Whom Should JT Retain?

Our players have been generally shite this season but whom have had enough about them to be retained by Jimmy, b4 signing a clutch of players we most definitely need?

Not many I suspect.

Me? I would retain McKenzie, Ruby, MacDonald, McGrath, Polvara, Clarkson and perhaps Duk, if he can be focused again, and Devlin from the current match day squad. 

However the rest, including Shinnie, may have to be moved on unless Jimmy can see something in them.

Don't get me wrong I have been a big fan of Shinnie in the past but he now appears like Hayes, and is past his sell buy date. 

Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

Our players have been generally shite this season but whom have had enough about them to be retained by Jimmy, b4 signing a clutch of players we most definitely need?

Not many I suspect.

Me? I would retain McKenzie, Ruby, MacDonald, McGrath, Polvara, Clarkson and perhaps Duk, if he can be focused again, and Devlin from the current match day squad. 

However the rest, including Shinnie, may have to be moved on unless Jimmy can see something in them.

Don't get me wrong I have been a big fan of Shinnie in the past but he now appears like Hayes, and is past his sell buy date. 

Thoughts?

The problem with Shinnie (and I agree with you) is that he’s on £7k a week, till summer 2026. He’s not getting that dough anywhere else, so going to be an expensive redundancy package he’ll be entitled to.

Regarding the rest, all depends on how much dosh Jimmy is given to reshape the squad. I suspect irrespective of that, it’s going to take him 3 or 4 windows to totally readjust the squad. 

If he’s playing 433, then the full back areas might be more pressing a need than the centre backs, this summer. No way will Devlin fit the profile although he’ll probably get kept on for cover 

23 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

The problem with Shinnie (and I agree with you) is that he’s on £7k a week, till summer 2026. He’s not getting that dough anywhere else, so going to be an expensive redundancy package he’ll be entitled to.

Regarding the rest, all depends on how much dosh Jimmy is given to reshape the squad. I suspect irrespective of that, it’s going to take him 3 or 4 windows to totally readjust the squad. 

If he’s playing 433, then the full back areas might be more pressing a need than the centre backs, this summer. No way will Devlin fit the profile although he’ll probably get kept on for cover 

You must be forgetting that Jayden Richardson is coming back after tearing up League 2. On the bench. For 2 different teams.

1 minute ago, Russell said:

Wonder if McGarry could be a winger for next season? Allegedly came over with good attacking stats, definitely can't be trusted at the back.

That's not quite true, his stats were slightly better in an attacking sense but not anything to get excited by.

I think we have to see how some of these players perform under Thelin first as some of them could turn things around a bit and he’s a manager who has really changed the careers of his players it seems.

Others are obviously just not going to make it and should be the first to go.

We also have a load of players out on loan, are we assuming all of the older ones are not coming back or…?

Hopefully he has been looking at video footage of the players and looking at the stats of how we are playing because apparently he is a stats guy , he may want to see the players train see if they are up for the challenge, apart from bojan and duk I don’t see much in terms of teams wanting our players , in my opinion the ones that stay I reckon are 

bojan (if not sold ) , duk(if not sold ) , Dante, ruby, devlin, macdonald, McGrath, Clarkson, sockler , Mackenzie, Milne , shinnie, Jensen , Doohan, mcgarry

pape and  Vinny may get kept , the rest will be gone or loaned out 

All the players who are out of contract will go.

There's players in an ideal world we'd keep but if we are to maximise their value while other clubs want them we will sell (e.g. Miovski, Duk)

There's players we'd probably like to move on but the problem is finding someone who wants to buy them at a price we're willing to accept (e.g. Morris, Richardson, Vinnie)

We'll need to prioritise certain areas which might mean we'll hang on to some players as squad players we might otherwise have tried to move on.

Assuming all the players out of contract are leaving and Bojan and Duk will be sold, of the current match day squad I'd keep McKenzie, Ruby, MacDonald, Devlin, McGrath, Polvara, Clarkson, Shinnie (although like others I think the 3 year contract for Shinnie was a mistake.  2 years would have been enough and then he could have retired gracefully at the end of next season).

I think we'll bring in 8 or 9 in the summer to make up the first team squad and most of them I would expect to be in the first XI.  Maybe another couple in Jan when the scando leagues are finished and their players become out of contract.

I think we'll hang on to guys like Doohan, Jensen, Sokler, McGarry, and Duncan as cover for at least a season until their contracts run out or will be moved on in the summer 2025 window.

Hopefully a couple of the youngsters like Bavidge, Milne, and Marshall will make the step up and get a few games (and goals) 

Fuck knows how we manage to move on the likes of Morris, Richardson, Vinnie, Gueye at a price that allows us to at least recover some of the outlay.

8 minutes ago, ERNIE said:

Ha! With the right manager,Watkins and Kennedy have taken their team much higher than   a team with Myovski and Duk.Who would have thought it?

WTF do you mean with the right manager?  Darling Derek signed them for us and they were shit when he played them.

• Thanks 1

Devlin as backup

Mackenzie as strictly back up

Rubezic 

Barron if he signs a contract

Clarkson who I think will return to form with better players around him

Shinnie as a squad player

McGrath as a squad player

Duk if he wants to, as I can see him exploding onto form again

Miovski will probably be away to raise funds 

That's genuinely it

Every single other one can get tae

• Upvote 2
30 minutes ago, RabidGiraffe said:

WTF do you mean with the right manager?  Darling Derek signed them for us and they were shit when he played them.

So maybe some of the players that haven't played  that well for us this season might be ok with Thelin as manager...

1 minute ago, ERNIE said:

So maybe some of the players that haven't played  that well for us this season might be ok with Thelin as manager...

Of course they will

Clarkson is the classic example

He's completely lost his way, but we know he is a right good player

Same with Duk too

• Upvote 3
19 minutes ago, ERNIE said:

No doubt, almost always the case that certain players do better with certain managers.

Clarkson and Duk have been the most disappointing players for me this season because we know they can do better.  Maybe Thelin is a man who can get them back to their best.

Maybe there's a couple of other players in the squad who are actually much better than we've seen and they just need the right manager/coach to bring it out of them.