Shares

fine-n-dandy

Sound broke the £1 barrier this morning. My first ever "10 bagger".

:trophy:

My average is 9.08p.

Between profits in Sound (1001%), Sirius Minerals (337%), my wee unemployed stint this year has turned out to be more profitable than working for a living.

Even Hurricane and Parkmead are starting to make a profit for me.

Nice one. Hell of a shout. Hope you're offloading them now. ;)

I'm holding them until February.

They've got a long way to go (I hope). As long as the Moroccan gas field is as big as they predicted.

Thy also have another prospect in Morocco and a couple in Italy.

Talk of £5-£10 a share. I'd be retired if it got to that.

Greed is good.

Jeezo. I'd be offloading at least double my initial investment and hanging onto the rest rather than sitting on the lot.

Good luck in your quest.

EDIT: You sound exactly like my greedy bastard mate who convinced himself that Gulf Keystone Petroleum would make him 100k and he hung onto every share rather than cash out. :clangers2:

How much fun have you had in your life, how many different places have you been to, how many mind altering experiences have you had? I'll say it's under 10 for each as you come across as a small minded, pathetic islander.

:hysterical:

Getting called pathetic by the man whose Mum still wipes his arse.

Irony isn't just what your Mum does to your breeks mini min.

• Upvote 1

Jeezo. I'd be offloading at least double my initial investment and hanging onto the rest rather than sitting on the lot.

Good luck in your quest.

EDIT: You sound exactly like my greedy bastard mate who convinced himself that Gulf Keystone Petroleum would make him 100k and he hung onto every share rather than cash out. :clangers2:

:laughing:

I lost a few quid on those but sold when they were on their way down, told my pal to do similar but no, still holding even now for some bizarre reason.

Good luck in your quest.

Not exactly I'll top slice a bit from Sound and Sirius. Possibly Hurricane as well but the rest will ride to see how far it goes (with a 20% stop/loss in place)

I did lose money on GKP though. And Excite. I am sitting £2k down on Rockhopper as well but I've not sold yet so not lost any money.

I hadn't got the discipline for stop/losses at the time but I'm older and wiser now (hopefully)

Shares? Pfft. Like blokes who back the horses/plays the slots etc. Here about the $10K win but never about the $100K loss and the $90K deficit.

Rubbish. The type of multi-baggers you're talking about are indeed rare, but there are plenty of ways to make money through shares. It all depends on your investment horizon... if you're looking to make a fast buck then, yes, you are likely to come a cropper, but if you can be patient then the stockmarket can be a very efficient means of growing your money. Buy good companies, prepare to hold for at least 5 years, and reinvest the dividends. Not quite as sexy as returning 1000% on Sound Energy, but a useful alternative to a pension.

Buy really good companies (i.e. do your homework properly), and hold forever, reinvesting the dividends as you go, and you get to be Warren Buffet.

Also tax-free if you are sensible enough to hold them in a stocks and shares ISA, meaning you're not liable for any capital gains tax on the profits you make.

Folk raving about 88 Energy

Had a quick look over on Hargreaves Lansdown. Interesting company with a great hopper of assets, but jeez-o that is one volatile stock. Within the last year it's been has high as 4p and is currently at 2.1p, having dipped below 1p as recently as February!

Definitely one for the 'speculative punt' category, but have added it to my watchlist and will keep an eye on them.

• Upvote 1

Worth investing now in that Sound Energy?

Had a peep at it but very limited funds so probably won't but can encourage others and hopefully get few pints out of it.

I probably wouldn't advise it. Even though I'm hoping for the shares to reach £3 so I can retire (Or possibly £5-£10), they could quite as easily plummet if the field doesn't live up to expectations and the other prospects fail to deliver. Oil and gas is like that.

Like Oxford Don says, the way to make money is long term in good companies with re-invested dividends. It's boring but you're far more likely to make money in the long run. My pension and the wife's ISA are built like that. I only 'gamble' with my own ISA. Luckily the gamble is paying off but until recently my wife's ISA was making far more than mine. About 32% overall.

Right SD how do you buy shares and stuff?

Open an account with an online broker, put some cash in it and start investing.

I use Interactive Investor and TD Waterhouse but there are loads. Hargreaves Lansdown and AJ Bell are meant to be good.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/diyinvesting/article-2554699/Top-online-brokers-lowest-fees-revealed.html

• Upvote 1

Shares? Pfft. Like blokes who back the horses/plays the slots etc. Here about the $10K win but never about the $100K loss and the $90K deficit.

I've lost money on GKP, 88E, Sareum Holdings, First Group and most spectacularly on HMV when it went bust.

You learn from your mistakes and unlike the horses, you should be able to make money in the long run unless you're very very daft or unlucky.

I'm holding them until February.

They've got a long way to go (I hope). As long as the Moroccan gas field is as big as they predicted.

Thy also have another prospect in Morocco and a couple in Italy.

Talk of £5-£10 a share. I'd be retired if it got to that.

Greed is good.

Good luck in your quest.

I would be top slicing at LEAST half of them.

Are they ISA (tax free) or normal

I would be top slicing at LEAST half of them.

Are they ISA (tax free) or normal

I'm top slicing but not anywhere near half. I'll have a good enough profit even if it falls 30%.

It's in my ISA as well. I'm a tax dodging bastard just like David Murray.

Down 3% today on half year report being published.

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/news/market-news/market-news-detail/SOU/12966547.html