Lets All Laugh At The Arabs

I agree, he is a good player, but linking him with Real Madrid is just laughable. Hope the loon is able to laugh it off too.

He's signed with them till 2016, so at least if a bid comes in for him they should get decent money - take note AFC board! We probably lost Fraser, Fyvie and Grimmer for less than a million...

Snodgrass had a trial with Barcelona when he was at Livi so I wouldn't say it was laughable.

We finished the game against Falkirk with Shaughnessy, Jack, Pawlett, Murray, Low and Robertson who all came through the youth ranks but not a word in the media about it

There have been too many false dawns, or maybe false Dons, to allow the Aberdeen fans to get over-excited about their team at this early stage of the season, but there is certainly more than a hint of North-Eastern promise.

I picked them out before the campaign began to occupy a much higher league position than they did last time around and I've seen nothing in recent weeks to make me change my mind.
A playing squad, which looked impressive before a ball was kicked, now looks even bigger and better.
With resources stretched by injuries to automatic picks like Russell Anderson, Barry Robson, Willo Flood and Niall McGinn, Aberdeen have produced a six-match unbeaten run to be fourth in the Premiership and into the League Cup quarter-finals.
It's the success of young home-produced players that has to be the most satisfying.
Ryan Jack is an adaptable Under-21 international who's already had a call-up to the full Scotland squad and he is central to the plans of manager Derek McInnes.
He currently occupies the holding midfield position which he's playing to perfection but you get the feeling there is a whole lot more to come from him.
Progression for pacy Peter Pawlett also seems a certainty. He's become too well-known for flying through the air with the greatest of ease and it is time for him to make a greater impression with his feet on the ground.
He carries a serious attacking threat for Aberdeen whether it's in behind the main striker or out wide.
Cammy Smith is a talented teenager who's going to make it more and more difficult for the manager to leave him out of the team.
Left-back Clark Robertson is another local lad who has come good although there is stiff competition for that position. And Irish Under-21 international Joe Shaughnessy, who has also been carefully developed at Pittodrie, is a stick-on at right-back.
I sense a positive relationship already between McInnes and his players. He looks to be finding the right blend as he slots in some of his summer signings alongside those he inherited when he took over from Craig Brown.
Michael Hector is a useful acquisition on loan from Reading, a tall central defender who can play a bit. I've still to be convinced by Calvin Zola but he certainly gives the team physical presence and a big target at central striker.
Scott Vernon has rediscovered his goals touch, Josh Magennis can be anything between deadly and dreadful and surely the best is still to come from winger Jonny Hayes.
It's when you run through all those names and make mention of notable others like Mark Reynolds, Andy Considine, Jamie Langfield and Gregg Wylde and those previously-mentioned players coming back after injury that you realise there's a lot of depth
to this squad.
It would be crazy and a trifle premature to be making bold predictions at this early point in the season. But if you're an Aberdeen fan, there are definitely one or two good reasons to be cheerful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24360730

• 4 months later...

Not really appropriate for the thread title:

Dundee United have eliminated bank debt in a deal which means the club is no longer under pressure to sell players.

A bank debt of £4m has been wiped out by a group of fans who have partially paid the bank with their own funds.
United had a £3.4m term loan and a £1m overdraft, but chairman Stephen Thompson and the club's board have successfully negotiated a settlement.
The club says the deal has been possible due to the support of sympathetic investors.
BBC Scotland has learned that Thompson has worked closely with the bank in recent years to reduce the Tannadice club's debt to a level which made the settlement possible.
The club's board now feels in a position to operate the business without reliance on bank borrowings.
In recent years, the club has sold some of its key players in a bid to reduce their need for bank borrowing.
Derby County signed striker Johnny Russell from United last summer for a fee of around £750,000 and David Goodwillie was sold to Blackburn Rovers for £2m in 2011.
Midfielder Ryan Gauld, as well as defenders John Souttar and Andrew Robertson, have also been the subject of transfer speculation.
United are about to embark on a lengthy programme of community involvement, the details of which will be announced in the next few weeks, and this is supported by the investors who will now stand in place of the bank.
  • 1 year later...

All is not well at the Arabs it seems.

UNDER-FIRE Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson last night refused to deny claims Jackie McNamara and his coaching staff cashed in on the sales of Stuart Armstrong and Gary Mackay-Steven.

