Whom Should JT Retain?

6 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

He should keep the players who are able to fit into the formation and style he wants to play. I've no idea who they are as I'm not sure exactly how he'll set up.

Some are talented, technically good players like Barron, Clarkson, Polvara, McGrath, Besoujin, Duk, Miovski - I'd guess at least 3 of them will be gone anyway. 

Who to get rid of is easier, as some are just not good enough regardless of formation and style - Richardson, Stewart, Gartenmann, Morris, Duncan, Gueye etc

Others like Roos, Doohan, Jensen, MacDonald, MacKenzie, Sokler are average at best but might be good enough as squad fillers.

Harsh on McDonald.  Don't think it's a coincidence we've started keeping clean sheets since he came back in.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 9

Bojan Mivoski - For obvious reasons

Duk - Might come good again

Angus Mcdonald - Decent even as cover

Rubezic - Needs another season

McGrath - Been one of ouor best players this season, Not hard though 

Clarkson - Might come good again 

Polvara - Young and came on leaps and bounds since joining 

Sokler? - Needs a proper go at it

(Might get pelters for this one, but under correct management could be a player) Besuijen

That's it for me really.

1 hour ago, NEM said:

Harsh on McDonald.  Don't think it's a coincidence we've started keeping clean sheets since he came back in.

Same.

I think he would have helped Ruby settle in quicker as well if those 2 had been our CB pairing all season rather than sticking with the back 3 like we did for so long 

• Upvote 1

I don't think that there's any doubt that the majority of players who failed spectacularly this season will start next season.

Roos, Gartenmann and Barron will be gone. Who knows if we'll sell Bojan and/or Duk.

It's up to Thelin to get a tune out of under-performers like Clarkson and Duk (if he stays).

I would imagine/hope that Alfie Bavidge will be back in 1st team contention, because we need some competition up there. 

I have a feeling that we've seen the last of Stewart, Richardson, Gueye and Vinnie (who deserved to be treated better under Robson).

That leaves Thelin with the job of finding a new keeper, at least 1 central defender, a strong central midfielder, some width in the team going forward, and possibly at least one first choice striker.

I'm intrigued to see if he'll go back into the Scandinavian market and look for players that he knows.

9 hours ago, ERNIE said:

The 3 0 game against St Mirren last season showed what Watkins could do when he came on for Miovski and got most of the game rather than the last 10 mins.Underrated here but showing what he is capable off at Killie now.

Some amazing revisionism going on here. It was precisely because he was shite that he was only getting the last ten minutes. 

Watkins wasn't good enough for Aberdeen.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Granite95 said:

Roos on the evening news saying he’s hoping to get an extension to his current deal

I’m also hoping to take Dua Lipa out for dinner tomorrow night  

Explains why he's been playing better the last couple of matches after being shite all season.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Schapenneuker said:

I don't think that there's any doubt that the majority of players who failed spectacularly this season will start next season.

Roos, Gartenmann and Barron will be gone. Who knows if we'll sell Bojan and/or Duk.

It's up to Thelin to get a tune out of under-performers like Clarkson and Duk (if he stays).

I would imagine/hope that Alfie Bavidge will be back in 1st team contention, because we need some competition up there. 

I have a feeling that we've seen the last of Stewart, Richardson, Gueye and Vinnie (who deserved to be treated better under Robson).

That leaves Thelin with the job of finding a new keeper, at least 1 central defender, a strong central midfielder, some width in the team going forward, and possibly at least one first choice striker.

I'm intrigued to see if he'll go back into the Scandinavian market and look for players that he knows.

I don't think that there is any doubt that Jimmy will be tempted to recruit at least a couple of players from a market he knows well. A goalkeeper and a defender would be great. 

23 minutes ago, Granite95 said:

Roos on the evening news saying he’s hoping to get an extension to his current deal

There was an extension offer on the table for him was there not? I’m hoping it’s no longer on offer. 

Seems like other teams have watched how shite he is & nobody’s picking up to his agent, so he’s now fancying staying put.  

No thanks.

