I think Brown's been damned clever with managing Young. Earlier in the week Young basically said he wouldn't play for us again but Brown spotted an opportunity to keep him sweet by making him captain for the last few weeks (ahead of blunder boy Diamond who's off anyway) and giving him something to play for. Immediately a released player who couldn't care less is there to fight for the remaining points which will influence next season's budget. Masterstroke! Show's we've got a good manager.

That said, I'm still surprised to see Young released, particularly because I thought he'd been one of the more consistent & versatile players in the team since Brown came in. I didn't think he was on much cash but clearly Brown needs him out to finance a move for another player. Harsh but understandable.

I'd like to pat Brown on the back for such smart man-management and to wish Deek all the best with his future - it's good for him to make history as one half of the only brothers ever to both captain the Dons. He's certainly not the greatest player to grace Pittodrie but he's definitely a competent grafter worthy of most squads in the SPL.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't agree with you there. Guys like Zander, Kerr & McDonald are the ones who stole wages from us as first picks. Young never did that. He's a decent squad player and I think we'd be better to convince Hartley to retire than release Young, but that's life. I trust Brown's judgement.

Sorry but I must have missed the part whereYoung said he wouldn't play for us again?

He didn't say it as strongly as that but he felt strongly enough about it to speak to Brown ahead of the game and question whether he should play for the club again. His RedTv interview is also revealing.

Clearly Brown's solution was to offer him an incentive (i.e. the captaincy) to play because we've nobody else who can fill in at right back && no doubt also, as Brown said in interviews, because he respects Young's contribution to the club over his 250-odd games.

P&J link is below:

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2244774

How can we speak of Derek Young, the same Derek Young who was deemed surplus to requirements and not offered a new contract at Partick Thiste 5 years ago, to be an acceptable standard Aberdeen Football Club player. I can't believe it's even being discussed.

f**k off Derek, you have took thousands and thousands of pounds of wages out of this club for scant return. Ross County, then Formartine beckon, then you can find your true calling of delivering my supper.

How can we speak of Derek Young, the same Derek Young who was deemed surplus to requirements and not offered a new contract at Partick Thiste 5 years ago, to be an acceptable standard Aberdeen Football Club player. I can't believe it's even being discussed.

f**k off Derek, you have took thousands and thousands of pounds of wages out of this club for scant return. Ross County, then Formartine beckon, then you can find your true calling of delivering my supper.

Don't sit on the fence Ollie for f**ks sake :laughing:

Seriously though yes Young has done a decent enough job at times for us but agree with others that if we have any ambition to challenge the OF, or at least be up at that end of the table then we have to move on from players who aren't good enough and that sadly is guys like Young.

He didn't say it as strongly as that but he felt strongly enough about it to speak to Brown ahead of the game and question whether he should play for the club again. His RedTv interview is also revealing.

Canna see that being true like. The poor c**t will be on the dole soon enough, surely he wasnae suggesting packing in his job 4 weeks early and walking away from a months wages. Pretty f**king stupid if he did that, plus he's still in the shop window.

I think you're speaking pish mate.

Clearly Brown's solution was to offer him an incentive (i.e. the captaincy) to play because we've nobody else who can fill in at right back && no doubt also, as Brown said in interviews, because he respects Young's contribution to the club over his 250-odd games.

P&J link is below:

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2244774

He is worried about being injured. He has a young family. He doesn't earn that much. I'd be concerned about playing aswell. An injury could leave him unemployed.

He played well yesterday. Good luck to him.

So you're advocating keeping Young because he's got more legs than Hartley, and also because Zander, Kerr and McDonald stole a wage?

It's telling that anyone who suggests we keep Young without exception points to the failings of others which paint Deek in a favourable light. Never once seen anyone say he can get a grip of midfield, can pick an incisive pass, offers decent support, nothing. It's always "he always gives 100%" or "oh at least he doesn't hide like Zander/Kerr".

And he won't do as a "squad player" - if we're determined to have "squad players" then why not take a chance on a young player with the potential to improve, rather than stick with a 30 something journeyman who we know all too well how sh*te he is.

Good luck to him, but mere acceptance of mediocrity is a big reason why we're where we are.

My reason for keeping Yong over any one else in the squad (as a squad player) is simple, he's on 500 brick a week plus bonuses. I very much doubt we'd get any better for his 500 brick a week. I doubt we'd get anyone as committed to the club as Yong for his 500 brick a week, I doubt the Sunway has anyone else lined up for Saturday nights now either. We cant have a squad full of decent players all on 2K a week, we need guys like Yong, guys who can turn in and do a shift when needed to sit on the bench as back up. Saying that I'm sure CB knows what he's doing and where, or roughly where Yong's 500 brick will be going next season. Says it all though when CB himself has said there are guys under contract in the squad he'd like to move on before Yong but cant afford to pay them off and resign Yong.

