10-Team Spl Proposal 'dead'

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fans want a 14 team league with an 8 6 split after 26 games with 8 teams playing further 14 games and 6 teams playing 10 games?

according to the man that researched and wrote the report, yes. More so that revisiting the past with 10 teams.

"A Premier League of 14 teams which would be more in tune with what the fans and spectators have been asking for but which would run the risk of some serious financial difficulties and a reduction in the current financial distribution going to the clubs," wrote McLeish.

Its back to the drawing board for the whole shake up, not a bad thing.

IBrechin, Montose, Forfar, and Arbroath, tell them to join up into Tayside County or something similar, pool their resources, sell off 3 stadiums for housing or become amateur.

Aye - when hell freezes over.

Forfar are not in the financial poo in anything like the same way that so called "big" teams are.

And just hope AFC dont get drawn against them or Brechin next season in a cup because there's a pretty good chance that the Reds would be red faced. They may be diddy clubs but the team spirit and the links with the community are way, way ahead of what seems to be happening at Pittodrie just now

14 team option was never mentioned then. Fans of lower leagues wanted 16 team or even 20 team top league but of course they would.

The less diddy clubs like Hamilton in top league the better i say.

It's amazing how hypocritical some of our fans are.

People blame Rangers and Celtic for the state of Scottish football because they get more money than the rest of us, and then turn around and say "We should have 10 teams because we don't want to share the money with 'other' teams" how is that any different?

Was wondering the same... :itch-chin:

14 team option was never mentioned then. Fans of lower leagues wanted 16 team or even 20 team top league but of course they would.

The less diddy clubs like Hamilton in top league the better i say.

The question asked was do you want a top tier of 10, the answer was a resounding no from fans of teams from all the leagues. The only other option HM put forward was 14 teams to then look at expanding again to 16 later down the line and thats why the other 8 are suggesting that. Once again though this 14 team and split was driven by this mythical TV money we're all allegedly getting rich from. There is no TV money to speak of, if what there is was split fairer then the only clubs really losing out are the OF. The whole set up needs looked at though including the cups and not just what keeps Sky money going into Celtic and Rangers.

That would leave a tope league of 5 or 6 K-9, in fact we're all diddy clubs if you listen to the weegie mafia.

I like the romantic notion of reserve or under 21 football coming back however the stark financial reality is that it will hurt clubs like Aberdeen, etc in the pocket. Sadly I do not have an answer but an overhaul is required to sort out the mess which is Scottish fitba.

Split get that to feck, its pointless in my opinion. What purpose does it serve other than to handicap or favour one team who have to go away for a third time to either green or blue Glasgow or play St Mirren again at home. Two home games, two away games each club. Fair and sensible.

I agree Scottish fitba also needs a cul. Far far far far far far too many diddy teams are suckling on the lifeblood of the game. They take finances and resources from the game and offer nothing back in return. Gretna etc live and exist hoping for a pay out against the Old Fram (preferably) or a SPL team with a decent travelling suport like us in a Scottish Cup draw. Force them into amateur status.

Brechin, Montose, Forfar, and Arbroath, tell them to join up into Tayside County or something similar, pool their resources, sell off 3 stadiums for housing or become amateur. Same with Gretna, Queen of the South, and Annan. What is the point, they all just drain and cost Scottish football money.

Ruthless and precise restructuring from grass roots to the top.

must admit this is the way i think as well, small clubs should either combine resources/fans or be moved to permanent amateur status, we simply have too many diddy teams, we're talking about saving scottish football and that has to start with the clubs that actually benefit the game, nostalgia towards smaller teams won't fix the problems we have

our game is dying anyway, so 200 fans turning up to see Gretna would not be missed, in fact, fans in time would start moving towards spl teams and it MIGHT help increase a clubs fan base, it's all if's n but's, as it stands though our game is in decline so harsh measure should be considered

So the man who comes in and speaks up for what the fans actually want is a prick?

I would also think that being the Chairman of Dumpfermline would actually make him their spokesman

He may speak sh*te 98.7% of the time but he's spot on with this.

Maybe not but ten was well trashed

So yes he is a prick and speaking sh*te as the fans didn't want 14 team !! Not only one to speak sh*te obviously

He may speak sh*te 98.7% of the time but he's spot on with this.

Clearly not !!

I would also think that being the Chairman of Dumpfermline would actually make him their spokesman

Why does he being chairman of Diddymline make him the spokesman of the clubs that met to reject the plan?? Does being chairman of this joke of a club place you as leader of all things scottish football?!? :spanner:

So yes he is a prick and speaking sh*te as the fans didn't want 14 team !! Not only one to speak sh*te obviously

Clearly not !!

