Whom Should JT Retain?

1 hour ago, minijc said:

The errors haven't stopped though have they?  Probably variance and we aren't getting as punished as we were at various times throughout the season.

Aye it's nae like the previous manager hadn't used him there a few times, wonder who will have told him he could possibly play that role.

3 clean sheets out of 5 can’t just be down to luck? Compared to Warnocks 1 out of 9 (against a team of jobbers).

The team have clearly improved a bit since Warnock left. He knocked their confidence more than it already was and as much as I’ve hated some of these players and think they should be stronger, it was the complete wrong way of going about it. 

Just now, DelMonte said:

3 clean sheets out of 5 can’t just be down to luck? Compared to Warnocks 1 out of 9 (against a team of jobbers).

The team have clearly improved a bit since Warnock left. He knocked their confidence more than it already was and as much as I’ve hated some of these players and think they should be stronger, it was the complete wrong way of going about it. 

Nope not saying it's down to luck, we have definitely improved but I don't think you can say the individual errors have stopped, plenty have stilled happened, even the two goals we've conceded have came from shite individual errors.

Not in the league of course but look at saturday as well, if anything it shows how poor our squad is, just at times we will get the benefit and not lose the cheap goal.

10 minutes ago, minijc said:

Nope not saying it's down to luck, we have definitely improved but I don't think you can say the individual errors have stopped, plenty have stilled happened, even the two goals we've conceded have came from shite individual errors.

Not in the league of course but look at saturday as well, if anything it shows how poor our squad is, just at times we will get the benefit and not lose the cheap goal.

Yeah, to be fair, I said they haven’t happened as much, not that they’ve been cut out.

Warnock blamed the players constantly but Leven has shown him up big time. Confidence is a huge factor and Warnock sucked it out of them. 

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Yeah, to be fair, I said they haven’t happened as much, not that they’ve been cut out.

Warnock blamed the players constantly but Leven has shown him up big time. Confidence is a huge factor and Warnock sucked it out of them. 

Yeah that's fair, I would say though Warnock will have done what he's done at every other club, so I wouldn't say he was wrong to do what has served him well in the past.

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, G31DON said:

As soon as Warnock lined up with Morris as RWB v Motherwell I knew it wasn't going to end well. To have managed 1000 games and come up with that game plan beggars belief.

Possibly the worst starting 11 choice I have ever seen a manager make. 1 centre half as well

Forget about retaining right now and just have a think of who is returning for pre-season training.

Assuming Stewart, Ngwenya, Gartenmann, Phillips, Roos, Barron, Hoilett and Hayes will all leave after the next 5 games.

GK - Doohan and Ritchie. 

RB - Devlin, Milne and Richardson

CB - Rubezic, MacDonald, Jensen and Milne

LB - Mackenzie, Jensen and McGarry

CM - Shinnie, Clarkson, McGrath and Polvara

Wingers/Attackers - Besuijen, Morris, Duncan and Duk

Strikers - Miovski, Duk, Sokler, Gueye and Bavidge

So first things first the huge priorities are going to be getting a first choice keeper and a first choice winger signed before pre-season starts. Absolute negligence if they dont manage that.

Looking at that squad unless someone wants to pay the majority of wages for Richardson or Morris I'd be keeping everyone until weve got a good 5-6 in the door.

49 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Forget about retaining right now and just have a think of who is returning for pre-season training.

Assuming Stewart, Ngwenya, Gartenmann, Phillips, Roos, Barron, Hoilett and Hayes will all leave after the next 5 games.

GK - Doohan and Ritchie. 

So first things first the huge priorities are going to be getting a first choice keeper and a first choice winger signed before pre-season starts. Absolute negligence if they dont manage that.

Looking at that squad unless someone wants to pay the majority of wages for Richardson or Morris I'd be keeping everyone until weve got a good 5-6 in the door.

That's a sobering list, Tord.  Still surprises me that some folk think we only need a few players rather than major surgery. 

Lots of new players required, especially if/when Mio and Duk depart as expected. 

23 hours ago, Tord31 said:

GK - Doohan and Ritchie. 

I notice Jonny is in the frame to be given the Celtic U18 head coach job

On 4/23/2024 at 11:45 AM, Tord31 said:

GK - Doohan and Ritchie. 

I'd add McGrath to your Wingers/Attackers list given that's where he's played most of this season.  Clarkson too. Or make a distinction between wingers and attacking midfielders (I'd have the four you list as wingers then McGrath and Clarkson as attacking midfielders).  Add young Murray to the CM for next year too.

New first choice GK definitely top priority, plus a winger, especially if Duk does go.  And if he does that'll mean two new first choice wingers (one for each side) with possibly two of Duncan, Vinnie, and Morris as back up (though would prefer to see Vinnie and Morris moved on).  Bavidge could also play wide, he has done on a few occasions for Kelty.

