Happy Bayern Munich day

44 minutes ago, Hoppy said:

Absolute fucking rubbish

We’ve had that convo on here before.  

Other than an obvious dip losing Leighton and Ferguson plus a few others Cooper etc whom I forget the exact timing of I don’t remember an obvious “Hangover” as you put it until several years later.  Bear in mind the huge transformation by the Hun at that time including the entire England defence arriving and the revenue from the new Ibrox coming on stream.

For me personally that’s what bit with Smiffy 91.  We switched from our successful 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 just for that game and tried for the draw.  First time we’d done that in 10 years.

Thats my recollection anyway although I do confess to a weird vagueness during the Porterfield era, outwith the 3 epic skol finals.

Special mention also re sliding doors moments - Porto (which was obviously Ferguson), IFK Gothenburg and who was the penalty shoot out loss?  Dynamo Berlin maybe?

7 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

We’ve had that convo on here before.  

Other than an obvious dip losing Leighton and Ferguson plus a few others Cooper etc whom I forget the exact timing of I don’t remember an obvious “Hangover” as you put it until several years later.  Bear in mind the huge transformation by the Hun at that time including the entire England defence arriving and the revenue from the new Ibrox coming on stream.

For me personally that’s what bit with Smiffy 91.  We switched from our successful 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 just for that game and tried for the draw.  First time we’d done that in 10 years.

Thats my recollection anyway although I do confess to a weird vagueness during the Porterfield era, outwith the 3 epic skol finals.

Special mention also re sliding doors moments - Porto (which was obviously Ferguson), IFK Gothenburg and who was the penalty shoot out loss?  Dynamo Berlin maybe?

Dynamo Berlin it was, Willie Miller missing the penalty. 

2 hours ago, Millertime said:

We would probably have won more cups in the last 40 years if SAF was never our manager 

The hangover from that era has been absolutely crippling to the club

Fuck sake. 

I often feel aligned with you but that is so stupid. And weird. 

luckily I’m sure you know you are merely my apprentice and you know are wrong. 

7 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Fuck sake. 

I often feel aligned with you but that is so stupid. And weird. 

luckily I’m sure you know you are merely my apprentice and you know are wrong. 

It's not

Think about it

Don't just react

Think about it

(Then apologise)

• Dildo 1
11 hours ago, Yorston Vasey said:

Here's a wild and ridiculous take.. but imagine if we were always that good. Imagine if that was just another win against Bayern Munich. 

It wouldn't mean very much, it would just blend into the mists of time. It would be mundane, routine, nothing to particularly recall 41 years after the fact. How dull would that be?

I had the luck of being there that night, and if I may, I'll fast forward a couple of months. 

I happened to be one of a select..read 'skint'.....few who took the train to Gothenburg for the final. 3 days there, 3 days back. 60 quid return. 

You can imagine the euphoria of 30 or so pished Dons fans in the bar of the ferry from Hoek of Holland to Harwich after the game.....singing, dancing on tables, champagne. It was just a continuation the greatest night of our lives. 

I'll never forget sitting down exhausted at 2 in the morning with a group of us, and we were joined by an older Dons fan, probably in his 60's (we were all late teens, early 20's). He sat there with his whisky, and he made us all calm down, and then said.....'look lads. I want you all to take this in. Every second of it, every breath. Because you will never, ever have this moment in time again. It will never get better than this'. 

There was a pause, and we all burst out laughing. Of course we would. There would be forever glory, and European trophies, and there would always be winning and joy and champagne. 

I wish I had known that it would never, ever be better than that second there and then. But ahhh, youth is wasted on the young, eh ? 

COYR. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I think I was blinded by rage by the 40 year mark. But if 1984-1990 is removed and we go 34 years, then now that I have calmed down I will consider agreeing and might even apologise later on

Haha ok, 34 years

We back in alignment?

On 3/16/2024 at 9:33 AM, aberdeen1970 said:

Johnny Hewitt is my favourite ever Don. 

Not always a starter but the importance of the goals he scored were off the charts. 

Top lad as well.   

Epitomises everything that Aberdeen football club should be about. 

He’s very rude. Great player but rude. Won’t even acknowledge a good morning or a head nod when out dog walking. 

• Haha 1
34 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I think I was blinded by rage by the 40 year mark. But if 1984-1990 is removed and we go 34 years, then now that I have calmed down I will consider agreeing and might even apologise later on

That’s what I was trying to say. The hangover wasn’t immediately post Ferguson leaving per se.

17 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Where were you when John Hewitt scored the winner against Bayern Munich?

Halfway down the stair to tell the Old Man we’d equalised. :clangers2:

I was sitting in my seat not celebrating the equaliser as all around were bouncing.

My Da' said "fits a dee?"

I said "We need anither een".

Nanosecond later. Bedlam.

My younger cousin was found 3 or 4 rows away, having been launched into the air upon the ball hitting the net for 3-2.

16 hours ago, Millertime said:

We would probably have won more cups in the last 40 years if SAF was never our manager 

The hangover from that era has been absolutely crippling to the club

The only trophy that winning the Cup Winners Cup arguably cost us was the premier league title that season.   We dropped loads of points in the league games either immediately before or after the European games.  And finished only one point behind the Jutes.

If there’s been a hangover that crippled the club it’s the one that kicked in on 11 May 1991

20 minutes ago, redone said:

The only trophy that winning the Cup Winners Cup arguably cost us was the premier league title that season.   We dropped loads of points in the league games either immediately before or after the European games.  And finished only one point behind the Jutes.

If there’s been a hangover that crippled the club it’s the one that kicked in on 11 May 1991

aye, at five to three!

8 minutes ago, G man said:

The best atmosphere l have ever experienced at a game at Pittodrie.

FTFY 🙂

I’ll never forget the ‘Here we go !’ ringing round the whole stadium a few minutes after the third goal…..it was a kinda crackling sound , the sheer noise was so loud. Always remember the radio commentator David Begg saying later he’d never experienced any Scottish crowd getting so worked up as in the aftermath of the third goal.

3 minutes ago, G man said:

The best atmosphere l have ever experienced at a game at Pittodrie.

Awww man, if you could go back in time & attend one game this would be the one for me. 

I'd take it over the final even, after this game was when I genuinely felt, we're winning the lot!  ( copyright Zues )

Was still at School & working P/T at the Holiday Inn Dyce washing pots, Christ knows how, but somehow managed to avoid the score all night & my step-dad recorded the game for me. Nearly choked on my heated up macaroni & cheese when wee Hewitt scored. Magnificent!

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, G man said:

The best atmosphere l have ever experienced at a game at Pittodrie.

Me too. Was in the South Stand and after they retook the lead on 61 mins the volume from our stand rose dramatically. I remember thinking the crowd are saying “ We’re not having this. We’re not going out here” and so it proved. I met McLeish once and he said it was the crowd that got them back in it, and the pretendy cock-up free kick. Strachan took that and it was McMaster’s ball in the box that Black headed down t force a rebound for Johnny Hewitt to score the winner. If that winner had not happened we were out on away goals. 

Hewitt’s part off the bench in that ECWC success was way more than that diving header in Gothenburg when he celebrated with his star jump right at us. So lucky to be alive to see both the King Joey era and then the Fergie era. 

• Upvote 1

I had the game on tape. Was it the club that sold it I really don't remember but it did have an official printed cover. What struck me most about it was how different the atmosphere was watching it on telly compared to the absolute bedlam inside the stadium. They must have switched their crowd mikes off or turned them down. Just didn't recreate the actual experience at all. 

Was a matter of 3 to 4 weeks before I started sitting my Highers. So I was listening to the match in my bedroom whilst doing some revision. Actually switched off for about 10 minutes after they scored their second....really believed there was no coming back from it given in those days away goals counted double in the event of a drawn aggregate. Don't know what made me switch back on but did so roughly 2 minutes before McLeish's equaliser. A minute later and all thoughts of revision had gone for the night.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Reykjavik 1967 said:

Me too. Was in the South Stand and after they retook the lead on 61 mins the volume from our stand rose dramatically. I remember thinking the crowd are saying “ We’re not having this. We’re not going out here” and so it proved. I met McLeish once and he said it was the crowd that got them back in it, and the pretendy cock-up free kick. Strachan took that and it was McMaster’s ball in the box that Black headed down t force a rebound for Johnny Hewitt to score the winner. If that winner had not happened we were out on away goals. 

Hewitt’s part off the bench in that ECWC success was way more than that diving header in Gothenburg when he celebrated with his star jump right at us. So lucky to be alive to see both the King Joey era and then the Fergie era. 

Couldn’t agree more with all you have said.

19 hours ago, DeltaRay1903 said:

I had the game on tape. Was it the club that sold it I really don't remember but it did have an official printed cover. What struck me most about it was how different the atmosphere was watching it on telly compared to the absolute bedlam inside the stadium. They must have switched their crowd mikes off or turned them down. Just didn't recreate the actual experience at all. 

That's correct the club were selling Grampian Television VHS videos of the game at the semi final  I've still got it