8 hours ago, redone said:

If the ref hadn’t even given a foul I wouldn’t have been up in arms about it.  The Motherwell lad was clearly focussed only on getting the ball and he got there first. I’m pretty sure he didn’t know exactly where McKenzie was, or how he was going in about to try to win the ball.

Just two committed players going for the ball.

Difference with challenges like Shinnie’s at Ross County is that he knew exactly where the opponent was and that he would almost inevitably follow through in to him with some considerable force even if he won the ball.

Hi, is that 1980? It's 2024 calling to tell you it's a clear red card. 

8 hours ago, redone said:

If the ref hadn’t even given a foul I wouldn’t have been up in arms about it.  The Motherwell lad was clearly focussed only on getting the ball and he got there first. I’m pretty sure he didn’t know exactly where McKenzie was, or how he was going in about to try to win the ball.

Just two committed players going for the ball.

Difference with challenges like Shinnie’s at Ross County is that he knew exactly where the opponent was and that he would almost inevitably follow through in to him with some considerable force even if he won the ball.

That's an interesting take on things. One that suggests that you can do what you want in a football game as long as you say 'well, I tried to get the ball'. 

If the Motherwell player truly doesn't know that Mackenzie is there when he comes in with a straight leg at waist height, that's his fault, not the referee's. 

The vast majority of red cards for violent conduct are not deliberate. They're mainly slightly out of control tackles that were executed poorly, but with the intention of getting the ball. 

That's exactly what happened in this case. 

For what it's worth, if he had been yellow carded I wouldn't have complained about it. But I can fully understand why the referee chose a red card, and I'd be stunned if this was overturned. I think it's far more likely that Motherwell's appeal ends up with the player getting an increased suspension. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

So today I have read two ex referees saying the Motherwell player is a red card in today's modern football. The fact it is un intentional is irrelevant . So yet again I watch a highlights package and the " experts " or  "pundits " appear not to know the laws of football. Surely these guys have to brush up on their knowledge before being paid for their opinion or producers must consider an ex referees opinion.

Surprisingly experts seem to be chosen with an association with an old firm club rather than for insightful knowledge. Not just a BBC issue as a pundit recently stated on REDTV  " not sure what the rules say about this " in relation to a penalty incident ( handball or not ).

14 minutes ago, davierobb said:

So today I have read two ex referees saying the Motherwell player is a red card in today's modern football. The fact it is un intentional is irrelevant . So yet again I watch a highlights package and the " experts " or  "pundits " appear not to know the laws of football. Surely these guys have to brush up on their knowledge before being paid for their opinion or producers must consider an ex referees opinion.

Surprisingly experts seem to be chosen with an association with an old firm club rather than for insightful knowledge. Not just a BBC issue as a pundit recently stated on REDTV  " not sure what the rules say about this " in relation to a penalty incident ( handball or not ).

Which "old firm" club did Lee Miller play for again?

• Dildo 1
1 hour ago, davierobb said:

I don't think it's a state secret that almost all ex-players that pop up in the media are thick as shite and have little or no knowledge of the laws of the game. 

Same applies to most current players. 

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Parklife said:

Hi, is that 1980? It's 2024 calling to tell you it's a clear red card. 

Doubt if you’d have to go back anywhere near 1980 for the outcome from that sort of incident to be a straightforward “play on….get on wi’ it!”

30 minutes ago, RDS said:

Red card appeal dismissed but no added game for frivolous appeal aka The Shinnie Rule

I'm sure if they'd been appealing against a decision vs the Filth the 'frivolous appeal' shite would have been yanked out as a message to other wee teams that might have ideas above their station. 

• Dildo 1
31 minutes ago, RDS said:

Red card appeal dismissed but no added game for frivolous appeal aka The Shinnie Rule

The club need to call the SFA out publicly now.

Plenty examples since of far more ‘frivalous’ appeals that have gone unpunished that can be used to highlight just how fucking corrupt they are.