Why does he being chairman of Diddymline make him the spokesman of the clubs that met to reject the plan?? Does being chairman of this joke of a club place you as leader of all things scottish football?!? :spanner:

Just another chairman who has made a mess of their own club financially having a big say in the way the SPL should be ran. Add Milne from Aberdeen, Romanov at Hearts and until couple of weeks ago Boyle at Motherwell and you have 4 clowns who have ran their own clubs into ground but are given huge say on how things move forward.

must admit this is the way i think as well, small clubs should either combine resources/fans or be moved to permanent amateur status, we simply have too many diddy teams, we're talking about saving scottish football and that has to start with the clubs that actually benefit the game, nostalgia towards smaller teams won't fix the problems we have

our game is dying anyway, so 200 fans turning up to see Gretna would not be missed, in fact, fans in time would start moving towards spl teams and it MIGHT help increase a clubs fan base, it's all if's n but's, as it stands though our game is in decline so harsh measure should be considered

What a horrible narrow minded view point, I bet a lot of these 'diddy' manage to survive through generating their own money and run properly rather than relying on handouts from Sky etc the way the SPL teams do.

Why stop at Forfar etc, Aberdeen are pretty much a diddy team, why not just do away with all these small teams sponging all the money and just have Rangers and Celtic that we can all support, they'll get massive, should do well in Europe and our co-efficient will increase!

Who should have the final say then?

Don't say the fans, most on here come out with some remarkably stupid stuff and left to some fans then the league would be deceased

An independent group.

You surely can't think that letting self interested parties who have already ran their own clubs into the ground (1 of the group led club into administration) within the set up that they themselves were part of introducing, is a good idea?

What a horrible narrow minded view point, I bet a lot of these 'diddy' manage to survive through generating their own money and run properly rather than relying on handouts from Sky etc the way the SPL teams do.

Why stop at Forfar etc, Aberdeen are pretty much a diddy team, why not just do away with all these small teams sponging all the money and just have Rangers and Celtic that we can all support, they'll get massive, should do well in Europe and our co-efficient will increase!

what's horrible about it, extreme times call for extreme measures, we have too many teams in scotland, its a drain on resources, nostalgia & sentiment won't save the SPL, tough & controversial decisions might

in my opinion nostalgia & sentiment suggest being narrow minded, we should be open minded to all options should we not?

many big companies join together to save themselves, like ORANGE & T-MOBILE that are now knows as Everything Everywhere, or ground sharing teams like the mighty Milan s of Italy, football clubs are more or less run as a business now, so why not?

what's horrible about it, extreme times call for extreme measures, we have too many teams in scotland, its a drain on resources, nostalgia & sentiment won't save the SPL, tough & controversial decisions might

in my opinion nostalgia & sentiment suggest being narrow minded, we should be open minded to all options should we not?

many big companies join together to save themselves, like ORANGE & T-MOBILE that are now knows as Everything Everywhere, or ground sharing teams like the mighty Milan s of Italy, football clubs are more or less run as a business now, so why not?

It's not that we need to dispense with the smaller clubs, it's a case of a pyramid structure, so that the true dross are eliminated should they wish to wallow in a comfort zone, which many of them undoubtedly do.

You cannot dispense, and you cannot merge easily, football clubs are traditional, and nothing like big corporate companies.

If they start messing around with that aspect of it, the names of the clubs, and their heritage, count me out, the game is soul-less enough as it is.

Getting back to basics is key to curing fitba. Dispense with the TV deal, and long term, dispense with the Old Firm, make the actual GAMES themselves exciting, rather than looking at league format or anything else. And if you want to see it, go to it, if not, forget it, you're not much of a fan if you never attend anyway.

It's not that we need to dispense with the smaller clubs, it's a case of a pyramid structure, so that the true dross are eliminated should they wish to wallow in a comfort zone, which many of them undoubtedly do.

You cannot dispense, and you cannot merge easily, football clubs are traditional, and nothing like big corporate companies.

If they start messing around with that aspect of it, the names of the clubs, and their heritage, count me out, the game is soul-less enough as it is.

Getting back to basics is key to curing fitba. Dispense with the TV deal, and long term, dispense with the Old Firm, make the actual GAMES themselves exciting, rather than looking at league format or anything else. And if you want to see it, go to it, if not, forget it, you're not much of a fan if you never attend anyway.