Next priority is a robust CB and a similarly robust couple of CMs

If Miovski goes then lets see what Sokler can do in pre-season.  If he's so-so then get another number 9, especially if we can loan out or sell Gueye.

After that for me it's a RB, LB and back-up GK, but I wouldn't expect to see any of them until January at the earliest, more likely next summer.

All the above assumes 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3.

• Upvote 1

https://twitter.com/Angus_Mac15/status/1784629581355340285

Got me checking how many we've conceded with him in the team in the league.

I make it 12 in 1099 minutes not including any injury time. 8 if you remove penalties. That would be a goal conceded every 137 minutes, must be the best of any centre back by a country mile and nowhere near a coincidence. Weirdly still seems to get singled out by a section any time he puts a foot wrong. He should clearly be first choice in the defence next season and should have been this season too.

• Upvote 1
On 4/23/2024 at 11:45 AM, Tord31 said:

GK - Doohan and Ritchie. 

An interesting squad. Players like Polvara, McGrath, Sokler, Shinnie, MacKenzie are decent to an extent, but should they be starting next season? That’s a different question.

In my opinion, we’re needing a new keeper, centre back, left back, defensive midfielder, winger and striker (if miovski leaves) all with the ability to come in and be a strong starter. Would leave a team looking like:

New GK

Devlin, Macdonald, New LCB, New LB

New Dm, Polvara?

Duk/McGrath, Clarkson, New Winger

Miovski/New Striker

Will be interesting to see if Besuijen is given another chance, and if he is, can he show any reasonable form.

Jensen, McGarry and Richardson should be priority to bin.

• Upvote 2

I suspect there will be a few players folk want shot of who will still feature next season. 

I’d rather that we prioritise quality over a full scale revamp of the squad. It’s not like we’re going to go out and sign half a dozen players who are going to be a cut above what we’ve got already. 

The standard of the league is shite (see Killie and St Mirren) so I’m sure some of the less celebrated players can still do a job. It’s going to take more than one season to build the team the new manager wants. 

5 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

Depends on his wage. If it was ridiculous as NW panicked. I wouldn’t keep him

3 minutes ago, Johnnyred1 said:

Hoilett would be ideal for a Motherwell or a Dundee but if we are serious about massively improving next season, we need  faster and better wingers.

Pretty sad that a 33 year old has probably been our most effective winger. Nae expecting him to start every week but if Thelin uses 4 wingers I'd rather he was one of them than Morris.

• Upvote 3
15 minutes ago, Johnnyred1 said:

Hoilett would be ideal for a Motherwell or a Dundee but if we are serious about massively improving next season, we need  faster and better wingers.

Probably of equal importance is Jimmy getting the finance to bin off Morris, Richardson, McGarry and Jensen, to allow him the space to bring in reinforcements in their positions.

If he’s not given the licence to do that (albeit it’s going to cost the club significantly) then he’s on the back foot straight from the off.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

Jack Milne will surely be integrated into the 1st team next season; in fact, with relegation fears all but gone, hopefully we’ll see more of him over the remaining games this season. Whether that’s at right back,  centre half or centre mid, who knows?

We've seen so little of him, but for sure, personally when I've seen him, he's looked fucking decent.

The tim game and some away one in Scandinavia against some cunts.

Should def start the hoor in one or two of our remaning games.

As for the wingers, Morris obviously can't play football, and Hoillet, for all his decent crossing and technical ability, he's never a starter in Thelin's purported Gegenpress system. Nowhere near it.

At best, keep Hoillet as impact sub, get Morris to fuck, and buy 3 x wingers.

That cunt fae Killie for starters. 

1 minute ago, sooth_stander said:

Probably of equal importance is Jimmy getting the finance to bin off Morris, Richardson, McGarry and Jensen, to allow him the space to bring in reinforcements in their positions.

If he’s not given the licence to do that (albeit it’s going to cost the club significantly) then he’s on the back foot straight from the off.

I’d be definitely getting morris away even just a season loan to see him at a lower level where he has to fight more

10 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

We've seen so little of him, but for sure, personally when I've seen him, he's looked fucking decent.

The tim game and some away one in Scandinavia against some cunts.

Should def start the hoor in one or two of our remaning games.

As for the wingers, Morris obviously can't play football, and Hoillet, for all his decent crossing and technical ability, he's never a starter in Thelin's purported Gegenpress system. Nowhere near it.

At best, keep Hoillet as impact sub, get Morris to fuck, and buy 3 x wingers.

That cunt fae Killie for starters. 

How much do you think it would cost to sign that cunt fae Killie? Half a mill?