The Tannadice owner is under pressure from fan groups the Arab Trust and the Federations of Dundee United Supporters to explain gaps in the finances following the pair’s transfer deadline-day switch to Celtic.
RecordSport understands the supporters have evidence the management staff are due a percentage of player sales as part of their contract and are preparing to put their names to a public accusation after a meeting next Thursday.
A joint statement from the ArabTrust and Federation of DUSC said they were “shocked” more than £500,000 had been taken out of the transfer fees and paid in commission to third parties – who they believe to be the management staff.
Thompson refuted the £500,000 claim and told RecordSport: “The figure mentioned by the Arab Trust and Federation is completely fictitious and one of many inaccuracies.”
But the United chairman refused to divulge the terms of the contracts of McNamara and his coaching team.
Thompson said: “I can’t confirm or deny anything about Jackie’s contract. That’s confidential.”
But RecordSport understands such deals are in place and the club are privately furious confidential contract arrangements have been allowed to be made public following meetings with the Trust and Federation.
McNamara was appointed boss of United in 2013 on a far lower salary than predecessors Peter Houston and Craig Levein as the United board began a period of cost-cutting.
Managers receiving percentages of sales is thought to be more common in England than Scotland but it’s the timing of the £2m sales that has angered the supporters groups as well as the issue of a conflict of interest.
The departures denied United the opportunity to play Mackay-Steven and Armstrong in the League Cup Final and Scottish Cup quarter-finals – both against Celtic.
Although the decision infuriated fans, it took United’s income from player sales to more than £6m followed the exit of Andy Robertson and Ryan Gauld.
Thompson points to the club debt being slashed to less than £1.5m and bank borrowings being wiped out altogether.
But he has been heavily criticised.
The supporters statement said: “We remain sceptical to whether any progress will be made in the current and future financial years without detriment to the playing side of the club.”
But Thompson hit back and said: “What I would ask is, what are the fans trying to achieve?
“I can’t understand why some people are looking to disrupt the club at a time when we have been successful in staying in the top six, reaching cup finals all while reducing the debt during a challenging period in Scottish football.”
United reacted to the Tuesday attack with a statement of their own.
It said: “All supporters can be assured that the board will continue to implement its professional and
comprehensive strategy for the football club.
“Supporters can rest assured that the board is comprised of individuals that are, without exception, Dundee United supporters. At all times, the board acts to promote the success of Dundee United and will continue to do so.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dundee-united-chief-stephen-thompson-5450443

Interesting wee twist there. Jackie I don't give a fuck Wanknamara discloses that it was actually he who received a bonus for the transfer of GMS and Armstrong to Celtic.

Now first up, when you think about it, it is logical that would be the case to give the manager an incentive to bring on and develop a player.

But having said that, it does of course mean the ex celtic player benefits personally from significantly weakening Ushited and strengthening Celtic.

Do we have a that really sucks smiley?

Shame

• 5 months later...

Interesting wee twist there. Jackie I don't give a fuck Wanknamara discloses that it was actually he who received a bonus for the transfer of GMS and Armstrong to Celtic.

Now first up, when you think about it, it is logical that would be the case to give the manager an incentive to bring on and develop a player.

But having said that, it does of course mean the ex celtic player benefits personally from significantly weakening Ushited and strengthening Celtic.

Do we have a that really sucks smiley?

Shame

I've been making a fuss about this for a while.

It represents total corruption in my opinion. McNamara is effectively an agent of Celtic.

Dundee United should either sack him immediately or change their name to Celtic B in my opinion.

Weren't they above us at this stage last season?

They're in real danger of a relegation battle. Worst United team I've seen since the year they got relegated.

Glad to see this thread resurrected.

Re the bold - I have been thinking that too, and fondly reviewing pleasant memories of their relegation. Especially the footage of their fans weeping the the stands etc :)

It would be great if they got relegated again - they are utter shite who stagnate the league. Notable only for running about in their stupid orange jerseys.

There are other lowly teams - eg Partick - but they at least have a bit of endearing character and authenticity about them, jumpers for goal posts etc.

In contrast, to this day USh*ted dine out on the memory of the fact they used to be mentioned in the same breath as us, some 30 years ago.

As much as I couldn't give a fuck about Utd, it really is a sad thing for Scottish football that Jackie Cocknamara has deliberately sabotaged (with the blessing of his chairman) a team full of promising talent.

Utd could actually have stepped up a level had they had any ambition whatsoever and followed the example McInnes has set at Aberdeen. We could have had us, Hearts, Utd all strong at the top end of the league putting more pressure on the cunts from the East End of Glasgow, but instead that wee snivelling cunt has been quite happy to coin it in and try and help his old team at the same time.

Fortunately, Celtic are still pish and we're goin to win the league.

Funny how the Jutes were all saying (around this time last season) that they'd much rather be in their position than ours. As in all these great potential & great sell on value players as opposed to all our "experienced" pros at or over their high point in their playing careers with next to no sell on value.

Pretty sure they'd much rather be where we are now. Not just league position but having the kind of squad/first team we have. Sell on value or not.

McInnes had the playing side of things as the main area needing strengthening, where as Utd were only concerned about making some young players look good & getting decent cash for them.

They now have no debt fair enough but it's going to take a new manager (& a good one) to get them anywhere near our level again without having to spend more than they have gotten used to.

Realistically who could they bring in that would actually turn their fortunes around? Terry Butcher would be a cert to relegate them whilst he rebuilds the squad. Tango man? Dinna think even United are that stupid/desperate. Maybe someone like Paul Dickov is the best they could hope for, but he's nae exactly much better than Ratnamara either. Unless Thomson is willing to part with some of that cash that they generated in transfer fees (assuming it hasn't all gone into wankstain-wage thieve's pockets) I can't see any decent manager being willing or incentivized enough to actually take them on.

At the moment they're only being saved from the bottom due to Partick's total uselessness, but I can't see how they'll get away from the relegation play-off and I'd even fancy Hibs or Falkirk to hump them in that. This current is shiter than us under McGhee... marvelous :happy: