Keepers at penalties.

What's is the hat view on the keepers tactics at penalties especially  shoot outs.

Pick a direction and dive .

Or wait until kicked then dive 

I'm always  the latter,  in every  shoot out at least one us put straight  down the middle, so keeper can just let it hit then.

Also the only place the kicker can put it and know the keeper  won't get it is high into a corner, I've yet to see one saved  going there.

Study form surely? In a pressured situation most players will go their favoured way? Be interesting if we actually did any work on penalties yesterday. 

Always mind mcinnes saying penalties are not a lottery and are all about trusting your technique and agree with this

For us to score 5 out of 7 pens without Miovski, Duk and Barron and for us to get 6 out of 7 pens on target was probably good enough.

That was good enough to leave it in the hands of the gods whether they'd miss /keeper would save any/some. 

Don’t get cramp before your team are about to take a penalty, especially if the person taking said penalty is a young lad (and not the greatest of players) as it just adds pressure. 

Convinced we’d have won if Duncan could have walked up and just hit it instead of fucking about. 

• Upvote 3
9 minutes ago, RUL said:

Study form surely? In a pressured situation most players will go their favoured way? Be interesting if we actually did any work on penalties yesterday. 

Always mind mcinnes saying penalties are not a lottery and are all about trusting your technique and agree with this

Looked like almost all the takers waited till Roos dived and put it in opposite corner. 

2 minutes ago, RUL said:

The study of form only works for maybe one or two kickers only though. 
The majority of takers won’t have much of a history to go on?  
O’Riley had only taken 1 before - the “Panenka” at the bastard garden. 

Sometimes a players body positioning makes it obvious. 
Killian Phillips yesterday for example. 
I know players can “lean” like they’re putting it one way & then close their foot & go the opposite way but it looked obvious to me where Phillips was going.

That all said, it was some achievement for Roos to go the wrong way 6 times out of 7.  
With his record of (not) saving penalties, I was never confident he’d save any.

I take penalties regularly. 

Pace into the corner every time is my tactic.

Keeper can guess right from time to time and get his hands on the ball but pace usually wins the day.

Professional footballers should be trainable to do likewise. 

Granted that thousands of folk are not watching me take my penalties though 🤣.

20 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

What's is the hat view on the keepers tactics at penalties especially  shoot outs.

Pick a direction and dive .

Or wait until kicked then dive 

I'm always  the latter,  in every  shoot out at least one us put straight  down the middle, so keeper can just let it hit then.

Also the only place the kicker can put it and know the keeper  won't get it is high into a corner, I've yet to see one saved  going there.

Look at the Madrid keeper against Man City.  He waited and didn't even have to move for Bernardo Silva's penalty. 

9 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

Another thing about pens.

Does nobody practice putting it high and in the corner anymore? It's all low and in the corner. More chance of keeper saving those in my opinion. Keep them high and on target and you'll score.

Aye when's the last time you saw a keeper from a standing start middle of his goal jump up and save one in top corner?

5 minutes ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

I take penalties regularly. 

Pace into the corner every time is my tactic.

Keeper can guess right from time to time and get his hands on the ball but pace usually wins the day.

Professional footballers should be trainable to do likewise. 

Granted that thousands of folk are not watching me take my penalties though 🤣.

Aye, no difference between Sheddocksley Park in front of two men & a dog, to Hampden in front of 50,000 😄

3 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

Just picking a side and diving full length should stop a minimum of 1 in 5. Same with waiting for one down the middle. Pens aren’t a lottery.

Not shrinking to around 3ft in height should also be expected.

I agree. 
Penalties are absolutely NOT a lottery. 
It’s a complete cliche trotted out by players, coaches & managers, with no rationale or thought. 

Technique & mental strength are not a lottery.

16 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Roos should’ve saved Bernardo’s pen.

Then again Hart should’ve saved MacDonald’s & Milne’s. 

Crisp packet hands should’ve saved that one, Idah pen was just off centre and easily saved if that stupid idiot doesn’t dive the wrong way before Idah has even touched the ball

22 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Aye two of our penalties were incredibly fortunate to go in. Unfortunately most of Celtic penalties were actually decent.

So frustrating but the end of the game yesterday showed how little strength in depth there is in the squad, Barron was dead on his feet for 15 mins before Leven reluctantly turned to Duncan. 

23 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Definitely got lucky with those two. Poor keeping from Hart. If only Duncan had stuck his away that would have been the shoot out from hell for Hart. 

Just now, Proud Dandy said:

Aye two of our penalties were incredibly fortunate to go in. Unfortunately most of Celtic penalties were actually decent.

So frustrating but the end of the game yesterday showed how little strength in depth there is in the squad, Barron was dead on his feet for 15 mins before Leven reluctantly turned to Duncan. 

Which is a shame as I'd have expected Barron to take and score his pen (straight swop of pen takers assumed)

8 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Maybe a goal keeping coach is the answer.

I see Craig Samson instructing the forwards more then he does Kelle Roos.

Surely during the week before a semi final he would work with Roos on penalties and perhaps study where most Celtic player put them.

Just a thought instead of diving out of the way of every penalty before it’s even been taken.