Boxing Fans

Guest SS RED

Groves saying he's going to KO Froch with a left, hahaha, this guy is an absolute idiot, his only chance of beating Froch is by using his speed and skill and out boxing/scoring Carl for the whole 12 even then he'd have to be really busy to impress the judges.

Groves saying he's going to KO Froch with a left, hahaha, this guy is an absolute idiot, his only chance of beating Froch is by using his speed and skill and out boxing/scoring Carl for the whole 12 even then he'd have to be really busy to impress the judges.

I did see Froch say that he's just going to keep his right over his chin for the whole fight now.

I did see Froch say that he's just going to keep his right over his chin for the whole fight now.

Yeah, when Groves said that Carl turned to his trainer laughing "Yeah I better keep this right up at my chin all night" or something close, if Groves goes in with the mentality that he'll knock Carl out then I think the fight won't last 6 round, I expect Carl to start a lot quicker than the last fight and in a similar manner to his fight against Bute where he was the underdog but absolutely paggered Bute.

Yeah, when Groves said that Carl turned to his trainer laughing "Yeah I better keep this right up at my chin all night" or something close, if Groves goes in with the mentality that he'll knock Carl out then I think the fight won't last 6 round, I expect Carl to start a lot quicker than the last fight and in a similar manner to his fight against Bute where he was the underdog but absolutely paggered Bute.

I told the other half to pick a round. 5th is what she went with. £9 on at 20/1.

I cant see how Froch can improve from the last fight, if he bothered to watch Groves before the last fight, he would have known Groves was a very good boxer, Haye told him, people in the game were telling him, maybe his skysports ego got to him, and he thought he just had to turn up, but I dont buy that, he was ready for the last fight, he just got lucky, no physco-babble manny is going to save Froch.

Froch was a spent force 6 months ago, and he wont be any better come Saturday.

I cant see how Froch can improve from the last fight, if he bothered to watch Groves before the last fight, he would have known Groves was a very good boxer, Haye told him, people in the game were telling him, maybe his skysports ego got to him, and he thought he just had to turn up, but I dont buy that, he was ready for the last fight, he just got lucky, no physco-babble manny is going to save Froch.

A spent force? He underestimated Groves and rightfully so, Groves had done nothing before to worry a fighter of Frochs caliber, if Carl was that much of a spent force he wouldn't have been behind by 1 point on two judges cards nor would he have been able to do what he always does in the money rounds and finish strong, if anything it'll be Groves that doesn't learn anything from the last fight, his comments yesterday allude to that aswell, yes he put Froch down but could he finish him or do it when it mattered? Could he fuck!!

How does Bernard Hopkins keep improving?

Virgil Hunter, who happens to know a thing or two about boxing:

''Froch started landing some hard body shots that people weren't talking about, and he was putting them right on the money. I was talking to Andre about it. I said, "They're not talking about these body shots Froch is hitting him with and he's hitting him right on the money with these body shots. He's getting hit back, but the type of body shots he's allowing Froch to land is gonna have an effect on him." And sure enough, after the 6th round, you could see him physically starting to tire, and Froch started closing the distance on him. You know, Froch, if you don't have an inside game when he swings forward, because his momentum comes forward with his punches. His momentum can knock you off balance; he can wear you down rather quick.

I thought, personally, it was a correct stoppage, and the reason I say that is because, let's face it, if you saw it in slow motion, he hit him 6 times flush. One of those punches was on top of the head right above the ear, and that hook he hit him with in that exchange, Groves never saw it; it literally just snapped his neck around. He was hurt. If I shoot you with a bullet and I know that bullet went into you, I don't need to see you stagger to know you're wounded, you know. A lot of people say, "Well, his legs weren't buckled." That doesn't mean you're not hurt. Now he was hurt. It's always going to be debatable because he was on his feet, but if you look at the course what led to that, the past two rounds led to that situation happening. The reason why he [Froch] was able to get those punches off is because he [Groves] was tiring and he was starting to get to him.

[Rounds] 6 and 7, I saw Froch turn the fight around. Even though it's debatable he lost the rounds, it's almost like Chavez and Meldrick Taylor; the type of punches that Chavez was placing on Meldrick Taylor. I saw this happening in the 8th round, the type of punches that he was hitting Taylor with; that "Boy, I hope he can make it to the finish line because these punches are catching up with him rather quick." But Groves was hurt. He was hurt. And all this career-finishing talk and all this kind of talk, I mean, that's just talk, but I didn't see him making it out of that round if that fight would've continued. He was hurt.

Why it's debatable. I mean, he could've let it go on; I see the points made, but I have to say, I can't fault the ref for stopping the fight. But I think they were saying the 8-count was in effect. If it was, then he made a bad mistake because he should've gave him the 8-count (laughing).''

''Boy was hurt. I mean, you can't give reasons to stop a fight. He turned his back, he disengaged. It's not the punches, Froch never disengaged. His arms dropped, fell into the ref. It was coming. [if] That's my fight and you fall into me, im stopping the fight too.''

Anybody who thinks this was a fair stoppage needs there head read. Froch's only clean punch is the late one after the ref breaks them up before groves retreats back to the ropes, even then groves looks steady and is firing back some controlled punches.

I would actually have Groves winning this round up until the fight was stopped.

Who knows what works gone on but based on the last fight, you would have to imagine at 26 groves has improved, not saying being 36 froch cant improve on the last fight but its highly unlikely that he has improved that much.

Anyhow......... Going to be another close fight, I fancy groves to win it.

• Upvote 1

Anybody who thinks this was a fair stoppage needs there head read. Froch's only clean punch is the late one after the ref breaks them up before groves retreats back to the ropes, even then groves looks steady and is firing back some controlled punches.

I would actually have Groves winning this round up until the fight was stopped.

Who knows what works gone on but based on the last fight, you would have to imagine at 26 groves has improved, not saying being 36 froch cant improve on the last fight but its highly unlikely that he has improved that much.

Anyhow......... Going to be another close fight, I fancy groves to win it.

there's argument for both sides of this debate here. Plenty of current pro's, former pro's, current ref's and former refs have given reasons for and against the stoppage.

I can't remember there ever being so much debate and divided opinion in a british boxing fight.

Looking forward to it.

• Upvote 1

I re-watched the Froch - Jermain Taylor fight recently. Cant believe that was 5 years ago.

Froch was immense in that 12th round, relentless. Wonder if he still has that in him.

I used to like sitting up to watch the late fights. In my Godless days, I remember even forgoing the chance of a ride to sit up and watch the Calzaghe - Lacy fight. I think it was worth it.

Watched 'The Gloves are off', Groves is a pap, I seriously think Carl is in side his head now, he's kept quiet and answered well when he's needed to, GG trying to wind him up doesn't seem to be working this time.

Also just watched the weigh in aswell, Froch looked great and as if he'd just had food moments before the weigh, I've read Alex Arthur saying that the late weigh in was to suit Carl as he finds it easy to get to the weight where as GG has to "make it", he did look a little more gaunt but both in superb condition.

Another thing, seen some saying Froch got "smashed" and "schooled" by Eubanks Jr in sparring, I've watched it twice now and that's not the case, even then, it's only sparring, Froch will be a different monster come the first bell tomorrow.

This article is a cracking read too http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/may/30/carl-froch-george-groves-death-row-world-title-fight