US Open

Terrible putter and world number 1 until 2 weeks ago....yea, he's sh*t.

No mark yanks, every major you'll have no mark yanks near the top. Hamilton and Curtis won the open not long ago!

Garcia was hitting the ball brilliantly, he just can't putt. Stenson finished 23rd (+3), no idea why you're talking about him.

i didnt say he's sh*t, again you seem to have selective reading Dynamo.

Hamilton and Curtis won the British Open, a different test, so that has no relevance.

my point is players like garcia, stenson, quiros, davis love, hanson, day, are all long hitters and were in and around the lead for most of the 72 holes, thats not the norm for the us open, the soft conditions played into the long hitters hands ( the best being rory) and it became more of a target golf style tourny, which rory was excellent at, he was sublime, but im not sure it was a true style us open test.

Woods performance at his 1st Masters win, IMO was better.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ve been thinking about the performance of Rory and im not 100% sure about the "hype" of this being an all time superb perfromance, dont get me wrong his iron display was immense and off the tee it was outstanding, and as good as sir tiger at his best, but I think the course wasnt at its hardest, Im saying this because of the players in and around the leader.

Garcia, a couple of American dudes weve not seen much of, Westwood (who cant putt for toffee like Garcia) was this the true US Open style course? did the weather soften the greens? Stenson found form, Harrington made a cut and was in and around the tip 10 for a long time.....

anyone else believe young Rory"s performance has been sky-sports hyped?

I'm on the fence, and after Saturday I had no doubt Rory was going to win, but was it the performance of the century?

Think its fairly obvious the greens were softened so wasnt playing like a normal US Open but to take anything away from Rorys performance is just silly at best. Was the same for the rest of the 153 man field or whatever number it was. McIroy was fantastic.

Think its fairly obvious the greens were softened so wasnt playing like a normal US Open but to take anything away from Rorys performance is just silly at best. Was the same for the rest of the 153 man field or whatever number it was. McIroy was fantastic.

I've already stated his performance was sublime, but im not convinced ( and paul lawrie is floating about here today) if this was a true test of us open proportion.

wrong....stennson and garcia who have been terrible all season.....and a couple of no mark yanks and the terrible putter thats lee westwood, im not sure its all its being hyped up to be, add to that an amateur who was level par...

im not saying rorys performance was not outstanding, it was, however im just not convinced it was as brilliant as it has been made out by many.

Stenson has been terrible all season but Garcia has had a ok season so far for someone coming back really after a few poor seasons and failing out of love with the game. Hes had a few top tens and only missed one cut. Would have been clear in 2nd if he could putt!! Garrigus has won a PGA tournament and came close in a few others. Jason Day im pretty sure will win a major. I take your point about the greens being softer but to say it takes anything away from McIroy is ridicious.

Stenson has been terrible all season but Garcia has had a ok season so far for someone coming back really after a few poor seasons and failing out of love with the game. Hes had a few top tens and only missed one cut. Would have been clear in 2nd if he could putt!! Garrigus has won a PGA tournament and came close in a few others. Jason Day im pretty sure will win a major. I take your point about the greens being softer but to say it takes anything away from McIroy is ridicious.

what part of sublime dont you get?

my point is that I feel the course was not playing in a "true" us-open course, it suited long hitters and never showed its teeth.

Wouldnt say it suited long hitters, I would say it suited accuracy off the tees. I accept your point but it was the same for everyone else and no one else apart from Day got anywhere near double digets,

all us opens favour straight hitters any length, but this week players who have had little or no form made a challenge for a while, and big hitters like quiros, garcia, stennson, davis love, the 2 yanks, to name but a few that were in and about the leaderboard, something I wouldnt expect in a us open.

maybe Garcia and Love will be on the up after this, not sure?

but it was a sublime 4 days of golf, and you cannot take anything away from Rory, he hit it as well as anyone has in the last god knows how many years.

This is going to sound stupid to most and too simplistic but it doesn't mean that it's not true...

Not that it's possible for anything to be "too simple". Not being simple enough, both in thinking and expression is the most common communication failing.

Peter Alliss hit a truth last night when he said that Rory looks like he's enjoying himself, unlike way too many pro golfers.

Tiger's appeal in the early days when he was a young man was enhanced greatly by his smile. The cynical will point out that it's easy to smile when you're a hugely wealthy young man and successfully playing golf for a living but that would be to be ignorant of the value of the smile, both in establishing personal relationships and for one's public image.

Sergio looks like a broken man now, yet when he burst on the scene, the radiance of his smile came from a place called natural enthusiasm. This is a place that he's not only left behind but seems to have lost from his roadmap for ever.

Lee Westwood is trying so hard and is so desperate to win one major, he's another who doesn't look happy on the golf course. His ambition is burning so hard within him, it seems to have taken over and replaced every other human aspect, driving him on and sucking his personality dry of any natural appeal that may have existed.

Poulter has an edge which makes him difficult to warm to. Given his background - grinding from a not very good amateur to the top of the world - I see him as having a chip on his shoulder, knowing that he does have the technical game to excel but not quite getting there. I think he's been kidding himself and doesn't actually know if he's as good as he talks himself up to be, never having crossed the line in a major.

Harrington has always been intense but before he won majors, he did show a human side to him on the course. Since then, he's become ever so serious and looks almost weighed down by the responsibilities of being a multiple major winner. At least Kaymer has an excuse, being German.

Boo Weekley was popular because of his eccentric laissez faire and Bubba Watson is popular not just for his incredible shot-making but his on-course demeanour.

Peter Alliss is spot on. To be a superstar in this game, it's not enough to be the best golfer. You have to be popular and universally liked. Too many are unlovable.

and add Big Phil to that list, who hasnt lost his humanity and love of the people through his darkest hours.

Was i the only one who throught the dude cruising around with Gerry (rorys old man) wasthe spit of Shane Mcmahon :poster_oops:

I'm pretty sure it was shane o'mac, so may we be seeing young mcilroy in the wwe. he might make an intro as kerwin white's brother, who, by the way, has thee best entrance music ever!

dollah dollah!!

I'm pretty sure it was shane o'mac, so may we be seeing young mcilroy in the wwe. he might make an intro as kerwin white's brother, who, by the way, has thee best entrance music ever!

dollah dollah!!

HAHA Just googled it, it was him, Shane McMahon and Rory must work together.

Im not going mental after all :hysterical:

I reckon the golf was a catalyst for the Northern Ireland mentalness just recently.

When rorrington p. smythe was walking up to mark his card in the scorer's hut, someone tried to chuck an irish tricolour on him, it cut away and then went back and it was nowhere to be seen. Then a couple of minutes later rorrington's dad was holding the ulster flag above his head.