Huns On King St

Absolutely disgusting. But also don't get folk from Glasgow choosing to support Aberdeen, although obvious for some with the success in the 80's. Wherever you are from you should support your local team.

Rubbish. You should support a team you have an affinity with. If that affinity is based purely on glory, then it is quite pathetic.

You are essentially suggesting that if you are born beside Ibrox or Celtic Park you should support them even if you hate everything that they stand for.

Or if you are born in a certain part of the country but your entire family supports a certain club for whatever reason, you should not consider the option of also supporting that team, because of geographical location.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One fan shouting that makes it a hun element in our support?

No but it's still out of place. I was actually embarrassed to see an Aberdeen acting in such a way.

Edit; It's also double standards to say a hun walking down king street deserves to be knocked out but it's ok for one of our "fans" to do it

Rubbish. You should support a team you have an affinity with. If that affinity is based purely on glory, then it is quite pathetic.

You are essentially suggesting that if you are born beside Ibrox or Celtic Park you should support them even if you hate everything that they stand for.

Or if you are born in a certain part of the country but your entire family supports a certain club for whatever reason, you should not consider the option of also supporting that team, because of geographical location.

Agree to a point, should start with location, local team but surely you can't change teams if you move town? Suppose its not illegal but it should be illegal to support the old firm.

Should have maybe been more specific. I don't understand why some weegies support Aberdeen without any background. For older ones it is obvious they chose to because we were sh*t hot in the 80's, which tbh is just as bad as Huns and Tims in Aberdeen.

If you are brought up to support a team that is different. Simply choosing a team however isn't right, you don't choose who you support, your team chooses you.

Agree to a point, should start with location, local team but surely you can't change teams if you move town? Suppose its not illegal but it should be illegal to support the old firm.

By 'supporting your local team' I didn't mean if you move away you jump ship, that is stupid. I mean that if you are born and bred somewhere I don't understand how you couldn't support your local team. Although if your whole family supports a team from somewhere else because that's where they are from and they bring you up that way then it is a bit different.

Should have maybe been more specific. I don't understand why some weegies support Aberdeen without any background. For older ones it is obvious they chose to because we were sh*t hot in the 80's, which tbh is just as bad as Huns and Tims in Aberdeen.

If you are brought up to support a team that is different. Simply choosing a team however isn't right, you don't choose who you support, your team chooses you.

Surely a team choosing you essentially means that you should be open to the idea of supporting any team?

Saying that I was disgusted on Tuesday night when a bloke 5 rows infront of me started shouting no surrender at the celtic fans. There's no place for that

I can remember and I not that old, whenever we played Celtic you would hear "Oh No Pope of Rome" being belting out by Aberdeen fans, not by just one fan but hundreds, I would sing it myself, it was done to annoy the green tinks, did not mean any of us had any Hun leanings, It was sung to wind the tims up, and it worked

So one guy shouting no surrender is hardly a big deal, certainly does not alude to a "hunnish" element in our support.

I also remeber Dons fans cheering at Fir Park years ago when Celtic won the league to stop Rangers winning 10 in a row, likewise that does not mean we as a support prefer Celtic either.

I can remember and I not that old, whenever we played Celtic you would hear "Oh No Pope of Rome" being belting out by Aberdeen fans, not by just one fan but hundreds, I would sing it myself, it was done to annoy the green tinks, did not mean any of us had any Hun leanings, It was sung to wind the tims up, and it worked

So one guy shouting no surrender is hardly a big deal, certainly does not alude to a "hunnish" element in our support.

I also remeber Dons fans cheering at Fir Park years ago when Celtic won the league to stop Rangers winning 10 in a row, likewise that does not mean we as a support prefer Celtic either.

Ok obviously I'm not going to win this argument however I still stand by what I said about being shocked at seeing this. I'm only 27 and can't remember seeing any of this happen, maybe I just wasn't paying attention to it

Absolutely disgusting. But also don't get folk from Glasgow choosing to support Aberdeen, although obvious for some with the success in the 80's. Wherever you are from you should support your local team.

What a load of crap, my dad grew up in the shadow of Celtic Park in the fifties, and was brought up a Dons fan due to his father and grandfather being from the north eat, I was born in Stirling and grew up just outside Falkirk (in a Glasgow overspill town where EVERYONE was a Hun or Tim), and I was brought up a Dons fan, if I have a son (or a daughter), they'll be brought up a Dons fan.