I’d keep doohan, devlin, ruby, macdonald, Mackenzie, shinnie, Barron, Clarkson, McGrath, polvara, duk, miovski for definite probably jenson as back up 

4 or 5 good decent signings and the young lads and we should do alright with jimmy as manager. 

Thelin has a reputation for transforming players careers so I think we have to let him try to work his magic on whoever he thinks can be improved.

Obviously there are some serious lost causes as well but who knows what might happen for some players we’ve previously written off.

12 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

Apparently  the goal keeper he has at Elfsborg  is Icelandic  and is supposed  to be superb

Am I missing a woosh here?

They've got Pettersson (Swedish), Sörensen (Danish) & Uppenberg (Swedish)

21 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

Apparently  the goal keeper he has at Elfsborg  is Icelandic  and is supposed  to be superb

They do however have an Icelandic midfielder, Andri Fannar Baldursson, on loan from Bologna whose loan is due to expire on June 30th. 

1 hour ago, Granite95 said:

That useless cunt can get fucked, he doesn’t deserve a contract extension even as a backup.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Medw1311 said:

Hopefully really does show that Jimmy has an eye for a player.

Interesting that he also seems to have looked at Africa for players as they have 3 Ghanaians, 1 Kenyan & 1 Nigerian in their squad.

I've been poking around looking at the squads of various Scandinavian teams recently and it seems pretty common for them to have a few players from Africa.  Much more so than players from Europe, which struck me as odd.  I'm guessing Scando teams have a policy of scouting Africa for bargains.  

1 hour ago, Medw1311 said:

Hopefully really does show that Jimmy has an eye for a player.

Interesting that he also seems to have looked at Africa for players as they have 3 Ghanaians, 1 Kenyan & 1 Nigerian in their squad.

I think that's more to do with agreements between African and certain EU countries as part of the Cotonou Agreement as well as refugee resettlement, but not 100% sure. Visa rules are more relaxed. There's a few clubs in Scandinavia like Midtjylland in Denmark with links to clubs and scouting in West Africa. Stabaek in Norway plucked Nigerian wonderkid Gift Orban from obscurity there.

One of those Ghanaians, Michael Baidoo, seems to be Elfsborg's main attacking focal point and scores from midfield. Just as likely they will be Africans already playing in Scandinavia.

Loads of Kosovans as well. Probably for similar reasons there's so many Albanians playing for Switzerland.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, ericblack4boss said:

He was sold to Brentford in January.

Edit: I see someone said that already.

16 minutes ago, Belabedlam said:

I think that's more to do with agreements between African and certain EU countries as part of the Cotonou Agreement as well as refugee resettlement, but not 100% sure. Visa rules are more relaxed. There's a few clubs in Scandinavia like Midtjylland in Denmark with links to clubs and scouting in West Africa. Stabaek in Norway plucked Nigerian wonderkid Gift Orban from obscurity there.

One of those Ghanaians, Michael Baidoo, seems to be Elfsborg's main attacking focal point and scores from midfield. Just as likely they will be Africans already playing in Scandinavia.

Loads of Kosovans as well. Probably for similar reasons there's so many Albanians playing for Switzerland.

Their number 10? I've been watching highlights from Elfsborg games on YT and as you say a lot of their attacking play involves him.  Scores some cracking goals too.

11 hours ago, C'monEweReds said:

(Might get pelters for this one, but under correct management could be a player) Besuijen

That's it for me really.

6 hours ago, ABERDEENROWIE1903 said:
18 hours ago, C'monEweReds said:

That's it for me really.

Confused

12 hours ago, Glass half full said:

The amount of people on this thread that don’t want to keep Shinnie, McKenzie and McDonald says a lot about the people who post on here.

Either don’t go to games or are keyboard warriors with little understanding of football beyond computer games. 

I have a feeling that MacKenzie will come on leaps and bounds under Thelin. 

Out of all our players, I would say that he's the only one that's improved himself this season. He'll only get better under a proper coach. 

He'll hopefully be in position to only keep who he feels can do a job but might take 2 or 3 windows or longer to clear out who he doesn't rate due to contracts they've got and sheer numbers we could really need to replace