The problem with that 'tup' is you can't be sentimental about heritage/tradition in one sentence then suggest in the following, let's do away with the old firm, they are scottish footballs heritage no matter how much it pains me to admit it, they are scottish football, they put our game on the map long before Aberdeen did in the 80's, I get what you are trying to say though and I think a lot of folk realise something drastic has to be done to save our game, something that could be a monumental and ground breaking decision.

However if we're willing to see the old firm pushed out of the scottish game and not teams like Morton, Alloa, Dumbarton or QOS ect then I feel we have some serious flaws in our logic.

There's nothing wrong with teams joining together; you will always get the major protests to begin with and the sensationalist news reports of 400 fans from two teams having to share one ground or one club, but in time after the dust settles it will be accepted and the next generation of supporters won't have issues with it.

Look at the famous British Army regiments, some being joined together, some being disbanded, they have more tradition than Alloa FC, nobody likes it to begin with, but it's accepted in time.

There's nothing wrong with teams joining together; you will always get the major protests to begin with and the sensationalist news reports of 400 fans from two teams having to share one ground or one club, but in time after the dust settles it will be accepted and the next generation of supporters won't have issues with it.

Its all numbers again though - number of teams in the SPL, number of teams in the SFL. I don't see how changing any of this will make any difference in the short or long term. The thing that needs to change is the standard of the league. Initially, although it pains me to say it, even the quality of the football being played is not as important as the perceived level of competition in the league. While the old firm remain untouchable the crowds and interest will continue to dwindle, even the old firm crowds are starting to drop fer gawds sake. Competition has to be increased, the only way to do that is for the money to be shared more equally and that is the problem. The old firm won't do that, and yet will bleat about how unfair it is in europe that they can't compete financially with the big european clubs. The game in Scotland is fecked (and the same scenario will play out eventually on a european scale as long as the game continues to be driven as it is right now) - and no amount of cosmetic tinkering will solve it.

The problem with that 'tup' is you can't be sentimental about heritage/tradition in one sentence then suggest in the following, let's do away with the old firm, they are scottish footballs heritage no matter how much it pains me to admit it, they are scottish football, they put our game on the map long before Aberdeen did in the 80's, I get what you are trying to say though and I think a lot of folk realise something drastic has to be done to save our game, something that could be a monumental and ground breaking decision.

However if we're willing to see the old firm pushed out of the scottish game and not teams like Morton, Alloa, Dumbarton or QOS ect then I feel we have some serious flaws in our logic.

They do not want to be here. They have made that abundantly clear, many times. They do nothing to assist the other clubs in Scotland and instead railroad all aspects of the game to their own strongholds, strongholds which have become strangleholds in recent times.

I'd go as far as to say there is no game in Scotland any more, zero competition, worthless and inevitable.

Not only do they not want to be here, they don't even support or assist or national team, they do the exact opposite, they consider themselves and their inflated sense of importance as transcending the nation's needs.

They also import problems into our game which would not exist, or only exist on a very small scale, were they to be eradicated. Seal the borders (with Ireland) when they're playing their home games, and their attendances would drop sharply.

So they're putting us on the map alright. For all the wrong reasons.

And what many fail to realise is that Scottish football would not be the same without them. The teams you mention above have probably lost most of their traditional fanbase to these clubs. Were they gone, folk would start going to see their local club again, thereby increasing attendances significantly. If the football on display was highly competitive, which it would be without a doubt, people would see this and interest would flow once more, increasing the attendances further. i.e. getting back to basics. Starting over.

These two clubs have so skewed the landscape that the rest of us might as well not exist, given the morsels we're left to scrap over, in embarrassing and humiliating fashion, year in, year out, until eternity.

So, Aberdeen, Hibs & the Biggot brothers want a 10 team league, the rest want a 14 tteam league, so if the meet in the middle, why not just keep a 12 team league and overhaul that?

Winter Break

No top six split

All gate money split

More games in less time?

And never get 50/50 split EVER.

See Milne has decided to comment on the reconstruction on BBC webpage, especially like the last part from him:

"Best versus best at the highest level can be a good thing but, equally, I can see from a fans' perspective the desire to have greater numbers."

So - he knows the fans want a bigger league and can understand why but couldn't give a flying f**k what the fans say as he wants to maximise the amount of money he can get in the short term!

See Milne has decided to comment on the reconstruction on BBC webpage, especially like the last part from him:

"Best versus best at the highest level can be a good thing but, equally, I can see from a fans' perspective the desire to have greater numbers."

So - he knows the fans want a bigger league and can understand why but couldn't give a flying f**k what the fans say as he wants to maximise the amount of money he can get in the short term!

Fans want half price tickets but he aint going to go for that either. Fans want him to sign some big name players but he aint going to go for that either.