Ok obviously I'm not going to win this argument however I still stand by what I said about being shocked at seeing this. I'm only 27 and can't remember seeing any of this happen, maybe I just wasn't paying attention to it

Used to happen quite a bit in the early 80s and throughout that i know of, may have happened earlier?

No argument fae me Don :thumbs: , your right No surrender is not something i would be to proud of shouting myself, and it certainly not clever, just that I sung worse and I got no problem or shame with that

It certainly does not represent Aberdeen fans in anyway, and proberly would be best left to the blue beasts but sometimes these things happen,

What a load of crap, my dad grew up in the shadow of Celtic Park in the fifties, and was brought up a Dons fan due to his father and grandfather being from the north eat, I was born in Stirling and grew up just outside Falkirk (in a Glasgow overspill town where EVERYONE was a Hun or Tim), and I was brought up a Dons fan, if I have a son (or a daughter), they'll be brought up a Dons fan.

Read posts above.

You have a north east heritage and therefore have every right to support the Dons imho

My son is sadly born a guffy but he supports Aberdeen and Scotland :sheepdance:

I can remember that and i am old.

We did it to wind up the tims, nothing else.

I remember an awesome day walking along London Road and it was blasted out and then when

we got to the ground it was done again. They hated it. We won.

I agree with you to a point. There are some cases though where people have moved away from the North East had kids and they grow up Dons fans. I think that is quite correct. What I don't agree with though is those who have absolutely no connection with Aberdeen/North East but still say they are dons fans, that to me is as bad as the lad from Torry who's parents and grandparents are all from Torry but he supports Rangers.

There are loads of folk from my work born and bred in Brechin/Montrose/Arbroath and Stoney who support Celtic or Rangers, it makes me sick half of them couldn't name the full squads just plastic huns/tims. That's the sort of folk that annoy me.

I agree with you to a point. There are some cases though where people have moved away from the North East had kids and they grow up Dons fans. I think that is quite correct. What I don't agree with though is those who have absolutely no connection with Aberdeen/North East but still say they are dons fans, that to me is as bad as the lad from Torry who's parents and grandparents are all from Torry but he supports Rangers.

There are loads of folk from my work born and bred in Brechin/Montrose/Arbroath and Stoney who support Celtic or Rangers, it makes me sick half of them couldn't name the full squads just plastic huns/tims. That's the sort of folk that annoy me.

I can't completely agree - I was born in Elgin and can trace my line back to Rothienorman and have been a Dons fan for 4 decades but spent most of my life in the West of Scotland. I have supported the dons through thin and thick and thin. No real issue with me being a dons fan I would guess.

I don't have an issue with someone supporting the dons because he (or she) enjoys the atmosphere at games or the banter or the ethos of the club - it is hard to imagine some sane human being saying the same about the bigot brothers. I wouldn't count them less of a fan because they didn't have NE blood. I suspect a lot of our real long term Strathclyde support is born of these motives, some of it may be glory hunters from the 80s but by god have they learnt the error of their ways now - if they are still here they are as loyal as anyone and are as true a fan as anyone else. The club should promote itself generally - it should try and promote it in its own back yard first but it in my opinion it shouldn't limit it to there. There is no badness or wrongness in supporting a club because you support them - it's not simply heritage.

The sadness I have is not wee loons blindly supporting the Infirm, wee loons like to support winners and frankly we've given them nothing to cheer about for a long time. It's when the wee loons are not being given a chance by AFC because the club whose players are local are not making an effort that to engage, and the wee loons when they grow up can't see the real evil that lies in the heart of the gruesome twosome and therefore don't change. Our club does not sell itself as well as it could.

The fact that some NE adults support the likes of the infirm is only in part because they are glory hunters but also because they in part buy into the ethos of the club, to be honest I'd rather they supported the huns or tims because I don't want to be associated with people that think that way. The club and the genuine fans should be trying to increase the fan base (more money is good for our team) by taking folk to games and by showing honest passion for our team. It shouldn't matter where they are from - if they support the dons and stand free that's good enough for me!

Even worse, to a degree, than fans from the NE supporting the Old Firm is fans from the NE, who once supported the Dons and still do to a certain extent, but now put their whole weight behind Liverpool, or Man U. I'm told a plane load of Aberdeen based fans go down to Old Trafford for each home game.

Now, I like to see Man U doing well, but I'm AFC all the way. Man U results do not make or break my weekend. AFC scores do.

You would not believe the amount of older AFC fans that I know, who would never bother their arse to go to Pittodrie nowadays, but will gladly huddle round a Sky TV to watch Liverpool play.