The Golf Thread

Oh, in case I forget to mention, Royal Dunecht Open, Sunday 21st August, times going fast, better get booked up now :checkit:

Nigg bay open this sunday. Good few spaces available early or after 12.

Fatshaft u in? Could pair you with your buddy?

Anyone else interested send me a pm on here or entry form on

Northeastgolfdraws website

here nigg bay nae in a good way. loads of ppl i know slagging the tees and the greens

here nigg bay nae in a good way. loads of ppl i know slagging the tees and the greens

Tees have been same shape for 10 years. Greens not the worst but were fertilised so look crap this past week. Also people need to remember we had snow bit too long ago and it's still April so mist greens are rather poor at this tine of year. Will be good for Sunday though.

Playing the Newburgh Texas-cheatathon DC or I would have.

How come it's now just a one day event?

Bro in law was just in, was telling him about my problem, he reckons it's my grip as he used to do the same thing.

I am naturally left to right, but was going way right for a while there. Went and got a few lessons and the first thing was a change of grip. It sorted my game out a fair bit. Make sure you are following through with your swing, it makes all the difference.

Ha ha rocket In defensive mode. Brilliant. I wasn't the one quoting ridiculous stats of how i would perform at Peterheed! I just had the confidence that over 36 I could shoot lower.

I must admit it probably would of intimated many people as also noticed your other playing partner never scored too well AM either! Course was good and I plan to try get back up to the 36 hole open later on in the year.

im wondering how u managed 120odd at the Links, you have a long long way to go mini

:dontknow:

Trying too hard I would say, was trying to smash every drive without taking my time but when i did you could see the difference, think is it the 15th that's a par 5? Well by taking my time I got a to me anyways, perfect drive leaving 170 to the pin, f**ked the second shot as I rushed it, putting was just horrid, atleast a 3 putt every hole, just need to slow it down more, will hopefully get another round in this week.

Rocket, a little bit of advice required from yourself.....

I've worked on my swing in connection with my driving, and I'm getting good distance, my fairway play is improving also, however I'm struggling MAJORLY with my pitching / chip and putt, I can never read it whatsoever, and it's seriously letting my game down badly.

Is there a coach you can recommend to JUST solely work on that aspect of my game? If so, can you advise?

Not sure about a coach, but the short game practice facilities down at Aspire are absolutely top class.

Newburgh scramble today, beautiful day of course. Hadn't played there since the first year they opened the new 9 which I thought was sh*te, but it's come along nicely since then, and I was reasonably impressed.

Clubhouse is very impressive, needs a few carpets in the upstairs lounge though.

• 2 weeks later...

Picking up my new set of irons this morning. Wilson fatshafts.

Have been playing with an old set of Pings for the last couple of years and not really getting anywhere with them. Until yesterday when I went round Loch Ness in 83. Ten shots better than my best. Could have been even better,but 3 putted 3 times when on the green in 2.

Tempted to stick with the Pings now.

Any thoughts?

Picking up my new set of irons this morning. Wilson fatshafts.

Have been playing with an old set of Pings for the last couple of years and not really getting anywhere with them. Until yesterday when I went round Loch Ness in 83. Ten shots better than my best. Could have been even better,but 3 putted 3 times when on the green in 2.

Tempted to stick with the Pings now.

Any thoughts?

Fatshafts (my good self excluded :checkit: ) are sh*te. Have you been fitted? May help, but moving from your Pings to a set of fairly shitey clubs probably won't. If you really wnat to try a good game improver club, try the Cobra S3 Max, they are erchie min.

Played Kintore and McDonald course at Ellon while home last time along with a good few rounds at Cruden Bay.

Kintore is a joy to play, get past those first 2 stinking holes and you have a really nice course. Played it years ago, my 2 ball putter met a sad end on the 16th green. My putting was equally gash this time, that on top of a raging hangover which lasted until the 7th hole meant I didn't score too well but enjoyed it all the same.

I try to play Ellon at least once a year, front 9 is coming on nicely but it just wasn't a patch on Kintore. 17 and 18 are brilliant holes though.

The greens at Cruden Bay are slowly improving, not yet up to standard in my opinion but getting there. It'll be a few years before they are expected to be the finished article, something to do with fazing out one type of grass for another. Other than that the course is looking superb, best time of year to play it IMO.

Planning on playing Newburgh and possibly Duff House next time home, looking forward to both.

Went back to a Ping Anser 2 putter, made a huge difference. I'm leading over the ball more too which has given me more confidence. Also downloaded Golfshot GPS app for the iPhone which is fantastic. Not entirely sure how legal it is for competition golf but it's great for bounce games. Also had a new Mizuno MP-630 Fast Track driver in the bag, getting a lot more distance that I ever got with my old Cobra L4V.

Played Kintore and McDonald course at Ellon while home last time along with a good few rounds at Cruden Bay.

Kintore is a joy to play, get past those first 2 stinking holes and you have a really nice course. Played it years ago, my 2 ball putter met a sad end on the 16th green. My putting was equally gash this time, that on top of a raging hangover which lasted until the 7th hole meant I didn't score too well but enjoyed it all the same.

I try to play Ellon at least once a year, front 9 is coming on nicely but it just wasn't a patch on Kintore. 17 and 18 are brilliant holes though.

The greens at Cruden Bay are slowly improving, not yet up to standard in my opinion but getting there. It'll be a few years before they are expected to be the finished article, something to do with fazing out one type of grass for another. Other than that the course is looking superb, best time of year to play it IMO.

Planning on playing Newburgh and possibly Duff House next time home, looking forward to both.

Went back to a Ping Anser 2 putter, made a huge difference. I'm leading over the ball more too which has given me more confidence. Also downloaded Golfshot GPS app for the iPhone which is fantastic. Not entirely sure how legal it is for competition golf but it's great for bounce games. Also had a new Mizuno MP-630 Fast Track driver in the bag, getting a lot more distance that I ever got with my old Cobra L4V.

gps is legal as far as I know, I have been using skycaddie for 3-4 years now

Took out a 5 day membership for Craibstone, as it's 5 mins away. and had my first 9 holes last night. We pitched up at 7.30pm and course was almost deserted, but is in very good nick.

Think the've lost a lot of members with the change in ownership, but the new owner, bloke that owns Marshall Trailers, is going to have to publicise the club better, if he is going to make money out of this venture, as it's unusual for a course to be that quiet in an evening.

I got a Shotsaver GPS a few weeks ago, must admit they are great, especially when you spray it around like I do! Charged it up yesterday in preparation for the game last night, then left the fecker in the kitchen!

My mate turned up at Kintore with his brand new Motocaddy only to realise he left the battery sitting in his kitchen.

As for GPS on phones, there seems to be a bit of a grey area in the rules and sometimes it comes down to the local rules of the club on whether they are allowed or not. The problem is that distance devices are legal but anything capable of giving the player weather conditions are not and probably all phones capable of running a GPS app will be capable of displaying the weather in some way. I think a lot of clubs take the stance where they put the trust in the player not to use such apps and only use the GPS distance app but I presume some courses don't accept that and ban phones altogether.

I will be speaking to my club pro before I try using it in any competition.