10-Team Spl Proposal 'dead'

See Milne has decided to comment on the reconstruction on BBC webpage, especially like the last part from him:

"Best versus best at the highest level can be a good thing but, equally, I can see from a fans' perspective the desire to have greater numbers."

So - he knows the fans want a bigger league and can understand why but couldn't give a flying f**k what the fans say as he wants to maximise the amount of money he can get in the short term!

he'd fit right in with the top dogs at FIFA and UEFA. keep the top dogs playing the top dogs to keep the money within a tight net.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ten is the best way forward for AFC .

A re jigged version of the 12 team SPL we have now is best for Scottish football.

One thing ive always wondered. Is there a rule that says teams must have a set number of subs ? why not have 11 + 3, which means we can reintroduce the reserve league, the reverse fixture played on the same day.

There isn't EPL have 5

SPL went to 7 to have 3 U21 in Squad, (originally was on bench but then as SPL started playing U21 in starting line up some teams were being forced to start U21 on Bench instead of in team to meet criteria so rule was changed to squad)

Some managers now complain that the rule means they cant put senior player in squad becuase of U21 rule - Stupidity of manager shown up here.

If the rule wasnt introduced they would only have 5 subs available and hence still wouldnt be able to put that 24 year old on the bench!

The lack of reserve league is daft BUT dont think the reserve team on the same day would work either as you would require a large squad, different days mean your subs get to play in the reserve games and so keep match fitness up

worst thing the SPL did in recent times is getting rid of the reserve league.

If we stay at 12 just tweak it - My tweak would be in the final 5 games you face teams to be 2 home 2 away - against your opponents rather than this attempt to make it 19H 19A which hasnt worked.

Over the years it would even out but would get rid of this stupid play 1 team at Home 3 times (or away)

I may be in a minority but I think the SPL is wrong not to go with 10 teams (and a better split of the money) i Think Milne was on the right side (even though he was with the OF) over the Tv deal and I think e is on the right side again going for a 10 team set up

• 1 month later...

Plans will be officially abandoned.

The Scottish Premier League is expected to drop plans to reduce the number of teams in the division to 10.

At Monday's AGM the league will examine the possibility of changing the current 12-team structure by introducing promotion/relegation play-offs.

Plans to merge the SPL with the Scottish Football League, and the possibility of an SPL television channel, will also be accelerated.

A report has been compiled into the viability of SPL TV.

An SPL steering group first introduced the idea of a top 10 with a new second tier of 10 last year and that was later revised to 10 in the top flight and 12 in the division below.

However, the plans have been met with resistance with many clubs keen on increasing the number of teams in the top league beyond 12.

The proposed merger between the two administrative bodies would see the SPL and the SFL-run First, Second and Third Divisions coming under the one banner.

SPL TV was assessed in 2002 but was not voted through and television rights for the league have been held by various broadcasters over the last nine years, with Sky and ESPN the current rights holders.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14174084.stm