Life's just not fair

I blame Tony Blair

We cant have a squad full of decent players all on 2K a week, we need guys like Yong, guys who can turn in and do a shift when needed to sit on the bench as back up. Saying that I'm sure CB knows what he's doing and where, or roughly where Yong's 500 brick will be going next season.

We have Ryan Jack who will hopefully effortlessly take over from Young as cheap as chips benchman who will provide not great cover for midfield and right back. Next......

We have Ryan Jack who will hopefully effortlessly take over from Young as cheap as chips benchman who will provide not great cover for midfield and right back. Next......

So we have 1 back up in midfield.

good plan

Wont be long before Ryan joins the ranks of those wanting more moola either.

You should be a manager yi know

My reason for keeping Yong over any one else in the squad (as a squad player) is simple, he's on 500 brick a week plus bonuses. I very much doubt we'd get any better for his 500 brick a week. I doubt we'd get anyone as committed to the club as Yong for his 500 brick a week, I doubt the Sunway has anyone else lined up for Saturday nights now either. We cant have a squad full of decent players all on 2K a week, we need guys like Yong, guys who can turn in and do a shift when needed to sit on the bench as back up. Saying that I'm sure CB knows what he's doing and where, or roughly where Yong's 500 brick will be going next season. Says it all though when CB himself has said there are guys under contract in the squad he'd like to move on before Yong but cant afford to pay them off and resign Yong.

This.

Yes, ability wise, never the best, and I doubt Derek would ever claim to be. In an attitude sense, perhaps only Darren Mackie has shown the same 100% commitment in a red shirt in the last 6 years, when he returned I was totally against it, just another 'jobs for the boys' act by Calderwood. This season he has played centre mid, right and left mid, right back, centre half, if you asked him to play in goal he'd probably do it.

How folk can have a pop at the guy I don't know, he doesn't asked to be picked, he could have sat back and did sod all for 3 years safe in the knowledge that he'd be getting paid. Instead, unlike many, many others in a Dons top in the recent past, he goes out and gives his all.

As for throwing a strop and threatening not to play, the guy needs to work next year, he's 30 and is probably looking at a lower SPL, though probably part time Division One club, getting a serious injury in the last 4 games that wouldn't let him play/go on trial in pre-season would have a serious impact on his future career.

Bottom line, in both spells at the Dons, he gave his all, I'd like to think even the most hardened of those who don't appreciate his skill would want to wish him well.

'cause of course, Ryan will be happy to plod along on meager youth contract wages year upon year.

Another thing, I've maybe missed it, but where is the evidence of Derek Young being on 26k per year. I'd be astounded if that was the case.

you beat me to it Ollie! was gonna ask where the proof was that young was only earning 26k a year. I take home more than 500 quid a week and know how crap my take home is.

if he really is only on that, he could go to junior football, play part time and work and earn a hell of a lot more. there was a boy who went from st mirren to irvine meadow not that long ago as they were offering more! i went to uni with a boy who played with them at the time

you beat me to it Ollie! was gonna ask where the proof was that young was only earning 26k a year. I take home more than 500 quid a week and know how crap my take home is.

if he really is only on that, he could go to junior football, play part time and work and earn a hell of a lot more. there was a boy who went from st mirren to irvine meadow not that long ago as they were offering more! i went to uni with a boy who played with them at the time

I can probably believe he is on about

And if you compare him to what's an acceptable standard at AFC then he certainly doesn't.

Just because others aren't up to scratch doesn't mean Young is all of a sudden.

Going by that we would have no team for next season.

But really, what is an acceptable standard for an AFC player? Weve been bottom six for two seasons in a row, we were in danger of being relegated this year. Yes, i agree that this is in no way good enough for Aberdeen, but i think we all need to be realistic. Fair play, get rid of Young. As much as i like the man, due to his age, and him probably not accepting a smaller contract because he has a young family to provide for, the decision was probably the right one by Brown. However, although were getting rid of Young, we are still going to be left with the likes of Paton who is no way good enough. By getting rid of Young and the likes, Brown now really needs to try and get rid of some of those still in contract next season.

Wont be long before Ryan joins the ranks of those wanting more moola either.

You should be a manager yi know

He can want all he wants, they'll not be a massive amount of teams beating his door down to make him offers. Plenty more able footballers than him will be released this summer and beyond, he'll not be in a position to hold us to randsom.

I'd be willing to bet he's playing for Fortmartine or Inverurie in under 5 years.

Edit: I'll be delighted to be proven wrong.