The Golf Thread

Paul, last summer I noticed you were lifting your left heel on your backswing but have now stopped doing so. Was this the coach at the time who got you doing this or just something that you fancied yourself?

Looked bizarre, if you don't mind me saying so :nutter::nutter:

i started lifting my heel when i was seeing bob torrance as bob likes the legs working especially the heel going up on backswing then down on downswing

bob always says if you can dance you can play golf :sheepdance:

paul

Paul, was that a 6 iron you chipped with at 15 on Sunday, running the full length of the green for an up & down?

It would have been 6 single putts to start back but for the oops after a fabulous par 3 tee shot at 13.

You're famous for your Short Game on tour. Too many of the yank pro's in particular never choose the traditional chip and run.

that was 8 iron i used there, we thought the second shot would get a flyer but it came out soft,that pin was close to back edge so couldnt go long

yanks never get the chance to play much chip and runs as rough normally thick around greens

paul

Rory McIlroy, Paul. The real deal? Boy has got a swing to absolutely die for, but I just wander about his attitude, or his work ethic. I kinda think he kinda thinks he's already been there, served his apprenticeship, now gimme the majors.

From a bloke like you who works works works on his game 24/7/365, does he think he doesn't have to put in the hours? Or does he put in the hours?

Wish I had his arrogant bouncy walk on the fairway, I can tell you. Puts you one up already on the 1st tee!

All the best to your oldest boy this week in the Scottish schoolboys

Rory McIlroy, Paul. The real deal? Boy has got a swing to absolutely die for, but I just wander about his attitude, or his work ethic. I kinda think he kinda thinks he's already been there, served his apprenticeship, now gimme the majors.

From a bloke like you who works works works on his game 24/7/365, does he think he doesn't have to put in the hours? Or does he put in the hours?

Wish I had his arrogant bouncy walk on the fairway, I can tell you. Puts you one up already on the 1st tee!

All the best to your oldest boy this week in the Scottish schoolboys

mcllroy is extremly talented and is a good guy, i dont know about his work ethic as dont see him all that often,he is very close to darren clarke so would assume his work ethic very good

i know hes young but he almost needs to step up soon and win a big one as others around him are already

little bit dodgy with the putter which is a worry,but so talented

paul

mcllroy is extremly talented and is a good guy, i dont know about his work ethic as dont see him all that often,he is very close to darren clarke so would assume his work ethic very good

i know hes young but he almost needs to step up soon and win a big one as others around him are already

little bit dodgy with the putter which is a worry,but so talented

paul

Was going to mention McIlroy's putting - looks flawed to me. Looks like he catches the ball off the heel of the putter, and kinda slices across it to make up for that.

Weirdly I had a dream McIlroy made a playoff, but missed an easy putt to win. I woke up at that point, so wish I knew who he was playing in the playoff and who won, as I'd have put money on said person haha. :hysterical:

Missing a putt to win doesnt me he'd wouldnt have eventually won it! Worth an e/w, if you actually believe a dream by yourself would have anything to do with who wins the Masters like. You're nae Millertime :laughing:

After watching Mickelson at the weekend with his bafflingly crazy good up n downs it's his to lose.

He was pretty immense over the weekend, especially on Saturday. However back to back wins are very tough, especially when the scond one is a major, and he's one of only 5 to have ever done it for the Masters, so to do it again......I'm saying na min. Although I will quite probably kick myself come Sunday night.

So for me, I'm going for a guy in a bit of form at the moment, who has Augusta history, 8th last year and 10th in '09, @28/1, Hunter Mahan for me.

Second choice is a guy who won a couple weeks back, and playing well this season and putting superbly, but no real Masters track record which goes against him, but at 33/1 Matt kuchar is a decent bet.

My third choice is the massively long nearly man of last years majors, Dustin Johnston @ 28/1. The guy seems unfazed by anything, and is shagging Gulbis, so seems it's all going right for him at the moment.

Not backing Kaymer who has gone off the boil, and is poor at Augusta, nor Westwood who wasn't great this week, though did fire in a good round on Sunday which may just have been him wakening up in time.

Mahan took 126 putts at Carnoustie when PH won the Open. Second worst of the top 20 was Garcia at 119.

Dustin Johnson is the worst putter I have ever seen in the pro ranks so I am more than happy to offer you 33/1 for each of these two horses.

I consider them both to have zero chance on a course that will expose putting weaknesses. Mahan is great tee to green and despite his top 10's, he just doesn't have a good enough Holing Out ability around here.

EDIT: A little bird tells me that our newest hat poster shot sub 70 this a.m. at Royal Aberdeen. It was absolutely freezing and blowing a hoolie. No way even half a dozen of the Masters field could have done that in today's conditions. Get back to the majors, PL.

Mahan is 30th in putting this season, and has 5 top 10s from 9 starts.

DJ is 35th in putting.

Kuchar btw is 4th in putting.

At the end of Mickelson's round on Sunday he didn't see the usual nonsense when he was interviewed. he was saying how he needed to stay focused and when his mind started to wander he hit a couple of cludgy ones. he sounded like a man who had sussed it out.

he won't win a grand slam, so in that instance i hope kaymer or someone with more of an all round game wins.

Well it's going to be played four, missed four cuts barring a miracle tomorrow but I would love to know what particularly he meant by "this course just doesn't suit him".

I reckon he was right to avoid Kaymer this week but his reasoning is water.

Think it was Bernard Gallacher, he gave more reasons I just can't remember exactly but he did say that the course didn't suit kaymers game, I'm not that much in to my golf so I couldn't say if it does or not but had been betting this weekend I would have probably went in with kaymer after his performance over the year or so.

Course doesn't suit Kaymer because he fades it and Augusta requires a draw-er of the ball.

Seemingly, he spent the last few weeks trying to develop a draw just for this week, which is surprising. You'd have thought the numer 1 player in the world would be able to adapt his game fairly easy to whichever course is put in front of him.

What is wrong with Stenson? Why does Fanny stick with this Swedish fanny?

2011-04-07_2139.png

He is one of the greatest ball strikers ever but his form in recent years is alarming.

Bizarre. When he's good, he's facking good, but he's had dips in his career before where he's struggled to break 80. Come back before so can so so again