Spaniard On Trial

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing at semi pro level.......sounds great.

Semi pro's for years have been knocking us out of cups and that's us with so called full time pro's, let's face it, the SPL is full of players being paid pro wages yet not delivering pro attitudes or skills, so a semi pro Spaniard has a fair-good chance of fitting in once he's used to the pace. I'm sure technically he'll be ok, boils down to mental & physical strength and his adaptability as well as Browns tactics and training.

Semi pro's for years have been knocking us out of cups and that's us with so called full time pro's, let's face it, the SPL is full of players being paid pro wages yet not delivering pro attitudes or skills, so a semi pro Spaniard has a fair-good chance of fitting in once he's used to the pace. I'm sure technically he'll be ok, boils down to mental & physical strength and his adaptability as well as Browns tactics and training.

In a one-off game, where the amateurs are psyched up and the opponents are Aberdeen then it's very possible, likely even, that the amateurs will knock Aberdeen out in cup competition.

An team of amateurs, even in the SPL, would be relegated over the course of a 40+ game season.

Bringing in players who's primary profession is, say, making burritos or selling donkey rides, doesn't seem (to me, at least) like a very good idea at all.

JC found f**k all from his dealings in the lower ehcelons of Holland, despite his persistent efforts from that avenue.

Craig Brown, on the other hand has not reached a point where as he can be judged on 5 years worth, nae a seasons worth of work. Lets give the guy a chance before the greetin faced selective element start crying for "Jimmy to be revered" being typed or said. The man is gone lets all positively or negatively get over that little detail.

JC found f**k all from his dealings in the lower ehcelons of Holland, despite his persistent efforts from that avenue.

Craig Brown, on the other hand has not reached a point where as he can be judged on 5 years worth, nae a seasons worth of work. Lets give the guy a chance before the greetin faced selective element start crying for "Jimmy to be revered" being typed or said. The man is gone lets all positively or negatively get over that little detail.

I don't see a problem with drawing a relevant parallel between the methodology of previous management teams and the current management team, particularly when one of those previous management teams was pilloried for doing exactly what the current management team is being 'trusted' in doing.

It's a valid question, and not one to be shouted down.

JC wasn't pilloried for taking in a player or two in pre-season to train so he could have a closer look, which is what Brown's presumably doing.

JC was rightly pilloried for taking a closer look, deciding to sign them up, pitching them into games then the whole Aberdeen support finding out at the exact same time that these players were invariably dung, pretty much without exception. See Bus, Daal, Bossu etc.

As said before, I'll only criticise Brown for this methodology if he signs them, plays them and they turn out to be absolute ding.

I think you're missing the broader point, that successive managers have now been reduced to shopping in the amateur market. And JC was very much given stick every time he brought in amateurs... in fact he was given stick just for bringing in trialists, amateur or not. Everything from, "We shouldna be looking at them." to "whit's wi aw the trialists?"

I don't think it's a coincidence that Brown is shopping the same markets.... that's where we're at.

Will not be at all surprised to see us sign up amateurs again.

JC wasn't pilloried for taking in a player or two in pre-season to train so he could have a closer look, which is what Brown's presumably doing.

JC was rightly pilloried for taking a closer look, deciding to sign them up, pitching them into games then the whole Aberdeen support finding out at the exact same time that these players were invariably dung, pretty much without exception. See Bus, Daal, Bossu etc.

As said before, I'll only criticise Brown for this methodology if he signs them, plays them and they turn out to be absolute ding.

He really doesn't have much experience of club Football. 13 years, and 9 of those were at Clyde.

In Craig Browns short club managerial career, has he ever had to rebuild like he is being asked to do now?

I just don't have the faith that a lot of you guys have on his domestic ability.

Maybe i'm wrong and you guys that attend matches seen something that bodes well for the future.

The reality is this is where we're shopping. More Lidl than Marks and Spencers.

Most likely they won't be good enough for us to be happy but we have a small squad and no money and we might end up with more Dave Buses but can continue to hope that we uncover some surprising ruby or sapphire if not a diamond. (gack)

Small squad + no money = trialists and amateurs and semi-pros (oh my)

JC, McGhee & Brown all had/have to balance the books, we all know this. We might sign a couple of decent/quality players, but we'll have to also add some lesser quality in order to keep the wages low, at least until our youngsters can step up and make a positive impact consistently. Excessive use of Pawlett, Jack & Fyvie will just result in more injuries, especially for Pawlett. Bare in mind we're talking about 1 semi pro player, not filling the team with 11 of them.

A team of 11 semi pros has in the past played our full time pro's off the park, even though it's a one off game, it's one off games that have happened all to often in cup competitions and friendlies. Makes me wonder just how big the gap is between modern semi pro's & our lot of wage stealing full timers.

Another joke of a player!

If this is where we are as a club, AFC better start lowering there admission prices.

I can watch amateurs for free on a Sunday morning.

well go and f**king watch them. this is the type of player we will be looking at. the whole of scottish football is looking at bargain basement because we and the rest cannot compete when it comes to money. this has been where we are as a club for while now so I'm not sure why you are only now starting to whine about it.

Novo was signed from Huesca, who in the season he played there were in the Tercera Division which is the 4th Division in Spain and is split into 18 regional areas with approx 20 teams in each league.

The Season Novo was there they finished 4th. He then moved to Raith Rovers the season after.

Felantix, who Nunez plays for play in Group 11 and have just finished 15th. All I can find out is he was suspended for at least 1 game last season due to points collected. I've seen the word Juvenile but can't tell if it is related to him.

While I'm not exactly convinced by this some of the utterly instant negative pish is somewhat pathetic!

My barrel thing was basically meaning to dig at the situation we are in rather than the player. Maybe he's good enough; however if for example a top tier Austrian team pulled some unknown player from our 4th tier over and signed him up and he was a s success I'd be surprised. "Why didn't anyone in out 3rd/2nd/1st tier spot this guy?" Just the fact we have to goto these lengths (with such low probabilities of success) is worrying. Hey we are where we are, Brown will do what he can, but it's not a very enriching feeling on the signings front.

That said I'm certain even the existing squad will be better prepared and more coherent than last year.

well go and f**king watch them. this is the type of player we will be looking at. the whole of scottish football is looking at bargain basement because we and the rest cannot compete when it comes to money. this has been where we are as a club for while now so I'm not sure why you are only now starting to whine about it.

Name me any other SPL team who have signed an amateur player from Spain?

It is very simple,

Continue in this vain of putting absolute sh*te on the park, and we will be in Administration within 5 years, with an average gate of 5000!

Bet all you happy clappers will be real happy then!

Any other business who invests so little on there product would of been closed down years ago.