before the first leg of our Euro semi and the Huns game was a few days after it.

9 hours ago, Itsagoal said:

I’m pretty certain it was Strachan who missed the penalty

Aye, it was definitely Strachan. 

As amazing a time as it was, beating Bayern an all, we definitely took our eye off the ball in the league for a few vital games. There was also an insipid 0-0 draw away to Hibs on a boiling hot Tuesday night in May, when the SFL made us play 3 league games within 6 days, as a 'favour' because we had the European final the next week. 

I remember at the time that nobody cared, because all eyes were on Gothenburg. 

I'm looking back over the results for that season, and weirdly we only beat St Mirren once in 4 attempts. We also lost 4 home games, the same as Hibs who finished 4th bottom, while the Dabs only lost once (to us). 

I'm not complaining....it was astounding what we did that season with a squad of effectively only 15 players or so. Won 2 cups, reached the league cup quarters, and were in the hunt for the league title up to the last minute. 

If we hadn't been up against an excellent United side, we would have won 4 trophies that season...I've no doubt about it. 

5 hours ago, Schapenneuker said:

Aye, it was definitely Strachan. 

As amazing a time as it was, beating Bayern an all, we definitely took our eye off the ball in the league for a few vital games. There was also an insipid 0-0 draw away to Hibs on a boiling hot Tuesday night in May, when the SFL made us play 3 league games within 6 days, as a 'favour' because we had the European final the next week. 

I remember at the time that nobody cared, because all eyes were on Gothenburg. 

I'm looking back over the results for that season, and weirdly we only beat St Mirren once in 4 attempts. We also lost 4 home games, the same as Hibs who finished 4th bottom, while the Dabs only lost once (to us). 

I'm not complaining....it was astounding what we did that season with a squad of effectively only 15 players or so. Won 2 cups, reached the league cup quarters, and were in the hunt for the league title up to the last minute. 

If we hadn't been up against an excellent United side, we would have won 4 trophies that season...I've no doubt about it. 

We played 60 games that season. Willie played all 60. Leighton played in 59, Big Red, Rougvie and Simmy played 56, and Tattie, McGhee, Weir, Black, Strachan, all played more than 50 games. Astonishing, especially Willie.

2 minutes ago, Itsagoal said:

We played 60 games that season. Willie played all 60. Leighton played in 59, Big Red, Rougvie and Simmy played 56, and Tattie, McGhee, Weir, Black, Strachan, all played more than 50 games. Astonishing, especially Willie.

Just looked up. Wiki, because I’m a saddo. Willie played every game in 1981/82 season. He missed only 2 games in 1980/81 and only 3 games in 1983/84 season. Astounding. And remembering Willie, he was probably excellent in 90% of those games and only very good in the other 10%.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Itsagoal said:

Just looked up. Wiki, because I’m a saddo. Willie played every game in 1981/82 season. He missed only 2 games in 1980/81 and only 3 games in 1983/84 season. Astounding. And remembering Willie, he was probably excellent in 90% of those games and only very good in the other 10%.

Willie Miller can't pass the ball can't head the ball but he's still a great player.  Ally McLeod.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...