Bars/pubs In Town.

Mrs_Mols

A popular Aberdeen bar and music venue has announced plans to close.

Downstairs on Holburn Street will close at the end of July and the Malt Mill, above it, will shut in August, according to a post on Facebook.

Gavin Basset and David McGhie, who run the venues, announced the news in a post on the social media site yesterday.

A post on the Downstairs’ page said: “It is with a sick feeling in my stomach, a heavy heart, welled up eyes and a huge sense of disbelief I post this.

“On July 30, Downstairs will no longer exist. This is not a re-brand, not a gimmick. This is the end of our music venue, our bar and our business.

“The Malt Mill will trade until August 19 and then that too will be shut.”

The pair cite difficulties in paying for soundproofing at the premises – saying £80,000 is needed.

It follows a noise abatement notice being issued by Aberdeen City Council to Downstairs at the start of the year.

Downstairs has had issues with the the council’s environmental health officers due to noise complaints from a nearby resident, the post said.

It continued: “We are also just not making enough money and to be honest right now we need to try and make sure we do not leave in debt so honestly your support is needed at the end as as much as possible.

“In all in, even if somebody could raise us £80,000 it might still not be enough to ensure that we have a venue that can operate, or that it would be busy enough to keep the business alive.

“It feels a lot like we are giving up but in real life terms there just is nothing we can do.

“Words cannot describe just how hard this has been to write.”

It added: “Somebody may want to take the lease on, but they would be a fool to do so and I do not see it happening. ”

The post has already been shared nearly 400 times on the social media site and hundreds of people have commented sharing their disappointment over the closure.

Foundry and Holburn bar wiping out the compation on Holburn Street I see. Include the short mile to that list.

I worked at the Brittania for a bit behind the bar and the Malt Mill, I must've jinxed them this week. Malt Mill used to be a laugh, some good bands downstairs and some real shite too. The old owner Mike Watt I think, was a proper alchy, locked himself in one night and told the manager to fuck off and leave him. His wife came in the next day and couldn't find him, he was at the bottom of the cellar stairs just in his shirt. He'd shit and listed himself after necking loads of booze then chucked his skuds and bricks in the glass wash sink, minging

Mightve told this story before.....

I worked at the Brittania for a bit behind the bar and the Malt Mill, I must've jinxed them this week. Malt Mill used to be a laugh, some good bands downstairs and some real shite too. The old owner Mike Watt I think, was a proper alchy, locked himself in one night and told the manager to fuck off and leave him. His wife came in the next day and couldn't find him, he was at the bottom of the cellar stairs just in his shirt. He'd shit and listed himself after necking loads of booze then chucked his skuds and bricks in the glass wash sink, minging

Mightve told this story before.....

Did you work with GM and NM the twins whilst at the Brittania?

Was a hell of a reek up at the Britannia.

An absolute shithole of a hotel though and can only imagine this latest episode will have dramatically improved it. As long as the Fishmongers along the road was untouched the good people of Boxy can go about their business as usual.

The haddock fillets are very generous.

I got very generous haddock fillet from my fishmonger yesterday also.

Ffs the fishmonger is at the mercy of the size of fish caught, he's not being generous.

I get free fish but never or hardly ever take it, I'm not keen on seafood.

1 fish can make several fillets, and depending if you are buying, per fillet, per kilo, or per fish will dictate the generosity of said fishmonger.

• 1 year later...

This thread will do.

A former Aberdeen nightclub is to be transformed into a “boutique” ten-pin bowling centre.

Lane7 will open at the site of the old Tiger Tiger on Shiprow next month and is expected to create around 30 full-time and part-time jobs.
Bosses at the bowling firm say a “substantial” six-figure sum is being invested in the businesses, which will be only the second outside of its flagship site in Newcastle.
Lane7, which is being touted as an “upmarket ten-pin bowling experience”, will also have a late-night drinks licence and six lanes.
Charlie Snow, Lane7 operations manager, said: “We can’t wait for the people of Aberdeen to get their bowl on.
“This is a city with a buzzing nightlife and we’re thrilled to be adding a fresh, new dimension to it.
“We launched Lane7 as the antidote to plastic, soulless retail park bowling venues.
“As well as the six super-slick lanes, we’re going to be bringing some special twists too.
“We’re keeping them under wraps for now, but we promise the people of Aberdeen will love what we’re bringing to the city.”
Lane7 first opened in Newcastle in 2013 and has been known to introduce ‘pop-up’ attractions which last only a matter of weeks before disappearing again.
They’ve previously put on indoor mini golf, giant remote-controlled racing rigs and traditional arcade games.
Tiger Tiger shut in March 2014 after 10 years in the city.
The premises had two floors with numerous bars and was popular among students.

bowling-gif-7.gif

• 1 year later...